It's hard to understand why TAT always struggles to tell the truth

Or anyone else in the LOS for that mattercoffee1.gif

• Like 1

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For a country full of xenophobes, they are sure complaining a lot

XENOPHOBES? No! It's Thainess ! It was mandated back in 1939.

Read the 12 mandates by dictator Phibunsongkhram, military man who seized power, sent the king into exile and appointed himself as Prime Minister. He is the one who so expeditiously open the door of the country to the Japanese army that made itself at home for 2 years.

In one of the edicts, he specifies how Thais should be leery of foreigners, etc.

Perhaps he meant leery of the Chinese. After all they look almost the same and can breed and wriggle their way into powerful positions

• Like 2

Perhaps tourists are scared of the recent implementation of draconian laws and ever changing rules and regulations. Tourists from so called 'free' countries don't like being told when to be in bed (curfew), having to carry their passports with them at all times, report to immigration everytime they change accomodation and being subject to random piss testing be it walking down the street at night or laying on the beach during the day.

Maybe you're not familiar with 'free' countries. If visiting many Western European countries (often regarded as free), you have to report to police, carry ID at all times (even if you're a citizen of that country) and can be stopped and search at any time, as many are. There isn't much difference at all, except that you seem to ignore the bad things that happen in 'free' countries. Just loom at the 'free' USA. They even tell their citizen where they can and can't go on holiday. You can also be jailed for life for small offences like smoking cannabis. Give me Thailand over 'free' America any day. America has some of the most draconian laws in the world.

There's one in every thread. Of topic and ignorant.

IIf I'm just walking down the street I don't need ID.If a cop stops me I don't have to talk to him and I can just keep walking. I don't have to identify myself. The sole exception is where he has probable cause to believe I've committed a crime, and he arrests me. Even then I have the right to remain silent. If he's wrong about the arrest he's going down hard for false arrest. If I'm carrying a gun he can't require me to show him my license. I'm innocent until proven guilty and he doesn't have a reason to know I don't have a license so he's screwed.

How much of those attach to you in Thailand?

Decide for yourself which of these you'd like to look at.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=how+to+talk+to+the+police

more or less true if you're white. If not, overwhelmingly untrue.

Edited by quidnunc
  • Like 2

Read the 12 mandates by dictator Phibunsongkhram, military man who seized power, sent the king into exile and appointed himself as Prime Minister. He is the one who so expeditiously open the door of the country to the Japanese army that made itself at home for 2 years.

In one of the edicts, he specifies how Thais should be leery of foreigners, etc.

Perhaps he meant leery of the Chinese. After all they look almost the same and can breed and wriggle their way into powerful positions

Racist much?

I have just returned from a short break in Cambodia, and as much as it was a nice change, I DEFINETLY could not

Live there, Rubbish and Litter everywhere, conditions of the roads were dismal..., quality of life would be less for sure.

For me anyway..

On a positive note, the Cambodians were very friendly and they spoke basic English....

Food was nice...

It is amazing the number of people who criticize Thailand and have no idea of life in

other countries other than there own.

The last timed I was there I had a guide who spoke English but didn't understand it. LOL.

Also they use American dollars.

Sorry but you have lost me ???

No problem. Go to Cambodia and you will see what I mean.

• Like 1

That is understandable when they conquer your country.

So TOT is going to focus on "all dimensions" of the MICE sector... a sector responsible for just over 4.8% of the revenue total this year. Brilliant. Unless it is a sector that "should" be responsible for 50% and they are going to make it perform to expectation, they are pissing up a rope again.

You're right regarding numbers but the MICE sector is a much bigger earner for the country than regular tourists, it's also an area which diminished due to the coup, therefore, for once, I think the Ministry is making a good move in this regard.

Yeah and I wonder why that is? you silly pricks. A mate of mine who works offshore and spends $100,000s of dollar in Thailand every year just got refused a Tourist Visa. He's been here 9 years and they do that because he used to come back and forth on a visa exempt cause he works 4 weeks on and 4 weeks off.

Thai immigration, you reap what you sow. Som Num Naa

All of you will be out of a job soon, because without the foreigners coming into Thailand, there will be no need for immigration LOL cheesy.gif

• Like 2

The figures keep changing why is that , if they have nothing to say why do they keep talking.

why do they keep saying more and more keep coming. Been that way since I first came here 8 years ago. But it seems that people don't believe the numbers.

Yes they are optimistic because history bears them out as being right. The numbers are growing. Maybe not at a steady rate such as this year where low season is lower because of political unrest but high season with no political unrest will grow.

Yeah and I wonder why that is? you silly pricks. A mate of mine who works offshore and spends $100,000s of dollar in Thailand every year just got refused a Tourist Visa. He's been here 9 years and they do that because he used to come back and forth on a visa exempt cause he works 4 weeks on and 4 weeks off.

All of you will be out of a job soon, because without the foreigners coming into Thailand, there will be no need for immigration LOL cheesy.gif

Well I'm surprised to hear of anyone on a 28 day rotation being refused entrance, especially at the airport.

Well I'm surprised to hear of anyone on a 28 day rotation being refused entrance, especially at the airport.

I didn't say he got refused entrance at an airport did I? I said he got refused a Tourist Visa. An application at Hull Consulate to be precise.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Perhaps tourists are scared of the recent implementation of draconian laws and ever changing rules and regulations. Tourists from so called 'free' countries don't like being told when to be in bed (curfew), having to carry their passports with them at all times, report to immigration everytime they change accomodation and being subject to random piss testing be it walking down the street at night or laying on the beach during the day.

Maybe you're not familiar with 'free' countries. If visiting many Western European countries (often regarded as free), you have to report to police, carry ID at all times (even if you're a citizen of that country) and can be stopped and search at any time, as many are. There isn't much difference at all, except that you seem to ignore the bad things that happen in 'free' countries. Just loom at the 'free' USA. They even tell their citizen where they can and can't go on holiday. You can also be jailed for life for small offences like smoking cannabis. Give me Thailand over 'free' America any day. America has some of the most draconian laws in the world.

As an American of a half century in age, I've never been told by my government where I can and can't go except for Cuba of course which I admit is quite stupid. I can travel around the country freely and only asked for identification if speeding on the roadways or breaking the law or suspected of doing so (not so easy for black people) or travelling through an airport. I haven't yet visited a country where you may not get arrested for smoking pot. I certainly wouldn't smoke it here in Thailand, that's for sure. While you may get arrested in the USA for smoking, you won't go to jail unless you have enough pot to be considered a dealer. Most officers would probably just make you destroy the joint as the paperwork is too much work to do.

• Like 2

I didn't say he got refused entrance at an airport did I? I said he got refused a Tourist Visa. An application at Hull Consulate to be precise.

Ok, my mistake, I thought you meant refused entrance on a tourist visa, I'm a little tired today.

This is actually very concerning.

I've never heard of anyone being refused a tourist visa at a consulate in the UK, especially Hull.

This should be followed up and verified in the Visa section as it's big news if there's been a change in the policy for issuing tourist visas in far away consulates.

Edited by ukrules

Ok, my mistake, I thought you meant refused entrance on a tourist visa, I'm a little tired today.

This is actually very concerning.

I've never heard of anyone being refused a tourist visa at a consulate in the UK, especially Hull.

This should be followed up and verified in the Visa section as it's big news if there's been a change in the policy for issuing tourist visas in far away consulates.

It could be because the consulates don't do visa's by post in the UK now...Only way to get a visa by post is through Thai embassy in London..I could be wrong but this is probably a reason why he didn't get a visa...You can get visa's from consulates but only by appointment and in person.....new system now..

I think this representation of Thais as xenophobic is an outdated and inaccurate characterization.

Most of this perception is based on immigration laws that are 40 years old and have had little change to reflect the change in the Thai mindset about foreigners. As well as the ongoing ramblings of Farang sitting on bar stools and talking out of their asses about Thais.

I've lived here long enough to know (10 years) that most Thais are fine with foreigners and alot of our ideas.

There is no way a xenophobic society would embrace so many Western ideas and products the way Thailand does.

I think people who say this about Thais should probably go and look-up the word in a dictionary and see that it actually is NOT true about the people here.

• Like 1

Just the other week TAT made a statement that tourism is up by so many percent,

Now it's not reaching the target ?

And tomorrow?

It's hard to understand why TAT always struggles to tell the truth

Bunch of idiots.... like so many other "official" authorities in Thailand coffee1.gif

Please explain. The name calling leaves out the information as to why they are idiots.

Examples are nice and better if recent and first hand.

With nearly every country in the world issuing travel warning over a long period of time what did they expect..a rise in numbers.

There's such a huge choice for tourism throughout the world why does Thailand always think its deserves the lions share.

Posted on another topic but applies here

I'm afraid in these days of facebook and trip advisor type sites the news gets around..I know some friends who thought of going to Thailand

and spent along time after the coup looking up info on travel to Thailand...They ended up going to Greece...Too much in the news and on the web now

I'm afraid...And I actually hope the place does change for the better..a step back or two and in the future maybe it will be a better place..

I'm not going to hold my breath!

• Like 1

Yes, Thailand is getting more expensive, but name a country where is is'nt and a decent way of life can be found. There are many small changes constantly happening. However, generally life in Thailand is pretty laid back and free. Get used to the corruption especially with Police and politicians and Thailand has a lot to offer.Anyhow it suits me and if it did not, i would not sit howling like a lazy dog on a thistle, but just move on. So please take this advice and stop whingeing. rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

Not to worry. This time tomorrow we will be hearing Bangkok will need 3 new airports to cope with the influx of expected new arrivals shortly.

Exactly what I thought reading the article. And tomorrow we will read: 10 mio Chinese promised TAT officials to spend their holidays in the next high season here.