Thai 'culture'. Let me have another go at 'listening to children'

hotsoup

Today there is a huge free concert in town: Pleng Luk Thung (***Thai language removed***; lit. "song of a child of the fields"
Thousands of people. Traffic jams, Food..what you expect?!

Amongst many things I like about Thai culture are the culturally specific individuality of the music, I like Long Plaeng Chewit and Morlam, the confidence of the people, the assertiveness of 'national culture'.

However as in other places the sheer weight of requirements for conformity are manifest. Me: 'Do you want to go the concert?' Children: 'No!' Me 'Why not?' Children: 'Daddy, do you think that mindless beat and a million decibels is music?
It all sounds like Black Sabbath on an off day!' Oh dear!
So back to listening! If they feel oppressed because they are not 100% Thai...is there any point in them being here? I know class and colour play at least a part in Europe depending on where you live; but they never encountered the superciliousness that seems endemic in being Thai!
Thanks everyone for the posts in the other thread!

Edited by metisdead
Thai language edited out of post. This is an English language forum, English is the only acceptable language, except in the Thai language forum where Thai language is allowed.

the kids would probably rather listen to the beat on an iPad.

Wouldn't a thai kid think a Black Sabbath was something on 4 legs? (their universe of reality is pretty small)

Edited by tifino