Limit on VOAs?

1. Is the following correct, as of Sep 2014?

---------------------------------------------------------------

Source: "Pattaya Property Guide", August 2014, issue 45, page 26.
[ www.pattayapropertyguide.com ]

Article, "Update on Visa Situation", by www.magnacarta.co.th

"Under the new provisions of the VER [Visa Exemption Rule], visitors can now come regularly to Thailand without limiting their stay within a total of 90 days in a six-month period, though you can only stay for a maximum of 30 days each visit under the VER.

"The former provision stated that visitors cannot stay for more than 90 days within six months has been dropped.

"Tourists will be given a 30 day Visa on Arrival if arriving by air ... (15 day ... via a land border) ... .

"Furthermore, extensions ... after the Visa on Arrival has expired remain at 7 days ... ."

---------------------------------------------------------------

2. Is there any other limit for visitors with the 30-day VOA?

3. Can I literally stay in Thailand for 30 days on a VOA, exit the country, re-enter the next day by an airline to obtain another 30-day VOA, and then repeat this process every 31 days?

Sorry, if my questions seem too simplistic.

I tried a little research on the Thai Visa board and 3 things were apparent. 1 - Each Thai visa official has his/her interpretation of the Thai law. 2 - Apparently there is a limit to back-to-back visa depending on the issuing office? 3 - There is a limit to the duration of a single visa, but it may depend on the type of visa and single/multiple entry, etc.

Yes, I have a lot to learn.

That article is totally incorrect.

You can get 30 days and even now extend it by 30 days. But you cannot continuously stay on visa exempt entries (as they are called) in Thailand. Then you will be denied entry.

If you want to stay long time in Thailand you must obtain the right visa.

That article has many mistakes.

There is no 90 days rule visa exempt rules, it has been repelled in 2008. G7 countries get 30 days arriving by land. Extension is 30 days not 7.

However one can't do repeated back-to-back visa exempt entries.

How about 30 days + 30 day extension. Then two weeks outside of the country followed by another 30 days + 30 days extension?

Is that possible or should I when out of the country get a tourist visa and if so then do some local countries give me a longer tourist visa than others and how long would it last me for?

I see that you ask repeatedly the same question, so will have to repeat the same answer again.

Visa exempt entry and extensions is not a good way to stay in Thailand. Tourist visa is not ideal, but better than that.

• Like 1

"I see that you ask repeatedly the same question, so will have to repeat the same answer again."

He'll probably have to ask it again since you didn't answer his second question.

Every consulate will give you the same tourist visa.

A single entry tourist visa is good for 60 days and can be extended for another 30 days at an immigration office.

You can get a 2 entry tourist visa at the embassy or consulate in Laos. The can a total stay of about 180 days by extending each 60 day entry 30 days at immigration.

You can get single entry visas at other nearby embassy or consulates.

You could get a 30 day entry then extend it for 30 days then go out for a couple of weeks and get one more 30 day entry if that fits your travel plans.

That article has many mistakes.

reading again (my bad), actually it does't have that many mistakes.

"Under the new provisions of the VER [Visa Exemption Rule], visitors can now come regularly to Thailand without limiting their stay within a total of 90 days in a six-month period, though you can only stay for a maximum of 30 days each visit under the VER.

"The former provision stated that visitors cannot stay for more than 90 days within six months has been dropped.

"Tourists will be given a 30 day Visa on Arrival if arriving by air ... (15 day ... via a land border) ... .

That is all correct excpet Visa On Arrival is "visa exempt".

Edited by paz