Illegally-parked damaged cars in Bangkok will be towed away starting Sept 15

webfact

Illegally-parked damaged cars will be towed away starting September 15

9-10-2014-6-50-14-AM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Starting on September 15, all damaged cars which are parked on the streets in Bangkok will be towed away to secondary roads or lanes in order to open more space on the main roads for traffic, said Pol Maj-Gen Adul Narongsak, deputy commissioner of Metropolitan Police Bureau in charge of traffic.

Moreover, all police stations have been instructed to each day identify one road in their areas which has the most illegally-parked cars so that special traffic police mobile teams will be sent out to wheel-clamp the cars as part of the Metropolitan Police Bureau’s renewed effort to discourage illegal parking on streets.

Traffic police have also been told to get tough on texting while driving, said Pol Maj-Gen Adul.

The MPB today presented rewards to police units and police stations with the best records of wheel-clamping and texting arrests.

The first patrol unit of the First Sub-division of traffic police won the top award for 3,873 wheel-clamped cars followed by Pathumwan station’s 3,767 wheel-clamps and Chokechai station’s 3,279 wheel-clamps.

Phyathai police station ranks the top for 735 arrests of texting cases followed by Nong Khaem’s 211 cases and Nang Leong station’s 202 cases.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/illegally-parked-damaged-cars-will-towed-away-starting-september-15/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-09-10

• Like 1

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why just Bangkok

Why does the Police have to be told to do their job...

Instead of informing the Police, why dont they dismiss the commanders of stations that allow illegal parking and other nonsense to continue... Im sure it would be more proactive than keeping the useless commanders employed! They did it to the useless PM...

• Like 1

Why not tow them to a garage where they can be fixed? Doesn't block main roads, doesn't block secondary roads, no need for publicly (police) owned lots to store the cars.

In Thailand the idea of towing them away is innovative rocket science enough. Ideas like yours'll make 'em mentally train wreck....wait a few decades.....

• Like 2

This really is got to be a laugh.We will tow all these cars away and put them in some narrow side road.Right outside some unfortunate buggers house,and if we can top the list we will get a prize for being the best police force. Now the car can stay there and rot!!!! This is a great help to someone who has a car that does not go and cant be fixed because of lack of money and is stranded on some main road somewhere.GREAT THINKING GUYS

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I heard about the guy done for texting while driving in Phyathai. He said "But I haven't got a phone!" and the BIB said "I'll lend you mine."

Here's another, bur different surrounding. I forbid my uni students from texting in class.

I caught one female student texting, her response "but professor it's so important because my sister has a new dog and he's so lovely".

• Like 2

Well now...what should one think about that.

I think the tow truck drivers will be corrupted pretty fast...as on the first day of enforcement....bonanza!.......Thank you military guy government for the new highly lucrative way of making money by trying to enforce new laws that can easily be corrupted.

Honey...we gonna be rich soon!

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I heard about the guy done for texting while driving in Phyathai. He said "But I haven't got a phone!" and the BIB said "I'll lend you mine."

Here's another, bur different surrounding. I forbid my uni students from texting in class.

I caught one female student texting, her response "but professor it's so important because my sister has a new dog and he's so lovely".

I can relate to this very much.

In one of my last jobs at a technical school i was told not to come down on the use of mobile phones in class as all of the students were on full govt grants and if I annoyed them and they left the grant money went with them !

Just think people talk about education reform cheesy.gif

• Like 1

"The MPB today presented rewards to police units and police stations with the best records of wheel-clamping and texting arrests." cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Does anyone NOT find that extremely amusing?

An easy fix to the problem is take the car's to a holding yard (not run by customs), notify the owner, hold the car for 30 days for the owner to pay and collect. If the car is there on day 31 send it to the crusher for recycling.

• Like 1

Remove them to storage, contact the owner via registration plates if attached (if not bad luck as they shouldn't be on the street anyway) 30 days to be collected and paid for after which they will be disposed of. Fixes the problem very quickly.

• Like 1

Wonder how many will report their broken car stolen

Let them report them stolen - police can advise a central register of illegally parked cars removed from the streets and its new location (holding yard or recycled) - the police where the stolen report is lodged and all insurance companies can access the register once reported stolen. No problem no rocket science involved.

Whatever happened to the idea mooted by Mr. T and before him a senator, I think, that military Chinooks should be used to lift illegally parked vehicle etc off the roads ?

With all the overhead cables, plate glass, other parked vehicles etc that would be a sight to see not to mention the extra traffic jam it would cause.

• Like 1

Actually there is plenty space for cars to be towed to and stored charge 200 baht a day give 60 days to claim If not claim by then car sold at auction owner of car still liable for fine and storage, All proceeds goes to build proper police storage yard, any car found not to be in running condition turned to scrap and sold. When owner try's to renew license or purchase another car before paying fine and storage off new car held 30 days and sold. make car dealers Check to see if person has no outstanding fines pending. Before selling them a car. Make all private sales of cars be done LTO office. So no clearance no sale. Yes a pain in the butt but Thai's need to be dragged in to do thing's legal.

• Like 1