Number of foreign visitors to Thailand lower than expected so far this year

webfact

For a country full of xenophobes, they are sure complaining a lot

Their concerns appear to be money driven. I get the impression they would like to see virtual tourism. That's where they can extract the tourists money, without the tourist setting foot inside the country.

I think they would love that. That way, no one would get to see the reality of the cities and resorts in which they are staying and they would only have an impression of the resorts that TAT gave them

I hear they use lots of pictures of Boaracay in their marketing.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have just returned from a short break in Cambodia, and as much as it was a nice change, I DEFINETLY could not

Live there, Rubbish and Litter everywhere, conditions of the roads were dismal..., quality of life would be less for sure.

For me anyway..

On a positive note, the Cambodians were very friendly and they spoke basic English....

Food was nice...

I feel the same way about Laos

I always enjoy my visa runs to Vientiene - nice food, nice beer, nice local girls but going to Savanakhet really sort of opened my eyes a bit in regards to the reality of the country.

I have just returned from a short break in Cambodia, and as much as it was a nice change, I DEFINETLY could not

Live there, Rubbish and Litter everywhere, conditions of the roads were dismal..., quality of life would be less for sure.

For me anyway..

On a positive note, the Cambodians were very friendly and they spoke basic English....

Food was nice...

On another note, I've had a friend tell me he won't be visiting this year as, after extensively touring Cambodia the previous year, he prefers that country as he isn't made to feel like a walking ATM and the country is still relatively pristine in terms of natural resources. He's young and not a monger, and I'm guessing the still cheap and widely available access to hos and bugger all else sans shopping malls, to be the only draw here in Thailand now. .

As to the rubbish, when I visited PP and SR a few years back, their garbage problem was in no way up er, down, to the standard of the mountains of trash still littering Phuket, that 'world class holiday destination'.

And what about the Philippines ?

You feel really welcome there !

They always greet u like " good morning Sir !"

And they speak perfect English.

Regulations are also not so tough for staying or opening a business.

Also the girls are great !

They have thousands of islands, beautiful beaches.

So maybe an option to consider as a next destination by all those deceived by Thailand practices, corruption, or feeling like a walking ATM , or duped by dual- pricing etc!

• Like 1

With nearly every country in the world issuing travel warning over a long period of time what did they expect..a rise in numbers.

There's such a huge choice for tourism throughout the world why does Thailand always think its deserves the lions share.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Thailand isn't that special anymore. If I were a first time visitor, I'd probably get tired of seeing so many other foreigners everywhere I went and all the scams, haggling with taxi drivers, the smog, traffic and pollution of Bangkok, Pattaya, Phuket and really wouldn't understand all the hype.

Perhaps tourists are scared of the recent implementation of draconian laws and ever changing rules and regulations. Tourists from so called 'free' countries don't like being told when to be in bed (curfew), having to carry their passports with them at all times, report to immigration everytime they change accomodation and being subject to random piss testing be it walking down the street at night or laying on the beach during the day.

That is only a part, but worth of mouth go around that Thailand isn't as safe as before. the rip offs, the dirt everywhere.

Want to go diving? Marine life is in bad conditions. Want a taxi...get "no meter". Read "martial law".

Additionally Europe getting poor. Less families can just pay a 700-1000 Euro/person flight..... Before the flight was the same but at least you knew that Thailand was very cheap. Now it isn't cheap anymore.

That all adds up.

Your comment doesn't really add up. France is the world's #1 tourist destination and it is not a cheap place to go to. Flights to Thailand have not changed dramatically in the 30 years that I have been travelling from Canada to South East Asia. Yes the cost of almost everything has gone up in Thailand but it is far cheaper to holiday here than in North America, Australia and Europe. The numbers will go back up this next season as more people realize that this military takeover is just what Thailand needs to restore order, stability and an even playing field for businesses to prosper, rather than just a few mafia type groups.

Yeah but travellers have other options now. 30 years ago Vietnam was emerging from a 2-decades old war with the USA and it's allies (including Thailand BTW), Cambodia was emerging from 4 years of tyranny under the Khmer Rouge that nearly destroyed the country, Laos was closed too and parts of the country (mostly in the east along the Vietnamese border) became an unwilling participant in the US led war in Vietnam, Myanmar then known as Burma was closed and run under the iron fist of a mad general who decided on the whim of a hat to change sides of the road that traffic drives on, issued strange new denomination bills (like 45, 75 and 90 Kyat), declaring the old ones invalid and basically closed off the country from the rest of the world. China too was basically closed and only just starting to open up after the Cultural Revolution and a border war with Vietnam over Vietnam's ouster of the Khmer Rouge, a Chinese ally. Back then Thailand was a diamond in the rough and one of the few places in the region open for business, only Singapore and maybe Malaysia (although Malaysia had been plagued by race riots and a communist insurgency some years before that) were in similarly fortunate positions.

That is no longer the case. Nowadays every country in the region including all the countries I have mentioned are open and ready for business. Tourists have choices now. If they want cheap, fun and exciting any one of the countries in the region are good options. Thailand has had a good run, but nowadays it's up for some stiff competition.

Maybe you're not familiar with 'free' countries. If visiting many Western European countries (often regarded as free), you have to report to police, carry ID at all times (even if you're a citizen of that country) and can be stopped and search at any time, as many are. There isn't much difference at all, except that you seem to ignore the bad things that happen in 'free' countries. Just loom at the 'free' USA. They even tell their citizen where they can and can't go on holiday. You can also be jailed for life for small offences like smoking cannabis. Give me Thailand over 'free' America any day. America has some of the most draconian laws in the world.

I've traveled all over the world.

Russia and Thailand, the only two countries that expected foreigners to report in, once they had entered the country.

This game seems to only play in communist and dictator led countries.

Reporting to police/immigration in Western Europe countries,

England No, France No, Germany No, Austria No, Spain No, Switzerland No, Holland No, Italy No.

What western countries were you thinking of then?

ID of some form required almost everywhere in the world (almost anything with your name on it will do), passport no.

• Like 2

KamalaRider

I don't know where you are from but in my native country, we don't need to carry an id or we can't be stopped by the police for a random check without cause.

At any occasion when you use drugs, Sweden is more lenient towards using it than Thailand any day of the week.

If I travel anywhere in EU, I don't need to carry my passport at any time, in fact I don't even need one to travel between countries, although some sort of identification is neccessary, driver license or id card.

Please exclude EU from your description, I totally agree with you about USA but not the EU

**** Sorry KamalaRider but your knowledege of USA is lacking if you agree with IdnGuy You will not serve a lifetime in jail for smoking canabis , maybe some jail time if selling (drug dealer) a large amount. I am from Massachusttes in USA and you will at most be given a small fine if smoking canabis--the law was changed recently. In the state of Colorado they grow and sell it legally and many other states have decriminalised it so you only get a fine for smoking it. Except for Cuba the Gov doesn't tell us where we can vacation but may issue travel advisories on places it deems dangerous but if you still want to go you can.

And what about the Philippines ?

You feel really welcome there !

They always greet u like " good morning Sir !"

And they speak perfect English.

Regulations are also not so tough for staying or opening a business.

Also the girls are great !

They have thousands of islands, beautiful beaches.

So maybe an option to consider as a next destination by all those deceived by Thailand practices, corruption, or feeling like a walking ATM , or duped by dual- pricing etc!

Phillippines--Really? Thousands of islands , southern Muslim insurgents who kidnap foreigners for ransome , poor infastrucure and economy. That is why so many Pinay's work over sea's to send money back home. Even come to Thailand where wages are low compared to EU or USA but come here and work as teachers, nurses because they are paid more in Thailand than working in the Phillippines.

Have 2 personal friends and know of 2 friends of friends that were ripped off by their Pinay brides shortly after getting to USA, filed for divorice and tried to get large settlements.

What a surprise; just keep changing the immigration laws almost daily and make sure that even Immigration officials don't know the laws.

The problem is the consulates and embassies are probably not even well briefed. A friend of mine applied for a visa in Switzerland from the Thai consulate and received yesterday a phone call from a rude employee telling him, that he has been in Thailand too many times and they could not grant a visa anymore. He visits Thailand since 40 (!) years, staying each time 2-3 months, then returning to Switzerland. He is above 50 and financially well off. He spents a fair amount of money here during his trips.

That is not the way how to deal with friends of Thailand!

For a country full of xenophobes, they are sure complaining a lot

I think this representation of Thais as xenophobic is an outdated and inaccurate characterization.

Most of this perception is based on immigration laws that are 40 years old and have had little change to reflect the change in the Thai mindset about foreigners. As well as the ongoing ramblings of Farang sitting on bar stools and talking out of their asses about Thais.

I've lived here long enough to know (10 years) that most Thais are fine with foreigners and alot of our ideas.

There is no way a xenophobic society would embrace so many Western ideas and products the way Thailand does.

I think people who say this about Thais should probably go and look-up the word in a dictionary and see that it actually is NOT true about the people here.

I think the concept of Thai Xenophobia is the product of people who are too stupid to identify a simple difference of opinion and when it goes against them have no real argument so resort to simplistic accusations, racist and ad hominem attacks

I think.....say that again??

• Like 1

It's almost like they are trying to force foreigners to come here with their constant obsession about tourist numbers and mass tourism. What for? So they can be subjected to dual pricing? Haha

Anyway, we are all free to choose where we want to go, and the fact is, everyone I know living in various countries has been to Thailand. It's been done now let's move onto some new destinations and some more interesting news.

I second that motion clap2.gif

Surpize, surprize... you can't demonize us "whities" first and then expect to flood your country with tourists, can you?

Another self-inflicted shot in your own foot, Thailand - well done!

Excuse me, but by more accurate "visual" perceptions, Thais (especially the more brown-skinned)seem to obsessively "idolize" the whites, while "demonizing" the black/African expats. Considerable verbal contributions to that phobia, often being made by both white Americans & their British bar-counterparts. A real bunch of sad-sacks. Cheerscoffee1.gif

FYI-Thai bar-girls couldn't keep their mouths shut, even if their lives depended upon it. whistling.gif

Yeah and I wonder why that is? you silly pricks. A mate of mine who works offshore and spends $100,000s of dollar in Thailand every year just got refused a Tourist Visa. He's been here 9 years and they do that because he used to come back and forth on a visa exempt cause he works 4 weeks on and 4 weeks off.

Thai immigration, you reap what you sow. Som Num Naa

All of you will be out of a job soon, because without the foreigners coming into Thailand, there will be no need for immigration LOL cheesy.gif

As long as they keep the Chiang Mai office open it will be OK with me. You can figure out how to stay in Thailand yourself.

• Like 1

Perhaps tourists are scared of the recent implementation of draconian laws and ever changing rules and regulations. Tourists from so called 'free' countries don't like being told when to be in bed (curfew), having to carry their passports with them at all times, report to immigration everytime they change accomodation and being subject to random piss testing be it walking down the street at night or laying on the beach during the day.

Stop spreading mis- information.

So TOT is going to focus on "all dimensions" of the MICE sector... a sector responsible for just over 4.8% of the revenue total this year. Brilliant. Unless it is a sector that "should" be responsible for 50% and they are going to make it perform to expectation, they are pissing up a rope again.

You're right regarding numbers but the MICE sector is a much bigger earner for the country than regular tourists, it's also an area which diminished due to the coup, therefore, for once, I think the Ministry is making a good move in this regard.

Granted, 3.45% of vistitors accounting for 4.8% of revenue makes your statement true. The question is, is it significant. And can it be increased significantly. What percentage of the global "MICE" trade does Thailand currently get, vs what percent of global tourism in general.

I have my doubts about the tourist ministry managing what is essentially commerce. I realize tourism is commerce, but what I mean is, luring conventions in has far more in common with luring business and investment than increasing tourist numbers. A convention IS a business unto itself, just like a travelling circus! It will be looking at maximizing its income from the convention, not having a good time with the wife and kids. Just off the top of my head, I would think they are far more conservative about forcing their members / attendees to travel to a country with no-go travel advisories and soldiers in the streets, than the general tourist making decisions just for himself.

Just some rambling thoughts since I have no data other than what is in the article (and no desire to look any up!! whistling.gif ) It is a deeper question than I originally thought about, but I still think expanding the bulk of your visitorship might be better than focussing on a small, albeit more profitable, segment.

I personally believe that this sharp fall is probably because of the numbers of total trash that are being encouraged to come to these fair shores purely for the purpose of boosting tourist numbers. You may think this post may be from some snob, but I know garbage when I see it :( It is going to get worse !

• Like 1

Yeah and I wonder why that is? you silly pricks. A mate of mine who works offshore and spends $100,000s of dollar in Thailand every year just got refused a Tourist Visa. He's been here 9 years and they do that because he used to come back and forth on a visa exempt cause he works 4 weeks on and 4 weeks off.

All of you will be out of a job soon, because without the foreigners coming into Thailand, there will be no need for immigration LOL cheesy.gif

I work offshore on the same rotation,i get a yearly non im o visa,come in and out no problems,been doing this for 18 years.never had any probs with immigration.

As long as they keep the Chiang Mai office open it will be OK with me. You can figure out how to stay in Thailand yourself.

If the guy aint figured it out after 9 years theres no helping him,its so easy.

I work offshore on the same rotation,i get a yearly non im o visa,come in and out no problems,been doing this for 18 years.never had any probs with immigration.

Well 6 months work and he makes $100,000 must be a good job.

The difference between you and him is you are not interested in bashing the visa rules because they are not changing any thing just asking people to get the proper visa which you have and his mate preferred to ignore and get his buddy to complain on Thai Visa.

Standard fare for some of the posters here on Thai Visa. they need no facts and if they have them they don't reveal them as it will not allow them to bash the government.

I wonder if his mate is really not him.

Well 6 months work and he makes $100,000 must be a good job.

The difference between you and him is you are not interested in bashing the visa rules because they are not changing any thing just asking people to get the proper visa which you have and his mate preferred to ignore and get his buddy to complain on Thai Visa.

Standard fare for some of the posters here on Thai Visa. they need no facts and if they have them they don't reveal them as it will not allow them to bash the government.

I wonder if his mate is really not him.

$100,000 is quite average for an offshore worker. If you are visa exempt and leave the country for a month then return, that's not abusing the rules. If he was to do border runs every month like some used to, then I would agree that was abusing the rules.

I have a Non O married to a Thai woman.

Am I missing something here? I thought TAT wanted less tourists. The 'big plan' was to attract high end, high spending tourists and let the backpackers go to Cambodia or Laos. Wasn't that the plan? The inevitable result of such a policy is a long term decline in tourist numbers - which is what TAT want. Isn't it? ....or has this just not been thought through as usual?

Am I missing something here? I thought TAT wanted less tourists. The 'big plan' was to attract high end, high spending tourists and let the backpackers go to Cambodia or Laos. Wasn't that the plan? The inevitable result of such a policy is a long term decline in tourist numbers - which is what TAT want. Isn't it? ....or has this just not been thought through as usual?

Yes, they don't want to see those young fresh faced and generally very well behaved people out to explore the world, the ones who will grow up to become the high spenders of the future....instead they'd rather have bus loads full of, well...I think we all know...

Well with bars getting shorter hours hookers and ladyboys being arrested the jetski scams Dual pricing Corrupt police quality spitters oops sorry Chinese Taxi scams, Oh forget Up the numbers I say 20 billion tourist just promote free sex for all.

It's not true -- ask TAT. The decline was from illegal farangs teaching in Thailand no longer being counted in the numbers as tourists for border runs, and now the border Immigration official's have been told to be "understanding" -- which means "white people teachers yes, Filipinos and others 'no" Yeah, that's it! It's the farang's fault! Problem solved!

I swear Thais think no one else can read critically...

tongue.png

"He attributed the failure to meet the target to political problems earlier this year."

During the "political problems" I was unconcerned. But when they started punishing the teachers for the failure of the schools to do what they said they would do, I began to pay close attention.

When they used the term National Security Risk in connection with English teachers...

I was coming to teach, but now it is off to Norway to help my friend train his sled dogs.

Glad I didn't sell my cold weather gear yet.