B10m Phuket dive boat catches fire, sinks

webfact

B10m Phuket dive boat catches fire, sinks
Saran Mitrarat

1410490558_1-org.jpg
The Choksomboon 15 burned to the waterline before sinking.

PHUKET: -- A dive boat burned and sank early this morning in Chalong Bay.

Marine police were called to Chalong Pier at 2am to help put out the blaze on the boat, the Choksomboon 15, belonging to Andaman Ocean Safari.

Lt Col Chatchai Sakdee said the boat, moored about 150 metres from shore, was constructed of wood and contained a lot of combustible items.

After two hours of fighting the flames, the Marine Police were getting nowhere, so they decided to tow the burning boat another 200 metres away from shore, where it sank.

The only person on board when the fire broke out was a Burmese crewman, who leapt overboard and was picked up uninjured.

Marine police believe a short-circuit in the engine room cause the fire.

The dive boat, estimated value B10 million, was a total loss.

This is the second boat fire in three days. On Tuesday a tuna boat caught fire at the fishing port in Koh Sirey. Firemen, unable to get to the fire in the engine room, had no choise but to sink it.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/b10m-phuket-dive-boat-catches-fire-sinks-48685.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-09-12

Do these commercial vessels get routine safety inspections, By qualified marine inspectors.Seems to be too many fires.

Yes. In fact the marine police were at the pier at least twice that I know of inspecting boats in the last two weeks,including, I believe, this one.

Like most instructors here, I have been on this boat countless times. Sad to see. I feel bad for David, the owner. In many ways AOS was one of the better companies in my opinion.

AOS-boat-2.jpg

Was the boat insured? Seems crazy not to insure an asset like this so hopefully it was and the business can regroup and carry on.

I'm sure the boat was insured, and I'm also sure the boat was not insured for the total value.