NCPO unlikely to lift martial law as opposition remains

webfact

NCPO unlikely to lift martial law as opposition remains
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The National Council for Peace and Order is unlikely to lift the martial law in the near future as groups campaigning against the junta have been detected both in Thailand and abroad.

The NCPO Friday did not discuss the lifting of martial law during its meeting Friday as earlier expected.

Prime Minister and NCPO chief Gen Prayuth Chan-ocha assigned NCPO secretary-general and Deputy Defence Minister Gen Udomdej Sitabutr to chair the meeting.

First Army Area Command Lt Gen Thirachai Nakwanit had said the NCPO might be asked to consider lifting martial law in tourist areas during the Friday meeting.

But the meeting did not discuss the lifting of the martial law. A source said the regional Army areas are still in the process of evaluating the situation before considering whether the martial law should be lifted.

The source said the Second and Third Army areas, which cover the North and Northeast, have detected underground groups campaigning against the NCPO.

The two regional Army areas found that the groups dared not campaign against the NCPO openly because martial law is still imposed.

The meeting was also informed of campaigns against the NCPO via online media. The meeting was informed that a group of opponents also campaigns against the NCPO in Japan and had submitted a letter to the Japanese prime minister, alleging that the junta is torturing opponents.

Intelligence officials also reported to the meeting that opponent groups had revived their campaigns against the junta since the Cabinet was formed.

The officials said the groups did not dare to campaign openly because the martial law is still imposed so they demanded the lifting of the martial law first.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/NCPO-unlikely-to-lift-martial-law-as-opposition-re-30242593.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-09-05

• Like 1

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When some underground terrorist group still active in Thailand, Martial law will stay in force.............

The first duty of the government is to protect innocent citizen and to keep law and order in the country..........

If these groups were really hell bent on causing destruction i have no doubt they would regardless of ML.

ML does not stop attacks in the south.

They are never going to get everyone to agree with it, so it is useless trying- there will always be descent, that is normal.

I think they should at least try partially lifting it, and if incidents start to occur put it back in place.

There is a cause and effect for everything. The reason the attacks stopped is because the protesters went home, i presume not because the people who were carrying out the attacks were scared of the army. Unfortunately it was shown in 2010, they did not have much fear of army presence then.

The longer restrictions stay in place, the more and more ill feeling will simmer.

• Like 1

Martial law stopped the daily terrorist attacked by the red shirts in their tracks.

Some say Martial law impinges on tourist numbers. I say it is the lesser of two evils. Terrorist attacks in the capital city had more of a negative effect on tourism not to mention the loss of innocent life.

My family thank martial law for purging society from the evils of the red shirt terrorists and for the safety of me and mine I hope it stays until the infestation is cleared from the blood soaked shadows.

Obvious government troll is obvious.

Every dictatorship in history has depended for its power and influence on people like this.

I believe they're referred to as "useful idiots".

• Like 2

Flashback:

(Thai PBS 2014-05-21)

“Gen. Prayuth stated that the reasons for the declaration martial law was to ensure peace and public order and he didn’t want to see bloodshed anymore on the country.”

Gen. Prayuth said, “Let me say this, I am not concerned or particular to any side nor am I involved with the government. The Army is doing this for the sake of everyone in the country and no one should be worried and carry on with your regular routines. We will try not be unduly infringing upon the freedom and liberties of the public.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back To The Future:

Now Gen. Prayuth holds absolute power over the three branches of government through his position as NCPO Chief, Prime Minister, and Defense Minister. He has effectively banned political parties and all public protest activities of any nature, controls Thai media content, and directs the police as if it were a unit of the army.

Thailand now has an Interim Constitution which prescribes that Thailand is a “unitary and democratic monarchy,” that "Sovereign power belongs to all Thais," and recognizes “human dignity, rights, liberties and equality of the Thais.”

Prayuth would seem to have all the mechanisms in place to deal with groups campaigning against the junta both in Thailand and abroad. But continued use of martial law seems to be more an overkill of civil liberties for the sake of an elusive minority of political opposition. If so, one might expect a continued “lockdown” of the nation well into 2015 and perhaps beyond. This would not bode well for dispelling the idea that Thailand has given up its democratic foundations and embarked on establishing a more permanent dictatoral form of government.

• Like 2

I see no problem with the status quot remaining for the time being except it belies the principle of democracy which can only truly exist in an environment of opposition and equality.

The interim government is the decree of a military dictatorship and as such will not want a return to normality until all of the citizens bow to their wishes and whims.

• Like 1

If they lift martial law, then it will be business as usual.

Corruption runs deep in Thailand, and the Army have their work cut out for them before they get anywhere near solving the issues which have prevented the country from forging ahead. Whilst I was somewhat skeptical of the coup, in a strange way it has improved life, and certainly put all those thinking of indulging in such questionable activities on their guard.

Thailand seems not ready for democracy, a word so frequently used by politicians, but not fully understood. True democracy lies within the people themselves, and this can only be achieved if everyone is aligned.

Martial law stopped the daily terrorist attacked by the red shirts in their tracks.

Some say Martial law impinges on tourist numbers. I say it is the lesser of two evils. Terrorist attacks in the capital city had more of a negative effect on tourism not to mention the loss of innocent life.

My family thank martial law for purging society from the evils of the red shirt terrorists and for the safety of me and mine I hope it stays until the infestation is cleared from the blood soaked shadows.

There should be a ban on marching. Northern Ireland used to have this problem

If people wish to have a march then it should be cleared with the army and strict rules. Protect freedom of speech but the moment they step out of line. Close them down and arrest all of them

If they really feel strong about the march then they should not care about the risk of being arrested and it is up to the the organisers to take he risk of their supporters acting up

The other hand they can avoid all this by not marching at all

The other things is has to be fare on both sides

Cannot be leniate on those who the government like and not on the other side

If laws are broken then both sides bust face the same penalty

Yingluk made this biggest mistake by asking for amnesty for all her gang rather than offering the same for all

When some underground terrorist group still active in Thailand, Martial law will stay in force.............

The first duty of the government is to protect innocent citizen and to keep law and order in the country..........

It's also the duty of a government to protect the liberties of the population.

Most countries except in Thailand where "happiness" comes first.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

Crazy Fuzzy Warm Feeling.. Until you see a Dictator. Think it another way. Those terrorist attacks with military m79 grenades and snipers stop because the military stopped pulling the pins and pulling the triggers. Great strategy to cease power forever.

• Like 1

The NCPO controls media content. Only sanitised versions are able to be published.

I have not read much in the way of discontent in recent media against the NCPO. So if they want to maintain martial law, what is not being told?

Are people suffering with this purge?

Maybe the slumbering buffalo is starting to wake up?

• Like 2