Why there isn't an ebay like site with buyer protection in Thailand?

muratremix

Craigslist is full of scammers. Your audience is only limited with your location (as you need to go and meet people).

Why no website that'll provide safe commerce (for used and new items) ?

Something like ebay, but buyer pay first, website holds payment until buyer receives and confirms delivery, seller receives money from website (after 5% or so commission cut) in a few days.

Thai to Thai is very easy, as they trust each other, send money to their bank account (which police can catch and blame somebody incase of fraud)

I want to sell a ps4 game (played, finished, collecting dust), but don't want to drive 1 hour to bangkok center for selling it. It seems nobody is willing to transfer money first (I don't blame them, but it is only 1000 baht)

Ebay Thailand is export only. Not local.

Lazada don't work for people selling used items.

There are a few sites in Thailand for selling second-hand goods. The ones that spring to mind are OLX (used to be Dealfish) and Kaidee. Both sites are in Thai only (which sort of makes sense, given the target market).

Just this week I listed my old laptop on both sites, and by the evening it was sold. But to be fair, I sold it face-to-face with the buyer, and the payment was in cash. If I didn't live in Bangkok, I imagine that it would have been harder.

I would also like to echo the above comment about Craigslist - I listed the laptop on there too, and have had nothing but people in other countries trying to get me to ship it to them in Nigeria. Not going to happen.

• Like 2

paypal "buyer protection" = assistance to fraud by buyers

as a seller I have been screwed twice by paypal I will never work with them again.

I've heard horror stories too. No wonder why nobody wants to accept paypal payment in Craigslist smile.png

Mmm , maybe because many of those selling on Craigslist wouldn't fit the criteria to get a Paypal account. I've used them a few times over many years and never had one problem. They don't give the best exchange rate but they sure are handy for immediate transfers.

What a naïve question. "Buyer protection" in Thailand is your two or three strong in-law men who can go "discuss" matters with your seller/customer. Works wonders and only costs a few beers for the men.wai.gif

If you do not have such in-laws, what the heck are you doing living in Thailand ?

What a naïve question. "Buyer protection" in Thailand is your two or three strong in-law men who can go "discuss" matters with your seller/customer. Works wonders and only costs a few beers for the men.wai.gif

If you do not have such in-laws, what the heck are you doing living in Thailand ?

Perhaps I don't believe in brute force?

J/K

How do you plan to find seller / buyer if you transferred money / send post ?

Buying from a shop with fixed address (Small thai shops) is easy.

Is any of these thai sites has buyer/seller protection?

Or you just meet them and sell in person?

We have 2 ebay like auction/sale sites in my homecountry. Winner / Buyer pays first, money is on hold in website, after confirmation of delivery of goods, seller receives money (after a commission is cut of course). Works great.

I would also like to echo the above comment about Craigslist - I listed the laptop on there too, and have had nothing but people in other countries trying to get me to ship it to them in Nigeria. Not going to happen.

Possibly the best scambait ever....

http://www.thescambaiter.com/forum/index.php?/topic/17878-anus-laptops-the-martins-cole-saga-complete/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeuPI_NTdHc

"We all know you love having the biggest Anus in town"!

cheesy.gif

Edited by Chicog

Dunno about craigslist, never used it. But I have been using eBay and Paypal for years. Before I moved here I sold everything on eBay and I shop eBay and get a package about every two months or so delivered here in Thailand. I have run thousands of dollars through my Paypal account and never had a problem. eBay Thailand is mostly stuff bought outside and shipped here. I have looked at it a few times but find the same stuff on eBay USA, UK or Australia. And they are in English. As someone suggested a COD package through the PO may be your best bet. Or just sell it locally for pick up only. Good luck.

So what's the game, and is the price negotiable? smile.png

I sold it to a Thai (or Asian) guy today.

But problem persists. I have other small items < 2000 baht value I want to get rid of, but I don't want to drive to city center every time meet somebody.

Perhaps I try Thai post Cash on Delivery, but how the buyer will trust it (It could be a rock, cucumber, or something disqusting inside the box, and you have to pay to receive box, no peeking around!)

Never hard a problem that wasn't resolved through Paypal.....been doing business since 2001 over 1000 transactions.

What do you think about nigerian / philippines scammers asking to pay by paypal?

Somebody even wants to buy car via paypal, thats amazing!