Villagers oppose plan to build Krabi power plant

webfact

Villagers oppose plan to build Krabi power plant
By Digital Content

14101440355494.jpg

KRABI, Sept 8 -- Villagers in Thailand's Andaman Sea resort province of Krabi early Sunday gathered to oppose the planned construction of a new coal-fired power plant which could generate 800 megawatts of electricity.

The protesting villagers and environmental activists led by Vichai Nakjorn, a member of Pakasai local government organisation, waved green flags in a show of opposition to building the coal-fired power plant in a Nuea Khlong district village.

Demonstrators gathered after learning that the Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand (EGAT) planned to hold a third public hearing on September 28 to gauge local residents’ opinions on the planned construction.

Charging that EGAT had not given enough details on the planned construction in previous hearings, the protesters said they did not believe EGAT was sincere.

Befire dispersing, the protesters also placed posters on several houses saying they didn't want the plant because it could affect environment.

Mr Vichai also read a statement urging the National Council for Peace and Order to speed up the release of its policy on energy reform which it said would be fair to the people and simultaneously protect the country’s interests. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-09-08

It is about time EGAT changes its policy. Instead of another coal firing plant, they could install solar thermal power plants, which are more efficient than photovoltaic systems and may meet, with inexpensive storage devices, the electricity demand in the evenings. Biogas plants could be installed at chicken farms, and so on.

Germany today produces 28% of its electrical power from biogas, photovoltaic, and wind, Thailand is doing NOTHING, to use the abundance of solar power available. Therefore the installation of solar thermal power plants in Thailand, could become a very effective and clean solution. The more early EGAT changes its policy, the better is the chance, that Thailand soon can export this technology into neighbouring countries, especially considering the relatively low production costs in Thailand.

Hey thats not right fxe1200!

There are many solar farms in Thailand.

I see one a few kilometres outside our town in Isarn and another a few more kilometres away.

This bit you wrote "Thailand is doing NOTHING" is simply not true. Sure not like Germany which is a fully industrialised state against Thailand being third world. Only 28% thats pretty weak really where does the rest come from?

Thailand considered Nuclear energy power stations and decided against it. Coal fired plants may pollute but at least they don't Radiate.

Hey thats not right fxe1200!

There are many solar farms in Thailand.

I see one a few kilometres outside our town in Isarn and another a few more kilometres away.

This bit you wrote "Thailand is doing NOTHING" is simply not true. Sure not like Germany which is a fully industrialised state against Thailand being third world. Only 28% thats pretty weak really where does the rest come from?

Thailand considered Nuclear energy power stations and decided against it. Coal fired plants may pollute but at least they don't Radiate.

How much power do these "solar farms" contribute to the society? This country does not have a law, regulating the feeding of privately produced electricity into the public network. And I am not talking about "Germany against Thailand". I am supporting the idea of constructing solar thermal plants, which will not be efficient in Germany, but here. Thus I support a change of the policy.

I am aware that Germany made a big mistake, when they started to build nuclear plants, and even exported them. Today Germany has to deal with the teardown of those old contaminated nuclear reactors, and until today, Germany has not a single storage facility for all the nuclear waste.

Due to greed of the strong lobby of the German power companies, Germany has overslept the right time, to step into the development of technologies, to produce alternative energies around fifty years ago. External costs (waste management, storage) for nuclear energy are being estimated at around 0,20Euro/K!

The burning of fossil fuels, or coal has other disadvantages, as we all know. Therefore I urge(d) Egat to do the right steps into the future, and reconsider the decision to build a coal fired plant in Krabi, a step, which you might consider as a "step out of the third world".