Scottish independence: Yes camp hails 'momentum'

Lite Beer

You not read that? Westminster is the problem -- they never tell everything beforehand. Even the latest pensions changes are unfathomable sad.png

Scotland has said they want to use the pound -- Westminster is stalling,,,,,,,

I don't understand how Westminster is stalling on this? They've said No to Scotland using the pound. You might believe that to be a bluff, who knows, but they've all come out and said it. That's not stalling that's an answer.

I agree with MJP and this issue should be sorted out long before any vote, so you Scots know the exact situation. If Westminster says No as it has done so far, it's up to the Yes vote to come up with what they will use.

Westminster does not say no....the current Tory government says no.

Big difference.

As do both the other parties who would ever have a possibility of power.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You not read that? Westminster is the problem -- they never tell everything beforehand. Even the latest pensions changes are unfathomable sad.png

Scotland has said they want to use the pound -- Westminster is stalling,,,,,,,

I don't understand how Westminster is stalling on this? They've said No to Scotland using the pound. You might believe that to be a bluff, who knows, but they've all come out and said it. That's not stalling that's an answer.

I agree with MJP and this issue should be sorted out long before any vote, so you Scots know the exact situation. If Westminster says No as it has done so far, it's up to the Yes vote to come up with what they will use.

Westminster does not say no....the current Tory government says no.

Big difference.

As do both the other parties who would ever have a possibility of power.

Its all political manoeuvring......the city will speak if the government dares to carry out this folly....and the UK government will bow to their pressure as always.

• Like 1

I see Lord transam has still not offered us his vision for a better Britain....together in union.

What's wrong mate?

Surely you're not shy? :-P

Now how did you know my ancestor was a Lord..........whistling.gif

I am not a politician, or business man. All I know is the union has done well, we ALL have security that we fought for. To me the breaking up of the union because of a few gung-ho folk is a travesty. That is my view.

BUT, since this stuff started I have read a lot, and NOT all one way stuff. My problem is the SNP has got absolutely NOTHING on the table, NOTHING.

YOU cannot deny that, and hence my continued interest in the subject. Folk are being sold stuff by salesmen, end of story, nothing on paper, nothing anywhere but bluster and silly smiles and folk are falling for it. Why are the SNP not honest and say "Hey guys, we've sorted nothing out "....WHY........

There is a whole pot of oil on the table transam.... And a whole world of difference in how we want our governments to behave.

Education is a key issue....in Scotland we take free education as a very serious issue....even those of us who are past the age where we will benefit.

Seems in "your" view the oil thing is "you" saying "Goodbye England and Wales, stuff you lot, we are off, thanks for taking care of us but now we don't give a toss cos got oil".

Yes or No....?

PS. In the bigger picture you will lose out if a YES, oil means sod all in relation to what you lot are given in hand outs....

The Oil revenue is small change compared to the banking bail outs, Barnett formulae, free tuition fees, cost of living, old age care etc etc.

• Like 1

Taking care of us???

Lmao.....remember the Poll Tax?

Your Iron Lady demanded £386 from me for that abomination at a time I was earning £250 a month.....my appeal for some relief on that was denied.

Yes we long remember what England has given us transam.

I understand your pain even though the poll tax and pit closures where over 20 years ago.

Don't let the need for revenge and stickin it to the English cloud your judgement .

Think about your pocket!

For sure the Scots are going to lose money.

• Like 2

Again following the Tory line of fear.

The reality within this vote is quite different....there is no hate....only a desire for better government.

Yup clearly rolleyes.gif

If you're all so confident in being an independent nation why do you need to hang on to someone else's currency and central bank?

I want Scotland to be independent. I just don't think the Yes camp actually want true independence.

They just want to Cherry pick similar to a child in a sweet shop still attached to the mothers apron strings.

• Like 1

Taking care of us???

Lmao.....remember the Poll Tax?

Your Iron Lady demanded £386 from me for that abomination at a time I was earning £250 a month.....my appeal for some relief on that was denied.

Yes we long remember what England has given us transam.

I understand your pain even though the poll tax and pit closures where over 20 years ago.

Don't let the need for revenge and stickin it to the English cloud your judgement .

Think about your pocket!

For sure the Scots are going to lose money.

The terrible things done to the Scots were also done to the English before them.

http://www.thelandmagazine.org.uk/articles/short-history-enclosure-britain

Simon Fairlie describes how the progressive enclosure of commons over several centuries has deprived most of the British people of access to agricultural land. The historical process bears little relationship to the “Tragedy of the Commons”, the theory which ideologues in the neoliberal era adopted as part of a smear campaign against common property institutions.

Will the price of food go up in England?

What a ridiculous article.

Currently, many major supermarket prices are no different in Scotland than they are in shops in England, Wales or Northern Ireland.

This is despite the fact that they face higher distribution costs in Scotland, as well as a public health levy on selling alcohol and tobacco (which is due to end in 2015).

Read it properly.

Prices will rocket in Scotland because of higher distribution costs, same with the mail etc

A 3ltr bottle of white extra strength cider will be a luxury and a distant memory to most.

Currently, many major supermarket prices are no different in Scotland than they are in shops in England, Wales or Northern Ireland.

This is despite the fact that they face higher distribution costs in Scotland, as well as a public health levy on selling alcohol and tobacco (which is due to end in 2015).

Read it properly.

Prices will rocket in Scotland because of higher distribution costs, same with the mail etc

A 3ltr bottle of white extra strength cider will be a luxury and a distant memory to most.

That is so much hot air. Politicans pressurising retailers to support NO --- http://www.bbc.com/news/business-29171722

Scotland and N Ireland already have different prices in some areas, typically the Highlands and Islands. Try getting something delivered from the home counties to Barra wink.png Prices will not rocket - they've been up there for years already wink.png

Edited by jpinx

Read it properly.

In fact prices are generally higher in Central London than Scotland for food.....so I seriously doubt this assumption....besides Scotland may well cut the tax on real ale as Alex Salmond looks like he enjoys the odd slurp.

I've every confidence on this issue. whistling.gifw00t.gif

Plus if they vote Yes there is very liitel to stop rUK shafting an Infependent Scotland on the way out as this well thought out academic piece lays out in great detail.

http://devolutionmatters.wordpress.com/2014/09/09/negotiations-after-a-scottish-referendum-yes-vote/

Thailand can only marvel at how sophistacted and nuanced an advanced democratic society is that allows such a vote . If this was Thailand Salmond and his cohorts would be arrested and in chokee for an indeterminate for lese majeste against Queen Elizabeth - or if not they would now like their red compatriots either be in exile , or in step with central command.

It's nuts. Every last detail for transition to independence should have been negotiated and legally agreed prior to the vote. But no. Salmond's ego had to come first.

I'm worried for the Scots.

Plus if they vote Yes there is very liitel to stop rUK shafting an Infependent Scotland on the way out as this well thought out academic piece lays out in great detail.

http://devolutionmatters.wordpress.com/2014/09/09/negotiations-after-a-scottish-referendum-yes-vote/

Thailand can only marvel at how sophistacted and nuanced an advanced democratic society is that allows such a vote . If this was Thailand Salmond and his cohorts would be arrested and in chokee for an indeterminate for lese majeste against Queen Elizabeth - or if not they would now like their red compatriots either be in exile , or in step with central command.

It's nuts. Every last detail for transition to independence should have been negotiated and legally agreed prior to the vote. But no. Salmond's ego had to come first.

What a load of crap....it was Cameron who insisted on a straight yes/no vote.....at least TRY to get your facts right!

What a load of crap....it was Cameron who insisted on a straight yes/no vote.....at least TRY to get your facts right!

And the Salmond agreed to that?

Please don't be rude by the way. I've shown you nothing but respect here.

And the Salmond agreed to that?

Please don't be rude by the way. I've shown you nothing but respect here.

Apologies for any offence.

It is in the SNP's manifesto to work towards gaining independence....so yes Salmond being offered a straight yes/no question had no real option other than to take it....although his wish was for the Devo Max option to be included.

Cameron thought he could hammer the Scots and push on to a second term quite clearly.....its not worked out that way for him though!

No worries Smoke's, I just can't believe the Scot's haven't got their ducks in a line and legally agreed before this vote. I don't think they should have gone for this until all the negotiations were complete and the exact form of government and banking/currency confirmed. Surely they could have put Cameron in the position where this logical path had to be taken.

It's the uncertainty that'll do the damage in the meantime. Uncertainty will drive business away. Uncertainty will create more division, within Scotland, between Scots. Because in all honesty they don't know what they're voting for. Devil really be in the detail on this one.

EDIT: Cameron needs a kick in the nuts over this too. All it's doing is creating uncertainty and potential chaos.

Edited by MJP
  • Like 1

@ jpinx no 902

You not read that? Westminster is the problem -- they never tell everything beforehand. Even the latest pensions changes are unfathomable"

The easy answer is : should Scotland pull off the YES vote? (unclear as yet) then England could pay up NI Pensions earned in Scotland to date,and advise Scotland to start their own Scottish Pension scheme!

This extreme Nationalism can work two ways you know!

"Scotland has said they want to use the pound -- Westminster is stalling,,,,,,, "

Or maybe they don't intend to be blackmailed,and have decided not to give in to Salmonds dubious demands! which even Salmond can't give any reassurance that Scotland will use the pound! because everyone has said NO!

@ jpinx no 902

You not read that? Westminster is the problem -- they never tell everything beforehand. Even the latest pensions changes are unfathomable"

The easy answer is : should Scotland pull off the YES vote? (unclear as yet) then England could pay up NI Pensions earned in Scotland to date,and advise Scotland to start their own Scottish Pension scheme!

This extreme Nationalism can work two ways you know!

"Scotland has said they want to use the pound -- Westminster is stalling,,,,,,, "

Or maybe they don't intend to be blackmailed,and have decided not to give in to Salmonds dubious demands! which even Salmond can't give any reassurance that Scotland will use the pound! because everyone has said NO!

If it's a Yes win, what's to stop Westminster announcing the next morning that Scotland in now on its own and all government payments to Scotland immediately cease.

Wouldn't put it past them.

North Korea 'backs Scottish independence'w00t.gif

Exclusive: Kim Jong-un's regime would support an independent Scotland under Alex Salmond and is hoping to trade its natural resources for Scotch whisky, officials tell Telegraphgiggle.gif

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/northkorea/11089388/North-Korea-backs-Scottish-independence.html

3vV4oAr.jpg

This photo was doing the rounds on the net. whistling.gif