Nasty Trojan

The Philosopher

I have picked up a nasty virus TrojandownloaderWin32Zlob.ci my Macafee visus scan and antispy seem to have no affect. It casues pop ups and messages saying I need to install anti spy any ideas on how to clear would be appreciated. :o

Ta

My brother-in-law had a similar problem with a recent trojan that prevented Macafee from working. The only answer was to reformat the HD and reinstal windows. Download the free AVG antivirus. Brilliant.

I have picked up a nasty virus TrojandownloaderWin32Zlob.ci my Macafee visus scan and antispy seem to have no affect. It casues pop ups and messages saying I need to install anti spy any ideas on how to clear would be appreciated. :o

Ta

My brother-in-law had a similar problem with a recent trojan that prevented Macafee from working. The only answer was to reformat the HD and reinstal windows. Download the free AVG antivirus. Brilliant.

Download this file... http://siri.geekstogo.com/SmitfraudFix.zip ensure you are in safe mode when u run it ...its the best answer out there.

Ta

I had something similar recently, and what I did was to configure my Norton Antivirus app to startup during WinXP initialization (before other apps), and thus flush out the virus. It worked, but I still have the periodic notice that Norton has "vaccinated" my system due to the same virus. Is this a solution for you... perhaps. But I would not count on it.

As for another post implying that you should visit this site: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum103.html, I do not believe there is much there unless you are willing to do some research.

My plan is to wipe out my WinXP OS and replace it with a fresh copy of such, and while dicking with that, decide if I want to just stick to my daily web-browsing activities on my other PC that runs Linux.

If you are dedicated to Windoze, then so be it. I wish you best of luck. You may rid yourself of the virus (trojan) today, but more will be awaiting you tomorrow. Sometimes I wonder if it is not the s/w gurus at McAfee or Symantec that are responsible for releasing viruses in the first place.

As for another post implying that you should visit this site: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum103.html, I do not believe there is much there unless you are willing to do some research.

Sorry... maybe you didn't see this post... ? :o

Try the guys here..

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum103.html

Follow the instructions in the pinned topics.. and then do exactly as they say..

They helped me out a while back and were very helpful.

totster :D

Thanks for this posted a thread insturctions to remove the virus arrived one hour later the virus is gone ta again

Try the guys here..

Follow the instructions in the pinned topics.. and then do exactly as they say..

Thanks for this posted a thread insturctions to remove the virus arrived one hour later the virus is gone ta again

Totster, no disrespect... I seen your other posts, and I have been "enlightened" now and then, but in this case, when I follow the link you provided, the only pinned topic that seems relevent is "Am I infected? What do I do?"

It is pretty obvious from the OP that he/she is infected, and from what I have testified in my post, so am I. But this link provides nothing helpful, unless I dig, dig and dig deeper withing the myriad of other links it points to.

Ho-Hum... it would be easier for me to just re-install the OS.

Just my opinion. I respect yours.

Try the guys here..

Totster, no disrespect... I seen your other posts, and I have been "enlightened" now and then, but in this case, when I follow the link you provided, the only pinned topic that seems relevent is "Am I infected? What do I do?"

It is pretty obvious from the OP that he/she is infected, and from what I have testified in my post, so am I. But this link provides nothing helpful, unless I dig, dig and dig deeper withing the myriad of other links it points to.

Ho-Hum... it would be easier for me to just re-install the OS.

Just my opinion. I respect yours.

Fair enough.. but it seems like the OP had no problems whatsoever with using that forum..and got his problem fixed without having to reinstall the OS...

The link provides access to support and advice from people trained in removing spyware and infections. They keep it nice and simple so that normal PC users are able to follow the instructions to remove infections safely.

I'm guessing someone who thinks they know about computers will prefer to soldier on themselves rather than get help.. up to them

The fact that the OP managed to get his problem sorted in an hour speaks for itself... I'm sorry it was too complicated for you.

I actually have in excess of 2000 virii/worms/trojans and spyware on one of my machines.

Formatting and re-installing an OS is completely unnecessary AND, if you install Windows, you are likely to get 4 or 5 whilst your computer is contacting the M$ website for all the updates. The vast majority of virii/worms etc are installed by YOU! . (usually through cracks - serves you right - or email attatchments). There are a couple of clever ones out there.....but a robust firewall is more than a match for them.

Virii generally rely on users ignorance. But a well informed user with a firewall is virtually impregnable. Prevention is better than cure. Just don't get them in the first place.

2 easy tips for the un-initiated (will prevent most problems).

1. Change the file association for VBS and VBE (visual basic scripts) to EDIT instead of OPEN (open is the default). If you do get a nasty script as an email attachment (regardless of the hidden extesions) it will harmlessly open it in notepad instead of executing. If you do really need to run VBS scripts (most people don't) you can always save it and then run it.

2. if you see tinyftp.exe on your machine...delete it (this is the most common way trojans are propegated). you don't need it and if it comes back or you see it running in task manager, you can be 95% sure someone is trying to install a backdoor. Please note though that tinyftp.exe is distributed with windows but is only usually used by nefarious characters.

Hope this helps.

Flamers welcome :o

Edited by thailand_property_search