Michelins Thai made? Any good performance Thai tires?

steelepulse

I did a search of the motoring forum and came across a post that the Michelins here were Thai made. Is this true? I was looking at pilot sports but at 23K/piece, seems quite steep for a country that grows rubber and has low labour costs. The same pilot sports can be had in the US for 11K, so seems there's quite the mark up here.

Are there any good locally made Thai tires that have had good performance and reviews? I know many manufacturers have multiple product lines of basically the same product, so I was hoping someone could point me in the direction of a high performance tire that is a bit more reasonable than 23K.

Wonder what size tires you are talking about as I just had 17" low profile Pilot Sport 3 put on my Civic 2.0 for a little over 5k/piece and they are well rated and the feel and handling seems quite good to me. Prior to that I had the Pilot Preceda tires which came factory fitted for the Civic.

Wonder what size tires you are talking about as I just had 17" low profile Pilot Sport 3 put on my Civic 2.0 for a little over 5k/piece and they are well rated and the feel and handling seems quite good to me. Prior to that I had the Pilot Preceda tires which came factory fitted for the Civic.

I got Michelin PS3 fr my civic, 215-45-17 for about 4400 each. Were yours 225? They are 1000 baht each more.

I got Michelin PS3 fr my civic, 215-45-17 for about 4400 each. Were yours 225? They are 1000 baht each more.

I'm pretty sure mine are the same size as you show. Looks like you got a pretty good deal as even the Michelin website shows list price of ฿5590. Mine was 5000 and some change as I had opted for the brake cleaning.

Right now I´ve got Toyo Proxes T1R in 235/35/19 and 265/30/19. That set is now 24 month old and the tyres have been manufactured 6 month before my purchase. Now they seem to get louder and louder, so loud that I´m thinking of a new set. But actually the tyres still look very good, what a waste of 46K Baht. So I read through some tyre tests in Germany and they tested the Nexen N8000 with pretty good results (B+) in both wet and dry conditions, handling and braking. Not much worse than any other top brand. The only downside was quicker wear and a little worse fuel consumption. But why should I care about that when I have to change my tyres every 24month anyway? And I already need 13,5l/100km, so fuel consumption really doesn´t matter in this case.

Long story short, I´ll try a set of Nexen in the next month, they only cost me half of the money. I rather change the tyres more often than to waste my money on some ultra high performance tyres that I really don´t need here. And if the Nexen suck (what I don´t expect) there´s not much damage done.

Edited by I knew this would happen

Michellin = longer lasting due to harder compounds so more km's but less grippy.

If you want performance get some decent softer compound treads - Goodyear, Dunlop, Conti, Yoko...

Leave the French cr*p for French roads...tongue.png

Michellin = longer lasting due to harder compounds so more km's but less grippy.

If you want performance get some decent softer compound treads - Goodyear, Dunlop, Conti, Yoko...

Total Crap, the Compounds are chaged here.They do not last longer than a Thai made Goodyear Equiv.

Total Crap, the Compounds are chaged here.They do not last longer than a Thai made Goodyear Equiv.

Yep, they're "total crap"... and if they don't last any longer then even more reason not to fit them them... tongue.png

I'm pretty sure mine are the same size as you show. Looks like you got a pretty good deal as even the Michelin website shows list price of ฿5590. Mine was 5000 and some change as I had opted for the brake cleaning.

ok, I got mine from Tyre Plus, who seem to be he cheapest around. They are very grippy but seem a little louder than other tyres I've had. Actually I wanted 225 because the rolling diameter is closer to stock. However the tyre dealer said they may rub (they were much bigger), so went for the 215 like I normally get.

I have a 2006 Toyota SUV. For the 2nd and 3rd set of Michelin Tires, (which both sets of tires are made in Poland), Tyre Plus was certainly not the lowest price store. A dealer who primarily sells Maxxis and Toyo tires had the lowest price on Michelin Latitude Tires twice in Buriram.

Part of a current article in Consumer Reports magazine regarding Chinese Tire Brands sold in the USA. Maxis is a brand from Taiwan, not the PRC.

Tires are a global commodity, and many of the major brand names that Consumer Reports tests are manufactured in China. But those tires are designed and manufactured to quality standards dictated by the original manufacturers. Chinese tire brands don’t have that oversight, and some may not have the marketing foresight to design products well-suited to the specific requirements of the U.S. consumer. While we can’t address specific tire build quality, our all-weather tests show that these tires simply don’t measure-up to most of the well-known brands. The tested tires from Geostar, Sunny, and Pegasus finished at the bottom of our ratings.

Chinese-Tires-Geostar-Pegasus-Sunny.jpg

The Geostar GS716 was the most well-rounded of the three, offering excellent dry braking, very good handling, and average tread life. But wet stopping performance was just average, and snow traction and stopping on ice was only fair. At $114 in our 265/70 R17 test size, the Geostar tire might appeal to a cost-conscious buyer. Better known brand-name tires average about $150. The cost savings is attractive, but we’d caution you to not gloss over the performance shortfalls, as the Geostar mustered only an 18th place finish out of 20 models tested. The cheaper Sunny SN3606 ($89) and Pegasus Advanta SUV ($95) came in a dismal 19th and 20th, respectively. These tires stop reasonably well on pavement and offer impressive hydroplaning resistance, but they have poor snow traction and just fair ability to stop on icy roads. Both models have a stiff and noisy ride, plus they wear quickly, too.

Aside from the performance lows, if value is a high priority, consider that the Pegasus cost about half as much as a top-scoring tire, the Michelin LTX M/S2. But keep in mind that the Michelin will last almost three times longer. Factor in the cost of buying two additional sets of tires, plus mounting and balancing, and you could save hundreds of dollars, not to mention get a better all-weather performing tire, if you choose the Michelin.

• Like 1

I went with the Nexen N8000's ( thanks for the tip I knew this would happen ) after reading various reviews and looking at my choices here in LOS. As soon as I get my car back I'll give them a good workout. They were just 7700 each as opposed to the pilot super sports at 20K+.

Part of a current article in Consumer Reports magazine regarding Chinese Tire Brands sold in the USA. Maxis is a brand from Taiwan, not the PRC.

Tires are a global commodity, and many of the major brand names that Consumer Reports tests are manufactured in China. But those tires are designed and manufactured to quality standards dictated by the original manufacturers. Chinese tire brands don’t have that oversight, and some may not have the marketing foresight to design products well-suited to the specific requirements of the U.S. consumer. While we can’t address specific tire build quality, our all-weather tests show that these tires simply don’t measure-up to most of the well-known brands. The tested tires from Geostar, Sunny, and Pegasus finished at the bottom of our ratings.

The Geostar GS716 was the most well-rounded of the three, offering excellent dry braking, very good handling, and average tread life. But wet stopping performance was just average, and snow traction and stopping on ice was only fair. At $114 in our 265/70 R17 test size, the Geostar tire might appeal to a cost-conscious buyer. Better known brand-name tires average about $150. The cost savings is attractive, but we’d caution you to not gloss over the performance shortfalls, as the Geostar mustered only an 18th place finish out of 20 models tested. The cheaper Sunny SN3606 ($89) and Pegasus Advanta SUV ($95) came in a dismal 19th and 20th, respectively. These tires stop reasonably well on pavement and offer impressive hydroplaning resistance, but they have poor snow traction and just fair ability to stop on icy roads. Both models have a stiff and noisy ride, plus they wear quickly, too.

Aside from the performance lows, if value is a high priority, consider that the Pegasus cost about half as much as a top-scoring tire, the Michelin LTX M/S2. But keep in mind that the Michelin will last almost three times longer. Factor in the cost of buying two additional sets of tires, plus mounting and balancing, and you could save hundreds of dollars, not to mention get a better all-weather performing tire, if you choose the Michelin.

It is true that there are some trash tyres out there which even couldn´t hold a Tuk Tuk on track. But many Korean, Taiwanese and even Japanese (long ago) started as underdogs and were rated as crap. But now these tyres are brand names and can keep up with their western counterparts. I had some Hankook on my BMW´s and they did very well. Years ago my rubber dealer just had a blank stare at me when I ordered a set of these biggrin.png Now look how far Hankook has come, Hankook Ventus Evo 2 is usually in the top 5. Hankook is from Korea, so is Nexen. I think Koreans know what they are doing. Their newest N´Fera looks very promising, I think this company is developing forwards very well.

I NEVER try any tyre at random luck, as I already posted, I only buy stuff that has been tested in Germany by reputable institutions. And when even they agree that some cheaper tyre is good, I will give it a try. ADAC (german motorist association) and Autobild Sportscar magazine both tested this tyre with good results, and they are usually a little biased towards brands, specially our own ones come out at the top. Oh and they too run horror stories of dangerous chinese cheap tyres that can kill you, but Nexen are not there anymore.

• Like 2

Pilot Super Sport ,and Sport 3 are for Hi performance vehicles. Your7700 Bht isnt in the same class, bout the same price as a quality Mich truck Tyre here..What Cars it for.?.

You might want to read the reviews AOP. This is a high performance tire with a Y speed rating. Certainly someone had to test and certify the tire, not just some made up sales jargon as would be the norm here in the land of made up specs/tales.

Only downside I see to this tire is it wears out quickly, but I don't drive that much, but when I do, I do.

Pilot Super Sport ,and Sport 3 are for Hi performance vehicles. Your7700 Bht isnt in the same class, bout the same price as a quality Mich truck Tyre here..What Cars it for.?.

You might want to read the reviews AOP. This is a high performance tire with a Y speed rating. Certainly someone had to test and certify the tire, not just some made up sales jargon as would be the norm here in the land of made up specs/tales.

Only downside I see to this tire is it wears out quickly, but I don't drive that much, but when I do, I do.

But this downpoint doesn´t matter that much as it seems not so good to keep tyres in LOS as long as we would do in EU/US. I always used Michelin Alpin as my winter tyres as everything else just wore so fast and I loved them for their durability.

New tyres every 2-3 years is better than having the "best" tyre for 5-7 years in LOS? Michelins aren´t the best in wet conditions anyway and when they get older this doesn´t improve smile.png

^ Obviously a transplant from the north somewhere into a hot climate but in many countries you can't make such general statements because, like the states for example, we don't have a need for snow tires in Florida and it gets even hotter here in the summer then does much of Thailand.