Driving License Renewal - How Far in Advance of Expiration Can I Renewe

davevi

I have a one year driving license for car and motorbike. They both expire this year in December. How far in advance of the expiration date can I renew my license? I now have the proper paperwork and government permits that will allow me to get a 5 year license, and I want to get this settled earliest as possible.

You can't renew until after it has expired.

With all due respect, I just renewed (or more correctly, exchanged a 1-yr for a 5-yr) license yesterday... almost 2 months before it expired. The paper given to me by the Transport office said that renewal can be made 60 days prior to expiration. I renewed at 58 days.

For renewal, you need to keep in mind that certain required documents such as the medical check-up, can not be older than 30 days. To change both car and motorbike licenses, you will need two sets of some documents. Ask the young lady at the information desk on the second floor. She'll give you a copy of the paper with ALL the correct requirements, speaks excellent English, and is pleasant to deal with. I didn't keep my copy of this paper or I would have scanned it into this post for you.

Edited by FolkGuitar
  • Like 1

I stand corrected! Guess its the old rules where you needed to completed a full year on a 1yr probationary license before getting the 5 year.

Thanks for the update

With all due respect, I just renewed (or more correctly, exchanged a 1-yr for a 5-yr) license yesterday... almost 2 months before it expired. The paper given to me by the Transport office said that renewal can be made 60 days prior to expiration. I renewed at 58 days.

For renewal, you need to keep in mind that certain required documents such as the medical check-up, can not be older than 30 days. To change both car and motorbike licenses, you will need two sets of some documents. Ask the young lady at the information desk on the second floor. She'll give you a copy of the paper with ALL the correct requirements, speaks excellent English, and is pleasant to deal with. I didn't keep my copy of this paper or I would have scanned it into this post for you.

I stand corrected! Guess its the old rules where you needed to completed a full year on a 1yr probationary license before getting the 5 year.

Thanks for the update

The rules change so frequently here that it's a wonder anyone can stay up on them! Even the paper I was given by the Transport office had mis-information on it. There were two figures given for fees for a motorbiike; 255 baht OR +100 baht for a smart card. By the time I got to the window, there was no more 'OR' allowed. Now you have to pay 355 baht. I specifically asked if I could get the license without the smart card but was told that now it's required.

• Like 2

re

I didn't keep my copy of this paper or I would have scanned it into this post for you.

here ya go :)

but this was for a 5 year to 5 year three months ago !

1 year to 5 year requirements could be different ?

dave2

ps ... i had to sit through the one hour video :(

two weeks later people reported turning up at 3 pm and being out by 4 with no video needed ! ... go figure :(

post-42592-0-68179700-1410489814_thumb.j

Je me suis trompe! DEVINEZ SES Anciennes Règles Où Vous aviez Besoin de Complété Une année sur Entière non Permis probatoire de 1 une Avant D'Obtenir Les 5 ans.

With all due respect blah blah blah this is wrong.

I just got my renewal 1 year for 5 years this week. My license one year expired in October 6.

My new license start of my next anniversary 5 year more. As I was a born August 30 my new licence is available as August 30 - 2020!!!

Edited by Hisseho

re

I didn't keep my copy of this paper or I would have scanned it into this post for you.

here ya go smile.png

but this was for a 5 year to 5 year three months ago !

1 year to 5 year requirements could be different ?

dave2

ps ... i had to sit through the one hour video sad.png

two weeks later people reported turning up at 3 pm and being out by 4 with no video needed ! ... go figure sad.png

Same paper as I had, but with the following changes;

There was nothing on my paper about taking the eye exam, reaction test, or training

The 90-day expiration was changed to 60 days

There was a notation about getting Residence Certificate across from Promenada *

There was no 'open' or reporting times stated.

* Let me add one other point. I had a Residence certificate that I got from my condo office. I was able to use that at Immigration to renew my visa. I was NOT permitted to use that to renew my drivers license! I had to get the one from either Immigration or my Consulate. At Immigration across from Promenada I was NOT given the option of waiting two weeks for a free copy. I was required to pay the 500 baht and come back the next day. They had pre-printed slips made out just for that purpose.