Illegally-parked damaged cars in Bangkok will be towed away starting Sept 15

webfact

I think the issue is the RTP do not have enough compound to store such vehicles.

But as said if illegally parked cars were moved to a compound then revenues could be collected from the owners or selling them on to scrap dealers, I think in many areas they would be hard pressed to find a parking spot in any side street.

As stated repeatedly, why move them? Why bother. Moving one or a hundred will not ease any problem; nor will it teach a lesson to the people of FACE.

Save money and make a big warning to people's FACE.

Leave the vehicle where it sits.

Clamp it and paste a big sign for the world to see: "Illegally parked. Designated for Auction or Scrap"

There is a number and info at the bottom of the sticker for the owner to call and have an officer come out and check the license, ownership papers and insurance forms.

No registration... scrap it or auction it.

No license... scrap it or auction it.

No insurance... scrap it or auction it.

At the same time, all those Thais get to see how one Thai gets embarrassed to have a huge sticker on their car when they return to it and try to drive away. FACE is lost and I'll guarantee they won't do it again if they can provide the docs and pay the fee.

Again, there is absolutely no reason to move around something when there is really no place to move it to, and to do so would require more time, energy, resources and cost to the government than simply letting it sit there for two days (or less) to eliminate the problem permanently once A or B were met.

The way the system is now, no one gets embarrassed. No one pays the piper for illegally operating a vehicle without a license, ownership papers or permission, and no insurance.

The police are going way over the top and expending way too much time, energy, resources and cost over one stupid idiot and his or her vehicle. Four or five officers, drivers, lot attendants, etc to handle one idiots baggage.

Why do this when no one cares either way, but my way the jackass loses FACE in front of the world, and that is more important to any Thai; more important than their own life blood.

It has nothing to do with a nanny state. The car is the owners property, but the roads are owned by the government, and driving on them is an earned and paid-for privilege, not an entitlement.

So someone parks a Mercedes and you think a 3million Baht loss/fine (value of the car) is justified because i.e. he/she doesn't have a driving licence.

What would you suggest for speeding? The death penalty?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand moving them to side roads which are narrower and would cause more problems. Why not have a lot to take them to and charge the owner for the towing and storage until they pick up the vehicle. If they don't pick it up within a time limit auction the vehicles.

This would be to easy and against Thai logic.

A Thai man once tried to explain Thai logic to me. He said we have logic, but it is very different than your logic. I myself, consider this place to have a limited amount of common sense, reason or logic. Is it just me? Or do most consider that to be the case? How many times a day do I reflect on the seeming absence of these qualities from the LOS. Thais have alot of other qualities that I respect and admire. But, these three do not appear to be amongst them. Best if one just gives up expecting them.

I bought a little MiniMart the wife and run and because it was too difficult to go shop for resupply at Makro in a taxi I bought a truck. Now in driving around Bangkok and wanting to stop and shop or look for an item I realize why this problem is so big. There is no parking provided anywhere outside of one of the big shopping centers with a well known anchor store. So if you want to shop in a store on say Rama 4 for instance you have to park at the kerb. There usually isn't even a side Soi near by on which to park. However there are too many who are just inconsiderate in the way or the place they park or even the time of day. I don't see this problem being solved.

Because that would make sense.

I don't understand moving them to side roads which are narrower and would cause more problems. Why not have a lot to take them to and charge the owner for the towing and storage until they pick up the vehicle. If they don't pick it up within a time limit auction the vehicles.

I think the issue is the RTP do not have enough compound to store such vehicles.

But as said if illegally parked cars were moved to a compound then revenues could be collected from the owners or selling them on to scrap dealers, I think in many areas they would be hard pressed to find a parking spot in any side street.

As stated repeatedly, why move them? Why bother. Moving one or a hundred will not ease any problem; nor will it teach a lesson to the people of FACE.

Save money and make a big warning to people's FACE.

Leave the vehicle where it sits.

Clamp it and paste a big sign for the world to see: "Illegally parked. Designated for Auction or Scrap"

There is a number and info at the bottom of the sticker for the owner to call and have an officer come out and check the license, ownership papers and insurance forms.

At the same time, all those Thais get to see how one Thai gets embarrassed to have a huge sticker on their car when they return to it and try to drive away. FACE is lost and I'll guarantee they won't do it again if they can provide the docs and pay the fee.

Again, there is absolutely no reason to move around something when there is really no place to move it to, and to do so would require more time, energy, resources and cost to the government than simply letting it sit there for two days (or less) to eliminate the problem permanently once A or B were met.

The way the system is now, no one gets embarrassed. No one pays the piper for illegally operating a vehicle without a license, ownership papers or permission, and no insurance.

The police are going way over the top and expending way too much time, energy, resources and cost over one stupid idiot and his or her vehicle. Four or five officers, drivers, lot attendants, etc to handle one idiots baggage.

Why do this when no one cares either way, but my way the jackass loses FACE in front of the world, and that is more important to any Thai; more important than their own life blood.

It has nothing to do with a nanny state. The car is the owners property, but the roads are owned by the government, and driving on them is an earned and paid-for privilege, not an entitlement.

So someone parks a Mercedes and you think a 3million Baht loss/fine (value of the car) is justified because i.e. he/she doesn't have a driving licence.

What would you suggest for speeding? The death penalty?

You sound like the kind of person who gets told something emphatically and yet still goes ahead and defies what you were told.

Moreover, you are condoning the operation of a vehicle without a license to do so.

You must have been congratulating that teenage girl for getting off scott free after murdering those poor people in the passenger van with her daddy's Mercedes Benz, whilst driving it without a license.

No, the point is, you offer no suggestion other than to imply what has been tried and is being played out at present; to play paddy fingers with a bunch of idiots who will push the envelope right over the edge of the cliff and not stop until they hit bottom.

"So someone parks a Mercedes and you think a 3million Baht loss/fine (value of the car) is justified because i.e. he/she doesn't have a driving licence."

Nice one, Tantic! But your logic is skewed if you turn it around and ask, "If you own a 3 million baht vehicle, are you going to to be stupid (or arrogant) enough to risk behaving like an inconsiderate and/or unsafe driver and operate or park it illegally and be subjected to seeing it hauled away for auction or scrap"?

So yes... auction it or scrap it for no driving license... maybe even give the auction proceeds to the families of the deceased victims in the event your precious driver is a stupid, spoiled rotten, teenage girl without a license.

Laziness or cheek is not an excuse for complaining when your curly hairs get clamped, because you gambled and lost.

The point is, YOU LOSE! So shut up and play by the rules before you lose a lot more than that.

Then the secondary roads and lanes will be jammed up. The authorities should issue a public announcement telling vehicle owners of those parked vehicles to remove their cars before a deadline, failing which the unclaimed vehicles will be sent for scraping. The money earned could help the needy or fund for restructuring the economy.

Will not work for old cars ready to be scraped. Owners park these cars along the road because the cost to tow them to the scrapyard is higher than the scrape value.

Only fines and jail time would work.

Had to do a quick run to the US embassy on Monday. Wireless road had many cars parked in the left lane. Traffic was a mess. Easy money, IMHO. Ticket and then tow them. Flashers on or not.

I saw them do this in Moscow. Would work great here also.

You'd be more Holy if you tried that on my car. tongue.png

GOOD move. Its only the arrogant P.....'s that park where they want regardless of the effect on other people. Make sure the fine for return of vehicle runs into the thousands. Actually saw one wheel clamped and being loaded onto a truck on Wednesday just gone.

Had to do a quick run to the US embassy on Monday. Wireless road had many cars parked in the left lane. Traffic was a mess. Easy money, IMHO. Ticket and then tow them. Flashers on or not.

I saw them do this in Moscow. Would work great here also.

You'd be more Holy if you tried that on my car. tongue.png

No, but because you are an intelligent and conscientious vehicle owner, your vehicle would never end up in a position to be hoisted onto the back of a flat deck truck.

However, if you were foolish and arrogant enough to leave your car unattended in a no parking zone, for a period long enough to warrant removal, then you would deserve everything you got. It's fairly simple isn't it ? tongue.png

• Like 1