US teacher accidentally shoots self

webfact

A teacher was legally carrying a gun in school!!! What the hell???!!!

The bizarre, archaic and utterly nonsensical gun laws in America absolutely beggar belief.

It's a different culture that you aren't expected to understand.

In my state I'm allowed to carry a gun into any school from preschool through uni, and I'm not a teacher or employee. The punk kids who've done school shootings don't qualify to carry guns. They are breaking the law just by possessing.

The countless teachers who carry guns do so to protect themselves and students from some nutter school shooter. To the best of my knowledge, no school shooting has been attempted in the presence of teachers who had guns.

If I was going to have a happy dream, it would be me standing on a street in London when some punk decides he's going to behead a soldier or an elderly woman, or to just happen to be in a school when some punk decides he's going to shoot the place up.

With freedom comes risk, but a different kind of risk than an unarmed population is taking.

Freedom isn't free, and some things are worth dying for, to paraphrase a couple of sayings.

But you wouldn't understand that.

The unarmed UK population seems to suffer alot less gun related deaths than the armed US citizens.

In not more than one generation, when your traitorous government has allowed you to be overrun by Islamic extremists, you will be begging for your guns. But you don't have freedom of speech or any other way to make changes. You are unarmed and verbally stifled.

Americans have always played the long game on this issue while the UK prefers to be short sighted. We are ready, will accept the risks, and won't take shit off anyone including our government because we have a constitution and a certain mindset.

I don't expect you to understand, until it's too late.

" won't take shit off anyone including our government because we have a constitution and a certain mindset."

And that really seems to be working well for you at the moment doesn't it? "I've got a pen, and I've got a phone."giggle.gif

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The bizarre, archaic and utterly nonsensical gun laws in America absolutely beggar belief.

In my state I'm allowed to carry a gun into any school from preschool through uni, and I'm not a teacher or employee. The punk kids who've done school shootings don't qualify to carry guns. They are breaking the law just by possessing.

The countless teachers who carry guns do so to protect themselves and students from some nutter school shooter. To the best of my knowledge, no school shooting has been attempted in the presence of teachers who had guns.

If I was going to have a happy dream, it would be me standing on a street in London when some punk decides he's going to behead a soldier or an elderly woman, or to just happen to be in a school when some punk decides he's going to shoot the place up.

With freedom comes risk, but a different kind of risk than an unarmed population is taking.

Freedom isn't free, and some things are worth dying for, to paraphrase a couple of sayings.

Luckily even in your own country there are more and more people who "don't understand your culture" .

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/more-restaurants-guns-butter-don-093000345.html

More Restaurants Say Guns and Butter Don’t Mix

Anyone can restrict guns from his private property, and that includes businesses. However, to enforce it, they have to have a prominent sign at every entrance door to that effect.

This is different from some business which "politely asks" that people don't bring guns. That's talking out of both sides of your mouth to keep everyone happy. You give lip service to a gun free zone but don't restrict them.

If you actually restricted guns from your business, you'd lose too many customers. I've never seen such a sign on a business.

My Glock is concealed. Concealed means concealed. Everyone's happy.

Are you kidding? They are everywhere in the states. Where exactly do you live? Practically every shopping mall in America has "no guns or weapons" signs at each entrance. Too suggest that the number of people carrying would effect a business which bans guns is, well, pretty funny.

Edited by NomadJoe

Luckily even in your own country there are more and more people who "don't understand your culture" .

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/more-restaurants-guns-butter-don-093000345.html

More Restaurants Say Guns and Butter Don’t Mix

Anyone can restrict guns from his private property, and that includes businesses. However, to enforce it, they have to have a prominent sign at every entrance door to that effect.

This is different from some business which "politely asks" that people don't bring guns. That's talking out of both sides of your mouth to keep everyone happy. You give lip service to a gun free zone but don't restrict them.

If you actually restricted guns from your business, you'd lose too many customers. I've never seen such a sign on a business.

My Glock is concealed. Concealed means concealed. Everyone's happy.

That last is a very big assumption...

• Like 1

“It's a different culture that you aren't expected to understand.”cowboy.gif

A bit presumptuous and patronizing aren’t you?

“But you wouldn't understand that.”

Oh, I do. It’s one of the reasons I left there.

“If I was going to have a happy dream,…”

I imagine all killers have their own “Happy Dream”…blink.png

Oh, the irony…cheesy.gif

Edited by iReason
  • Like 1

Now we see the violence inherent in the system! (can anyone name the movie). Firstly a problem with your 'happy' dream is that if you carry your weapon in London our police will arrest you and you WILL spend a long time in jail. If I had a 'happy dream', it would be that there were no people beheading anyone, that we all lived in a peaceful society. Your happy dream is that you ARE killing people you want the gung ho shoot em up 'kill a punk' situation to be part of your fantasy world. Can you see what is wrong with that? You are a product of a violent society.

you say

"Americans have always played the long game on this issue while the UK prefers to be short sighted. We are ready, will accept the risks, and won't take shit off anyone including our government because we have a constitution and a certain mindset."

The US have not been part of any 'long game' yet. You have a 250 year history, it is not a long game. The funny thing is that you all DO take continuous s**t off your Government, regardless of how many guns you have and your constantly stated intention of 'taking no s**t'. The patriot act, the restriction of freedoms, the prisons for profit, where a man that pays TOO MUCH money in alimony to his kids goes to jail, the fact that the US will tax it's citizens regardless of where they live in the world and that your Government has bullied the world's confidential banking systems into disclosing all the accounts of all it's citizens world-wide. If you think you have freedom you can honestly keep it.

Why/How has this woman shot herself in school. Why is she not examined to ensure she is competent to carry a lethal weapon in a school full of primary children? We examine people who drive cars, another lethal weapon in the wrong hands, yet no examination of a woman carrying a concealed gun. Why was the safety not on etc etc. Isn't it lucky that she did not discharge the weapon in class and kill a child? Or would that be seen as just being an acceptable risk, collateral damage perhaps. Violent societies beget violence, and your happy dreams are killing people.

The Holy Grail, can I claim a prize?

Indeed you can Pitrevie, there is an afternoon of free Bolly and dancing girls on Bora Bora tomorrow, you are welcome to join in.

Just for you..........and it is funny, and oh so true......

The "culture" is not different - it is based on the immigrants from UK and Europe who populated those lands and displaced the natives. UK and Europe have largely learned how to keep order through education and social standards -- it's not perfect, but it works and any guns n the streets are in the hands of military or police only - or they are illegal. This makes life a lot less stressful smile.png

The culture and the people are entirely different. You should be able to see that with no help from me.

Those who ventured across the ocean at a time when sailing wasn't safe to a new land that wasn't safe, and began to forge themselves new lives of freedom were nothing like those who stayed behind.

The King of England at the time was a tyrant. Those who came to America did so to escape him. But he followed and took power over the new colonies. When they'd had enough they rose up and kicked his ass all the way back to England. Those who stayed in England continued to take his abuse.

The colonists rose up with their own guns and fought off the Redcoats of England and WE haven't forgotten that someday we may again have to fight for our freedom.

America was born in blood, lived in blood, and it hasn't been all that long. Those still in Europe have had it too soft for too long and they don't even seem to see the danger as their traitorous government gives up their borders and even some PC laws to extremists. They don't see the danger that's increasingly surrounding them and will eat their children up because they don't have the guts to do anything about it.

Mark my words.

The "culture" is not different - it is based on the immigrants from UK and Europe who populated those lands and displaced the natives. UK and Europe have largely learned how to keep order through education and social standards -- it's not perfect, but it works and any guns n the streets are in the hands of military or police only - or they are illegal. This makes life a lot less stressful smile.png

The culture and the people are entirely different. You should be able to see that with no help from me.

Those who ventured across the ocean at a time when sailing wasn't safe to a new land that wasn't safe, and began to forge themselves new lives of freedom were nothing like those who stayed behind.

The King of England at the time was a tyrant. Those who came to America did so to escape him. But he followed and took power over the new colonies. When they'd had enough they rose up and kicked his ass all the way back to England. Those who stayed in England continued to take his abuse.

The colonists rose up with their own guns and fought off the Redcoats of England and WE haven't forgotten that someday we may again have to fight for our freedom.

America was born in blood, lived in blood, and it hasn't been all that long. Those still in Europe have had it too soft for too long and they don't even seem to see the danger as their traitorous government gives up their borders and even some PC laws to extremists. They don't see the danger that's increasingly surrounding them and will eat their children up because they don't have the guts to do anything about it.

Mark my words.

What you mean WE, Kimo Sabe?

The unarmed UK population seems to suffer alot less gun related deaths than the armed US citizens.

In not more than one generation, when your traitorous government has allowed you to be overrun by Islamic extremists, you will be begging for your guns. But you don't have freedom of speech or any other way to make changes. You are unarmed and verbally stifled.

Americans have always played the long game on this issue while the UK prefers to be short sighted. We are ready, will accept the risks, and won't take shit off anyone including our government because we have a constitution and a certain mindset.

I don't expect you to understand, until it's too late.

& whats a Columbine or a Sandy Hook matter, either way?

"They don't see the danger that's increasingly surrounding them and will eat their children up"

if you've got any left.

Edited by DekDaeng

Why/How has this woman shot herself in school. Why is she not examined to ensure she is competent to carry a lethal weapon in a school full of primary children? We examine people who drive cars, another lethal weapon in the wrong hands, yet no examination of a woman carrying a concealed gun. Why was the safety not on etc etc. Isn't it lucky that she did not discharge the weapon in class and kill a child? Or would that be seen as just being an acceptable risk, collateral damage perhaps. Violent societies beget violence, and your happy dreams are killing people.

There are two sort of "levels" when it comes to carrying. There is open carry (OC), and there is concealed carry (CC or CCW). OC, as it sounds, requires the firearm to not be concealed, but carried openly. This mostly involves the 2nd amendment and is perceived as an Americans "God given right." Some states require OC'ed firearms not be loaded, but ammunition may be carried along side. In regards to OC, you are correct that there is no competency exams or other requirements other than a federally mandated background check, that is unless buy from a gun show. Felons generally cannot possess a firearm, so even if you avoid the background check at a gun show, you are violating law by possessing it, but the seller has committed no crime. I do not think this teacher was open carrying.

With the exception of Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Vermont and Wyoming, a permit is required to carry concealed. To obtain a permit requires passing a course in safety and marksmanship. Both of my parents have CCW's and I often carried concealed for nearly a decade before moving to Thailand. So yes, if she was legal,and it sounds as if she was, then she had some training. As to how or why the gun went off, why it wasn't on safety, is unknown. But accidental discharges happen frequently. I know a few people that have had this happen. Sometimes while cleaning. One friend of mine dropped his and when he went to grab it, he inadvertently squeezed the trigger.

Edited by NomadJoe
  • Like 2

Anyone who manages to shoot themselves whilst having a shit should not be allowed to carry a gun.

Anyone who manages to shoot themselves have an accident whilst having a shit driving a car should not be allowed to carry a gun. own a car.

I always find these comparisons funny.

1) A handgun has but one purpose. To kill humans. There is no other purpose. Many things we do in life end in death or injury, but they are necessary for a person or society to function. Guns are not.

2) Often people that do have an accident have their ability to drive removed, depending on fault and the result of the accident. So kind of a pointless comment.

That these kinds of arguments are even put forward shows the lack of any reasonable or valid argument to be made on the pro side.

• Like 1

So you Auzzy's are saying it's civilized in Australia? No offense, but please explain why in such a civilized society you have Machete Attacks!! There's more but i only listed a few.

http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/news/crime-court/man-50-charged-after-two-men-were-attacked-with-a-machete-near-murwillumbah/story-fnje8bkv-1226977594722

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/gang-members-charged-over-machete-attack-in-woolloomooloo/story-fn7y9brv-1226359204255?nk=56c81945945e486f6de35f2f320160cc

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-03-08/jurrah-held-over-machete-attack/3877842

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/20739176/machete-attack-at-bus-stop/

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western-australia/man-in-hospital-after-machete-attack/story-fnhocxo3-1226705547034?nk=56c81945945e486f6de35f2f320160cc

And then there's the UK.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/757632-woman-beheaded-in-london-attack/

In all societies there are criminals and head cases, that is why we have the police. In all the examples you gave concerning Australia and the UK, I do not see one of a teacher shooting themselves while they take a dump in a primary school toilet prior to starting their day's work with children. See the difference yet?

In all the examples you gave concerning Australia and the UK, I do not see one of a teacher shooting themselves while they take a dump in a primary school toilet prior to starting their day's work with children

In my 76 years on this earth, I do believe this is the first time I have ever heard of this happening...anywhere in the world.

If you aren't in the US, don't have any plans to visit or move to the US and have no close relations living in the US, exactly what difference does it make in your lives?

You people need to get a life.

• Like 1

Another case of a complete moron ...I believe people who aren't suppose to be carrying guns for a professional living ( eg soldiers guards etc) should be carrying one or have access to one

You don't see that happening in most parts of Asia. I dont see any logical stats that supports carrying one if you are a civilian.

If you live in Alaska with tons of bears and other praetors outside your yard ...for self protection makes sense to have one in the house ...other than that it's pure lunacy trying to legitimate one or think the gun carrying culture makes sense

• Like 1

Anyone who manages to shoot themselves whilst having a shit should not be allowed to carry a gun.

Most police that are shot in the USA, are shot by other police or themselves in the locker rooms.

Going for a pooh with a gun in a belt holster, you take the gun out and put it on the side, undo your belt, etc.

HINT: Don't attempt to re-holster your gun, with your finger inside the trigger guard.

• Like 2

So you Auzzy's are saying it's civilized in Australia? No offense, but please explain why in such a civilized society you have Machete Attacks!! There's more but i only listed a few.

http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/news/crime-court/man-50-charged-after-two-men-were-attacked-with-a-machete-near-murwillumbah/story-fnje8bkv-1226977594722

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/gang-members-charged-over-machete-attack-in-woolloomooloo/story-fn7y9brv-1226359204255?nk=56c81945945e486f6de35f2f320160cc

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western-australia/man-in-hospital-after-machete-attack/story-fnhocxo3-1226705547034?nk=56c81945945e486f6de35f2f320160cc

And then there's the UK.

In all societies there are criminals and head cases, that is why we have the police. In all the examples you gave concerning Australia and the UK, I do not see one of a teacher shooting themselves while they take a dump in a primary school toilet prior to starting their day's work with children. See the difference yet?

In all the examples you gave concerning Australia and the UK, I do not see one of a teacher shooting themselves while they take a dump in a primary school toilet prior to starting their day's work with children

In my 76 years on this earth, I do believe this is the first time I have ever heard of this happening...anywhere in the world.

If you aren't in the US, don't have any plans to visit or move to the US and have no close relations living in the US, exactly what difference does it make in your lives?

“If you aren't in the US, don't have any plans to visit or move to the US and have no close relations living in the US, exactly what difference does it make in your lives?”

LOL ! A huge difference because US sees itself as setting the " standard " for the rest of the worlds misguided nations rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

And then there's the UK.

I know, right? Some people actually care about other peoples needless suffering and death, even if they aren't immediate friends or family. Crazy huh? How dare they?

• Like 1

Let the criminal believe the potential victim is armed and waiting....

Surely less crimes will happen...

Chock dee for the teacher, i hope she recovers in full and continue's her good doing

• Like 1

Most police that are shot in the USA, are shot by other police or themselves in the locker rooms.

Going for a pooh with a gun in a belt holster, you take the gun out and put it on the side, undo your belt, etc.

HINT: Don't attempt to re-holster your gun, with your finger inside the trigger guard.

While I challenge the claims in your first paragraph, the first thing you learn is to never put your finger in the trigger guard unless you are willing to detroy whatever the gun is pointed it. But with a lot of AD's, it's not the finger that contacts the trigger.

Most people who own and carry guns don't have enough training to handle them properly and safely.