Thai monk's 'death wish puts followers at risk'

webfact

Google Mahasamadhi.

"Mahasamādhi (the great and final samādhi) is the act of consciously and intentionally leaving one's body at the time of enlightenment. A realized yogi (male) or yogini (female) who has attained the state of nirvikalpa samadhi, will, at an appropriate time, consciously exit from their body. This is known as mahasamadhi. This is not the same as the physical death that occurs for an unenlightened person.

Enlightened yogis take their mahasamadhi during their final practice of samadhi: and they expire during this final sadhana practice. Therefore, mahasamadhi occurs only once in a lifetime, when the yogi finally casts off their mortal frame and their karma is extinguished upon death.

An enlightened or realized yogi is one who has attained the nondual state of nirvikalpa samadhi where duality of subject and object are resolved and the yogi becomes permanently established in the unity of full enlightenment."

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

There is a long and strong tradition, documented by many many recorded stories, of monks, shaman, gurus and so on deciding to die and doing that by force of will.

These stories are older and more plentiful than modern medicine.wai.gif.pagespeed.ce.ptXUXgG4cA.gif width=20 alt=wai.gif>

This happened to quite a few Tibetan masters who were jailed when the Chinese invaded and foresaw only jail and torture with no chance to teach again in that lifetime..

He told them he would lie in his coffin..he didn't tell them to close or seal it.

Meditators can sometimes become aware of their death date and method...but those who do not meditate would never believe the power of the mind.

I have many, many hours meditating and attempting various other mindfulness practices. Go down this road and you will eventually come to have life changing spiritual experiences.

However the idea that it will confer supernatural powers, such as visions illustrating the method and date(!!) of ones demise is a ridiculous superstition. The suggestion only takes away from the true beauty of what is really available.

My teacher L.P.Jaran who is an Arahant has always stated the practice of Vipassana CAN enable one to see one's time of death, see the cause of one's karma, as well as giving the wisdom to help with many of life's problems.

If you practice concentration meditation and reach the fourth jhana then some supernormal powers can be attained...one of which is the ability to see past lives.

"the wisdom (perspective?) to help with many of life's problems" is an entirely plausible outcome of mindfulness. Prescience and knowledge of past lives are not.

I'm sure he makes such statements in good faith. But extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. The only reasonable conclusion a thinker should draw is that he is mistaken on these points.

Edited by cocopops

It's not clear from that article: did the monk actually die, or is this just speculation of what could happen if he did die?

I found the wording very confusing as well.

I am guessing he died since I don't think they would have a story about someone who might die....but then again, one never knows for sure.

I have just asked my long haired general.

Apparently they will not know if he is dead until 1300. He instructed the people that he was not to checked between 2100 last night and 1300 today.

Ah, so, like Schrodinger`s Cat, at the moment he is both alive and dead.

"the wisdom (perspective?) to help with many of life's problems" is an entirely plausible outcome of mindfulness. Prescience and knowledge of past lives are not.

I'm sure he makes such statements in good faith. But extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. The only reasonable conclusion a thinker should draw is that he is mistaken on these points.

Your thinking and deciding is that of an unenlightened worldling. The truths known by enlightened ones is beyond you. Proof is only obtained for oneself by personal practice and cannot be shown to others. Those who are too lazy to do the practice will never know the real truth. What is plausible or reasonable to you is irrelevant since your unenlightened mind will never accept its own ignorance.

This happened to quite a few Tibetan masters who were jailed when the Chinese invaded and foresaw only jail and torture with no chance to teach again in that lifetime..

My teacher L.P.Jaran who is an Arahant has always stated the practice of Vipassana CAN enable one to see one's time of death, see the cause of one's karma, as well as giving the wisdom to help with many of life's problems.

I seriously doubt that L P Jaran is an arahat.

bankei

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

There is a long and strong tradition, documented by many many recorded stories, of monks, shaman, gurus and so on deciding to die and doing that by force of will.

These stories are older and more plentiful than modern medicine.wai.gif.pagespeed.ce.ptXUXgG4cA.gif width=20 alt=wai.gif>

He told them he would lie in his coffin..he didn't tell them to close or seal it.

Meditators can sometimes become aware of their death date and method...but those who do not meditate would never believe the power of the mind.

I have many, many hours meditating and attempting various other mindfulness practices. Go down this road and you will eventually come to have life changing spiritual experiences.

However the idea that it will confer supernatural powers, such as visions illustrating the method and date(!!) of ones demise is a ridiculous superstition. The suggestion only takes away from the true beauty of what is really available.

If you practice concentration meditation and reach the fourth jhana then some supernormal powers can be attained...one of which is the ability to see past lives.

Gobbledegook

Your thinking and deciding is that of an unenlightened worldling. The truths known by enlightened ones is beyond you. Proof is only obtained for oneself by personal practice and cannot be shown to others. Those who are too lazy to do the practice will never know the real truth. What is plausible or reasonable to you is irrelevant since your unenlightened mind will never accept its own ignorance.

Normal BS, we are so blind we cant see eh, Let me guess non believers have a closed mind etc etc yawn