Lite Beer

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Why always try to distract with the 'but what about the army, budgets, etc."

AS for the rest, yes too soon to tell, but till now the NCPO has done some good work. As far as I'm concerned that includes sidelining all politicians.

Why?

My point is that if the Junta is serious about anti-corruption they might lead with transparency of their own 193 billion baht budget. If they are serious about reform, they might start with reforms of the Military.

I have little confidence personally, but time will tell.

Pray tell, what reforms might came to mind after the seven months chaos preceding the May 23rd coup?

Anyway the budgets are controlled by the NLA, the Ministers and so on. Strictly speaking that is. As the NLA will report assets and with maybe half of the cabinet is member of the NLA (to be checked though, I"m not convinced of this yet). also most cabinet members will report assets. That would include people like the Minister of Defence I think.wink.png

The NACC said Junta personnel don't have to declare assets, which is worrying. The NLA, in theory should be open to the NACC scrutiny. Will that include Military figures, many of whom also hold positions in NLA and the new cabinet?

While the budgets are set by the ministers and bureaucrats, once the military budget has been handed over, there is practically no external accountability of where the budget goes, and has not been for a long time.

If the anti-corruption platform is genuine, one might reasonably expect military and military personnel to lead the way from the front, and open their own departments to scrutiny and reform. IMO.

and on and on we go.

The NACC said the NLA members will be requested to declare assets. That's independent of whether they have blue, red, or yellow underwear. Cabinet members which are also NLA member will therefor automatically also need to declare assets.

Whereas I agree it would be nice if the NCPO and even our PM would declare assets I don't think it matters much. It's not like they control or spent the budgets.

The spending is with the Ministries and the Ministries report on how things are spent, or should be. It would seem that reporting can be minimal. Here we have the need for an independent auditing commission with Gen. Prayuth already having mentioned to need to have this commission given more powers. Nice reform that.

The single biggest budget is Ministry of Education 460 billion Baht out of 2.52 trillion National Budget. Already targetted for reforms. May be a struggle to come with acceptable reforms which can be kept for a decade to have any effect.

but ... but ... but the military. Well, their time will come.

I guess some still don't realise that reforms for all with the same rights and duties for all may be more than they really wanted to ask for.

Edited by rubl

All smoke and bloody mirrors, fix a few beaches, half fix the lottery price scam, take some land back but don't penalise any state official, and on and on it goes. The taxi drivers are still up to their old tricks, jet ski operators are still scamming, tourist are still being ripped off, child labour is still continuing and local officials are still hi so-ing it. Today, tomorrow, next week and beyond it will still be in your face. The one and only hope this country has is to be placed at the bottom of the dung pile when ASEAN becomes a reality, maybe, just maybe the message might get through, if not the country is headed for total ruin.

Pray tell, what reforms might came to mind after the seven months chaos preceding the May 23rd coup?

Anyway the budgets are controlled by the NLA, the Ministers and so on. Strictly speaking that is. As the NLA will report assets and with maybe half of the cabinet is member of the NLA (to be checked though, I"m not convinced of this yet). also most cabinet members will report assets. That would include people like the Minister of Defence I think.wink.png

The NACC said Junta personnel don't have to declare assets, which is worrying. The NLA, in theory should be open to the NACC scrutiny. Will that include Military figures, many of whom also hold positions in NLA and the new cabinet?

While the budgets are set by the ministers and bureaucrats, once the military budget has been handed over, there is practically no external accountability of where the budget goes, and has not been for a long time.

If the anti-corruption platform is genuine, one might reasonably expect military and military personnel to lead the way from the front, and open their own departments to scrutiny and reform. IMO.

and on and on we go.

The NACC said the NLA members will be requested to declare assets. That's independent of whether they have blue, red, or yellow underwear. Cabinet members which are also NLA member will therefor automatically also need to declare assets.

Whereas I agree it would be nice if the NCPO and even our PM would declare assets I don't think it matters much. It's not like they control or spent the budgets.

The spending is with the Ministries and the Ministries report on how things are spent, or should be. It would seem that reporting can be minimal. Here we have the need for an independent auditing commission with Gen. Prayuth already having mentioned to need to have this commission given more powers. Nice reform that.

The single biggest budget is Ministry of Education 460 billion Baht out of 2.52 trillion National Budget. Already targetted for reforms. May be a struggle to come with acceptable reforms which can be kept for a decade to have any effect.

I guess some still don't realise that reforms for all with the same rights and duties for all may be more than they really wanted to ask for.

Whereas I agree it would be nice if the NCPO and even our PM would declare assets I don't think it matters much. It's not like they control or spent the budgets. The spending is with the Ministries and the Ministries report on how things are spent, or should be. It would seem that reporting can be minimal.

Yet you insist Yingluck is responsible for any corruption there may be in the Rice Scheme. How can that be if the PM doesn't control or spend the budgets, that it's all down to Ministries and Ministers reporting back to the PM ?

Or was that your idea of a joke?

• Like 2

Would be good to see the Junta declare their assets (the NACC have stated they won't force Junta to declare).

Would be good to see accountability and civilian oversight of the 193 000 000 baht Military budget.

Or is the corruption they are fighting 'other people's' corruption?

Come to think of it, it is not corruption on the part of the military - they just take the money. End of. At least with corruption, the perpetrators have to at least pretend they are not taking the money!

Anything goes if it's aimed against the junta, NCPO and so ?

Anyway, PM Prayuth mentioned what would happen with NLA or Cabinet members if they got caught. Swift, legal justice.

swift justice is only effective is there is proper scrutiny - in this case, of Military budget spending.

It is honestly too soon to tell if the Junta will in fact make good on their anti-corruption platform.

Personally I see the country as a cash cow, and all the groups fight to be on the front udder. Can't see much changing. After all it was the serially-corrupt Suthep who got this ball rolling.

AS for the rest, yes too soon to tell, but till now the NCPO has done some good work. As far as I'm concerned that includes sidelining all politicians.

The one wrong thing with doing this along with martial law, there is little or no debate. One can only hear what one side wants you to hear?

'I am good because I am telling you I am good; if you disagree you go away for a minimum of 2 weeks at Army camp in the hills?'

Rubi, it seems that this is a mandatory platform that past PM's have said they would also crackdown on? Hope your faith is right Rubi, but one clean beach not a PM make.

If history is correct the military budget will increase for the next few years, as per past junta's taking control of the country. Hard to call the military budget a distraction as it is a good slice of the country's spending. However, martial law will not allow for this part of the budget to be examined.

Tuff on corruption, still a bit like feeding the ducks? What about the customs boys? Where would you start? The Director General?

• Like 2

and on and on we go.

Whereas I agree it would be nice if the NCPO and even our PM would declare assets I don't think it matters much. It's not like they control or spent the budgets. The spending is with the Ministries and the Ministries report on how things are spent, or should be. It would seem that reporting can be minimal.

Yet you insist Yingluck is responsible for any corruption there may be in the Rice Scheme. How can that be if the PM doesn't control or spend the budgets, that it's all down to Ministries and Ministers reporting back to the PM ?

She is responsible not as PM but as chairperson of the National Rice policy Committee. IMO. Which is the top official, that you would suggest, that should be held responsible for any corruption there may have been in the Rice scheme?

and on and on we go.

Well, for one PM Yingluck stated clearly she was in charge. She was chairwoman of the NRC. She was part of the 'democratic' system.

The junta is not part of a democratic system I'm told. They control activities and punish as needed even if one of them would be guilty. Novel concept, I must admit.

So, let's get this straight. The more people here 'demand' or only slightly 'suggest' that the junta, NCPO, Gen Prayuth and his behave like a government would behave, the more some seem to want the current situation to become more acceptable. "look, apart from the preference for green they are almost like the previous government, almost like real politicians, but they get things done. Why not ask them to stay on a wee bit longer. Doesn't really matter much, now does it?"

Anyway with the previous government "really taking care of corruption" allegedly the wrong way, I find it refreshing to have someone being pragmatic and really work against corruption.

The one wrong thing with doing this along with martial law, there is little or no debate. One can only hear what one side wants you to hear?

'I am good because I am telling you I am good; if you disagree you go away for a minimum of 2 weeks at Army camp in the hills?'

Rubi, it seems that this is a mandatory platform that past PM's have said they would also crackdown on? Hope your faith is right Rubi, but one clean beach not a PM make.

If history is correct the military budget will increase for the next few years, as per past junta's taking control of the country. Hard to call the military budget a distraction as it is a good slice of the country's spending. However, martial law will not allow for this part of the budget to be examined.

Tuff on corruption, still a bit like feeding the ducks? What about the customs boys? Where would you start? The Director General?

The good thing about doing this along with Martial Law is things can get done which under previous situations would require the involvement of a lot more people, laws, regulations, delaying tactics, etc., etc. Dept. PM Pol Captain Chalerm with his 90 day jetski mafia cleanup comes to mind.

If history is correct ALL budgets will increases the coming years although I don't know howe that relates to the topic.

So, tough on corruption. A few things started, people's support asked for "you, the people, can tell us". You, the people are part of fighting corruption. Think about it, start to like it.

Edited by rubl

someone who appears to think nothing of national security. how can anyone be against any military spending. military spending helps to protect a country, in the same way that household security spending (locks, alarms...) protects a household.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_military_expenditures

My concern is not the amount of money (personally I am against all military spending, and against all military, especially the UK and US), but more about the accountability and civilian oversight.

A German, perhaps?

and on and on we go.

Well, for one PM Yingluck stated clearly she was in charge. She was chairwoman of the NRC. She was part of the 'democratic' system.

The junta is not part of a democratic system I'm told. They control activities and punish as needed even if one of them would be guilty. Novel concept, I must admit.

So, let's get this straight. The more people here 'demand' or only slightly 'suggest' that the junta, NCPO, Gen Prayuth and his behave like a government would behave, the more some seem to want the current situation to become more acceptable. "look, apart from the preference for green they are almost like the previous government, almost like real politicians, but they get things done. Why not ask them to stay on a wee bit longer. Doesn't really matter much, now does it?"

Anyway with the previous government "really taking care of corruption" allegedly the wrong way, I find it refreshing to have someone being pragmatic and really work against corruption.

"look, apart from the preference for green they are almost like the previous government, almost like real politicians, but they get things done. Why not ask them to stay on a wee bit longer. Doesn't really matter much, now does it?"

Now I know you're joking. You are, aren't you?

there should be public beheadings on the anti-corruption day.

(I am just joking, but an anti-corruption day, but letting the worst corrupt politicians run around unchallenged is just nonsense)

Againwhistling.gif "I'll take political corruption in Thailand, any kindergarten day of the week, compared to what we have to deal with in the western world"~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~coffee1.gif .

Old folks on this forum, talk about political corruption in Thailand, as if it were a Thai invention. It makes one wonder, if most of these western expats, spent their entire western lives, living in the American Dream, before retiring to Thailand. Get real, for heaven' sakecoffee1.gif

The overwhelming majority of Thai corruption is in the private sector, not politics. The former minister of education is listed as the wealthiest man in the country recently -- how does THAT happen (first guesses don't count). The politicians are, and have always been, facilitators. Those fat budgets getting pipe lined into pockets is not political -- all sides play those diamonds and spades. As the Chinese have said "Everyone wants to both do away with corruption and benefit from it."

Raising awareness about corruption is a non-starter, not pragmatic, and a bit of showmanship. Nonetheless, I like the General -- he can keep a lid on it, but unfortunately never take the pot off the stove.

Edited by FangFerang

Posted 2012-09-07 14:04:14

Anti-Corruption Network asks all sides to fight corruption

BANGKOK, 7 September 2012 (NNT) - To celebrate the 1st anniversary of the Anti-Corruption Network, 42 member organizations of the network have agreed to designate September 6th of every year as the Anti-Corruption Day.

Full Story: http://www.thaivisa....n/#entry5643751

Posted 2012-12-09 12:59:17

RT@RichardBarrow: Today is Anti-Corruption Day. Many students expected to rally in front of the BACC at 3pm (across from MBK in #Bangkok)

Posted 2012-12-09 06:55:06

EDITORIAL
We need to take a stand against corruption
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Thai society will deteriorate unless stronger individual action is taken

It is a shame that while Thailand is organising a campaign against corruption, the latest survey result by Transparency International showed the country's ranking has slipped.

Full Story: http://www.thaivisa....nst-corruption/

Admin

• av-327.jpg,q_r=0.pagespeed.ce.mcAA1C0JNB
  • Admin
  • 118,429 posts

Posted 2012-05-19 06:16:28

Yingluck launches anti-corruption campaign
Piyanart Srivalo,
The Nation

30182356-01_big.jpg
Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, accompanied by ministers and officials from relevant agencies, participates in a strategic meeting on fighting corruption. The forum was held yesterday at the Government Complex.

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra yesterday instructed top officials to rally behind the campaign to root out corruption, especially in relation to bribes being taken in exchange for government positions.

"Thailand would have a much better future if corruption, its biggest threat, is rooted out," she said.

Yingluck was speaking at a conference to unveil her government's anti-corruption strategy. More than 600 participants, including Cabinet members, heads of agencies, provincial governors and leading figures from the private sector, turned out in full force.

Over the past 18 years, Thailand has seen no significant improvement on various indices for transparency, Yingluck told the gathering.

Government officials are obliged to uphold the ideals of transparency and good governance, she said, adding that meritocracy should be encouraged so the tradition of accepting bribes to dispense job assignments can be stopped.

The government's four priorities are to raise anti-corruption awareness, encourage each agency to come up with a work plan on transparency, take a proactive approach to detect graft violation and ensure strict law enforcement on the suppression and punishment of graft offenders, she said.

Public Sector Development Commission secretary-general Thosaporn Sirisumphand said each agency would be given one month to come up with their work plan on transparency. Meanwhile, all public service outlets will have to put up a sign reading "bribes not accepted" in a move to remind officials and members of the public to not condone kickbacks.

xnationlogo.jpg.pagespeed.ic.k-Kc5cy-DD.
-- The Nation 2012-05-19

footer_n.gif.pagespeed.ce.1fzrZTJkPQ.gif

post-52815-0-23033600-1410040033_thumb.j

• Like 1

Posted 2012-09-07 14:04:14

Anti-Corruption Network asks all sides to fight corruption

BANGKOK, 7 September 2012 (NNT) - To celebrate the 1st anniversary of the Anti-Corruption Network, 42 member organizations of the network have agreed to designate September 6th of every year as the Anti-Corruption Day.

Full Story: http://www.thaivisa....n/#entry5643751

Posted 2012-12-09 12:59:17

RT@RichardBarrow: Today is Anti-Corruption Day. Many students expected to rally in front of the BACC at 3pm (across from MBK in #Bangkok)

Posted 2012-12-09 06:55:06

EDITORIAL

We need to take a stand against corruption

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Thai society will deteriorate unless stronger individual action is taken

It is a shame that while Thailand is organising a campaign against corruption, the latest survey result by Transparency International showed the country's ranking has slipped.

Full Story: http://www.thaivisa....nst-corruption/

Admin

• av-327.jpg,q_r=0.pagespeed.ce.mcAA1C0JNB
  • Admin
  • 118,429 posts

Posted 2012-05-19 06:16:28

Yingluck launches anti-corruption campaign

Piyanart Srivalo,

The Nation

30182356-01_big.jpg

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, accompanied by ministers and officials from relevant agencies, participates in a strategic meeting on fighting corruption. The forum was held yesterday at the Government Complex.

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra yesterday instructed top officials to rally behind the campaign to root out corruption, especially in relation to bribes being taken in exchange for government positions.

"Thailand would have a much better future if corruption, its biggest threat, is rooted out," she said.

Yingluck was speaking at a conference to unveil her government's anti-corruption strategy. More than 600 participants, including Cabinet members, heads of agencies, provincial governors and leading figures from the private sector, turned out in full force.

Over the past 18 years, Thailand has seen no significant improvement on various indices for transparency, Yingluck told the gathering.

Government officials are obliged to uphold the ideals of transparency and good governance, she said, adding that meritocracy should be encouraged so the tradition of accepting bribes to dispense job assignments can be stopped.

The government's four priorities are to raise anti-corruption awareness, encourage each agency to come up with a work plan on transparency, take a proactive approach to detect graft violation and ensure strict law enforcement on the suppression and punishment of graft offenders, she said.

Public Sector Development Commission secretary-general Thosaporn Sirisumphand said each agency would be given one month to come up with their work plan on transparency. Meanwhile, all public service outlets will have to put up a sign reading "bribes not accepted" in a move to remind officials and members of the public to not condone kickbacks.

xnationlogo.jpg.pagespeed.ic.k-Kc5cy-DD.

-- The Nation 2012-05-19

footer_n.gif.pagespeed.ce.1fzrZTJkPQ.gif

I would be just as much convinced they were fair dinkum if it were a mob of hooded KKK scum standing in front of an anti-racism banner.

We are all aware of the endemic level of corruption and that it goes all the way to the top. Truth is, corruption will never be eliminated but if it can be surpressed and controlled, it would be at least a big step in the right direction.

Of course, as previously stated in the forum, the denial by Thais of their shortcoming is the major stumbling block as I see it.

Well put Fatty, and the Shins are the scorpions.

heh. You remind me a lot of the constant posting of other urban legends such as "the American GIs started prostitution in Thailand".

So according to you, the Thais for centuries were so stupid and backwards and unimaginative and disconnected that there was no corruption. And then the Shinawatra family came along and corrupted them and put graft on the national agenda - just like GIs on R&R from Vietnam started Patpong Road.

Sure.

And I'm just as certain about that as I am that a day of slogans and chanting will wipe out corruption once again and return Thailand to the old days of clean government and a patriotic, dedicated army working only for the people and generals with just one car per family.

Sure. And after that, we can tackle the problem of all those disgusting women in short skirts causing rape.

Thanks for the laughs.

We are all aware of the endemic level of corruption and that it goes all the way to the top. Truth is, corruption will never be eliminated but if it can be surpressed and controlled, it would be at least a big step in the right direction.

Of course, as previously stated in the forum, the denial by Thais of their shortcoming is the major stumbling block as I see it.

I think you're missing the plot or glossing over it. I'm not sure which but based on your second para, I have to think the former.
The current, er, "political activities" in Thailand are exactly, specifically and ONLY about controlling corruption. If you actually think there's denial about this, you really aren't paying attention.

Edited by wandasloan

Sorry I am late with this reply Prime Minister, hate to say it , but if Thailand had better checks and balances fifty years ago you wouldn't be celebrating Anti- Corruption day, so it is up to you sir to put matters right so that next year Thailand isn't celebrating something to be ashamed of. coffee1.gif