Internet & Phone Line Bundling

BlowFish

Hi,

Can any one explain how things work Thailand regarding ISP's and phone lines. For example for the 3 main telephone providers CAT ToT TT&T (are there more?) can I select any of the 'main' ISP's with any phone line. I have got some clues from some of the former posts but would like to be quite clear.

CAn the 'main' ISP's own equipment in telephone exchanges (unbundled as we would say in the UK)? Or would they usually lease it from whoever?

Do CAT ToT TT&T share the same exchanges or tend to?

Just trying to get my head around how telecoms works (or dosen't!!) in Thailand.

Cheers.

I don't think CAT provides local phone lines.

True does.

You are not limited in the ISP, all types of line will allow an indepentant ISP,say Loxley,

but you cannot use TOT as hour ISP if you are on a TT&T line.

Kind of logical.

As astral alludes, thai DSL is an unbundled service. I understand the ISPs do co-locate with the telco for some of the gateway equipment but not everything.

Generally, TT&T and TOT do not share lines, although I have seen them share pedestals in some places. I always thought the exchanges were common facilities, but am not sure why. (Mainly I haven't seen two exchanges in a single area, but I'm not in the telephone-exchange spotting game.)

Hopefully someone else can give you the matrix on ISP's availability on TT&T and TOT.

Thanks,

I imagine telephone exchange spotting is a relatively dull hobby :o Its one I am considering, I figure if I can find somewhere to live that is relatively close I have a better chance of getting reasonable service.

In the UK the copper from exchange to house is pretty much owned and maintained by one company. From what your saying that is not the case in Thailand? Are the companies (TT&T TOT) equally good/bad at maintaining the 'local loop' (copper and connections to the exchange)?

Thanks.