Details of failed US Delta Force raid to save James Foley and Steven Sotloff, revealed

webfact

Details of failed US Delta Force raid to save James Foley and Steven Sotloff, revealed

ELITE Delta Force troops glided through the moonless night, touching down in the dust near a remote Syrian oil depot. It was the perfect plan to save US journalists James Foley and Steven Sotloff. So what went wrong?

The special forces team moved swiftly through the July 3 morning’s gloom, keeping their profiles low amid the undulating terrain to avoid being seen by the Islamic State guards at the oil facility near the city of Raqqa.

Small-arms fire rang out in the darkness. The Delta Force troops had been spotted.

A short, sharp firefight ensued. Then all the militants were dead.

Only one commando was wounded.

The more than 40 highly trained US troops did their jobs perfectly. Guards were neutralised. Key buildings secured. The whole facility searched.

It was supposed to take only 20 minutes. The commandos took extra time, staying a whole hour to scour every structure in the complex

But captives James Foley and Steven Sotloff were not there. [read more...]

Full story: http://www.news.com.au/world/middle-east/details-of-failed-us-delta-force-raid-to-save-james-foley-and-steven-sotloff-revealed/story-fnh81ifq-1227051294359

news.com.au.jpg
-- News.com.au 2014-09-08

I think publicly disclosing is an act of a president with low popularity rankings and whose party will be facing congressional elections in November. I don't think the military wanted this to be publicized, not only because it wasn't successful, but because if they need to do it again, IS is going to know how Delta Force will operate.

Sure, ISIS has been tipped off to the fact that special forces may come at them by any means or vehicle imaginable, this should aid them in their operations... god willing. rolleyes.gif

Why reveal the details of a top secret mission that failed - other than for politics? blink.png

Maybe to get more money for intelligence and to be allowed to aquire more and more information. They blame the failure on lack off Intelligence.

After the revelations of Edward Snowden nothing surprises me anymore.

Sure, ISIS has been tipped off to the fact that special forces may come at them by any means or vehicle imaginable, this should aid them in their operations... god willing. rolleyes.gif

Can you run that by me again, because I have read your post twice, are you saying what I think you sre saying, ISIS tipped off, by knowing they are going to be attacked, aids their operations. WHO'S operations?

Can you run that by me again, because I have read your post twice, are you saying what I think you sre saying, ISIS tipped off, by knowing they are going to be attacked, aids their operations. WHO'S operations?

Was being sarcastic, in my reply to the notion that U.S. forces tactics may have been revealed in the news release. (to the benefit of I.S.)

Maybe this was an intentional military play? IS can take this and assume another tactic. When the US launch their next offensive (about now) IS will be looking the wrong way....or will they....or will the US? I'm confused, so will IS be. They will have to cover all opportunities and spread themselves out....or will they?

Maybe this was an intentional military play? IS can take this and assume another tactic. When the US launch their next offensive (about now) IS will be looking the wrong way....or will they....or will the US? I'm confused, so will IS be. They will have to cover all opportunities and spread themselves out....or will they?

very possibly, maybe or......not.

• Like 1

The operation failed.

People died. Regrettable.

Prisoners were moved 72 hrs prior to rescue attempt.

Not adequate intel?

Leak of operation intel?

Inadequate planning?

Predictable planning?

Not bashing anybody here, but all of the above questions are legitimate.

• Like 1

Delta Force gliding through a moonless night, the terrain undulates below the Syrian stars...

Suddenly the sharp, dry report of small-arms fire rings across the desert - the commandos had been spotted.

Delta Force returns fire, and in moments all the militants lie dead...

to be continued...

poetic reporting by news.com.au

• Like 2

Why reveal the details of a top secret mission that failed - other than for politics? blink.png

? , just faulty intelegence.... no reason not to tell the story... unless you just hate everything about the Prez? I appreciate their effort even if not a success.

The enemy could have guessed, they could have wondered, they could have feared. But now they know it is the US and now we have openly informed our allies in the region that our reluctance to get involved is flexible, for US! The US has alienated multiple allies in the region and none respect the US. The US has consistently given false messages and left allies alone in the lurch. Now all know that the US actually will do, or wont do, or it depends. Obama and company is "JV!"

EDIT: Delta Force is among the most effective tools on earth and really only one of two tools that can be employed to bypass congressional notification because they fall directly under the National Command Authority, the Pres, V Pres, and SecDef. All the rage has been... SEAL Tm 6, and for good reason. If you cant or dont want to use ST6 you must use Delta. I cant say for sure but would not be surprised if its because SEAL Team 6 DOES NOT TRUST THIS PRESIDENT WITH THEIR LIVES!

Edited by arjunadawn

Maybe to get more money for intelligence and to be allowed to aquire more and more information. They blame the failure on lack off Intelligence.

After the revelations of Edward Snowden nothing surprises me anymore.

After exhaustive intel briefings, imagery, etc., and Briefbacks, they rehearse in mockups actions on the objective until they are sick and tired, then do more. But one thing always remains true and I dont recall who said it, "No plan survives contact with the enemy." It all goes to shit when the first round lets loose. This story reminds me of the Vietnam Era SonTay Raid. This raid was in essence considered successful. Everything was done right and executed flawlessly. One problem: They moved the POWs before the team got there.

This mission is not a reprisal of Desert One, though the connection is unavoidable.

• Like 1

I am sure that no information has been disclosed that the military didn't want disclosed.

I wish you were correct. In warfare, especially when using special ops, any information is too much information. This administration has a terrible reputation of discussing specific military details without the knowledge or even protest of the military. This is increasingly an issue for the military, and the drama or a current lawsuit against the Administration for the very thing noted in your post.

I wasn't sure if it was a piece of journalism, or if they'd sourced it out to ANdy Mcnabb to write

Dude, I loved this and I am not even British. I worked with some great guys from Hereford and to a man, they had issues with that first Iraqi book, among other charges. Funny! Gonna forward this. Thanks.

• Like 1

? , just faulty intelegence.... no reason not to tell the story... unless you just hate everything about the Prez? I appreciate their effort even if not a success.

The enemy could have guessed, they could have wondered, they could have feared. But now they know it is the US and now we have openly informed our allies in the region that our reluctance to get involved is flexible, for US! The US has alienated multiple allies in the region and none respect the US. The US has consistently given false messages and left allies alone in the lurch. Now all know that the US actually will do, or wont do, or it depends. Obama and company is "JV!"

EDIT: Delta Force is among the most effective tools on earth and really only one of two tools that can be employed to bypass congressional notification because they fall directly under the National Command Authority, the Pres, V Pres, and SecDef. All the rage has been... SEAL Tm 6, and for good reason. If you cant or dont want to use ST6 you must use Delta. I cant say for sure but would not be surprised if its because SEAL Team 6 DOES NOT TRUST THIS PRESIDENT WITH THEIR LIVES!

What a twonk, special forces are not politicians, they are happy to do what ever job they are told to do..............Gawd...............rolleyes.gif

It is just miss information to getting the thugs to second guess themselves and make mistakes. Resulting in future successful missions.

So many posts here which dig and dig to try to find ulterior motives. I don't know if this has any bearing, but my dad was a career CIA man. Why is it odd to simply take the story for what it's worth at face value?

2 American reporters were being held captive. US, with Obama in the driver's seat, did all it can to save them. They made a valiant try. It didn't go as planned. Thankfully, no Americans were killed.

Sometimes people, even politicians, just tell the truth. I acknowledge that's a strange concept to many (particularly Asians, Russians and Middle Easterners), but it does happen.

well for my two cents worth!...

currently the president appears to be very indecisive... Elections are coming and ratings are down.. Hence the release of the secret mission story to free the hostages.

On the down side though.. if I was holding those hostages and someone tried to get them back I would seriously look at using up them rather than losing them.

Over here we are all looking at the turmoil in the world (Ukraine, Iraq/Syria,) and saying.. this would not have happened on Ronald Reagans watch!

and as for releasing the information on the Osama raid.. the damage that did to intelligence was uncountable, with all the data the Seals captured from his compound ( they ran out of bags to carry it all).. and to announce to the world "we got him" before those bags were even opened lead to cells phones going into the trash before the newscast was even over and all the links to other terrorist cells that might have been located went dead.. all for the sake of a popularity pole for the government.. Sigh

• Like 1

The tip off to ISIS is always through the same tried and relied on method of detecting enemy movements, the lone goat herd boy out tending his her of goats in nowhere land, and he stumbles across a very different looking group of soldiers, ( top secret, any news report shows what a US soldier looks like )

So the kid makes an ID and lonely goat herd boys have cell phones, and he texts a message to his Uncle.

Alerted.

Their is no proof that ISIS where tipped off.