Skype And Linux - (partial) System Hangup

Gumballl

Is anyone using Skype and Linux? I am using Fedora Core 5, and I just installed Skype. For the first call, Skype works fine, but afterwards, it performs no actions. Even when I try to launch a new application (of any kind), nothing seems to work... almost as if there was a system hangup. Fortunately I still had my web browser open, and thus was able to enter this query to the TV forum.

BTW, I am running the latest/greatest Skype version (1.2.0.18) available for linux. Obtained at http://www.skype.com.

Edited by Gumballl

Is anyone using Skype and Linux? I am using Fedora Core 5, and I just installed Skype. For the first call, Skype works fine, but afterwards, it performs no actions. Even when I try to launch a new application (of any kind), nothing seems to work... almost as if there was a system hangup. Fortunately I still had my web browser open, and thus was able to enter this query to the TV forum.

BTW, I am running the latest/greatest Skype version (1.2.0.18) available for linux. Obtained at http://www.skype.com.

Hi,

I am running the latest Skype on Suse without any issues. The Suse version i am using is 9.1 . Maybe try a reinstall?

rcm :o

Finally got Skype working, using their beta version 1.3.0.30_API. However, there are latencies involved when placing a call. I am able to place a call, and receive the audio greeting from the callee; however my voice is not transmitted for a few moments, thus giving the callee the impression that no one (the caller) is on the other end.

Second issue I am having is that I am unable to call a mobile phone in Thailand using my skype service. I keep getting the 1-2-Call "call-back" service message. If I call using my mobile phone, then there is not a problem.

Can anyone address these issues, namely the second one?

• 2 weeks later...

Gumball, I use Skype with Mepis 6.0 and have experienced some latency issues which I think are more a function of international bandwidth availability than the software installation.

Perhaps Skype does not pay interconnection ffees to 1-2 Call and thus you can't connect to that service provider.

• 2 weeks later...

Sulaphat, thanks for your reply. Soon after my first attempts to use Skype, I gave up and , I decided to get a 6 Mbps hi-speed internet service with my local cable-tv provider. Now I just rely on my Vonage service which I have had for over a year, and which was not available while I was moving residences from point A to B.

Personally I am really disappointed with Skype, because it does not transmit anything worthwhile to the callee about who is calling. And they delays... those occurred even when I was calling within my own country (the US). I am glad I only invested $15 (or so) in buying international-calling credits. I have already cut my losses on the Skype-POS. In fact, I even took back to my local electronics dealer the headphone/microphone headset I bought so that I could get a refund.

Skype = Hype.