85 percent of political protest-affected people recover - Thai Public Health

webfact

85% of political protest-affected people recover

BANGKOK, 12 September 2014 (NNT) - The Ministry of Public Health has rehabilitated 473 people who were affected by political protests. 85% of them can now live a normal life but 28 other are under surveillance. Public health officers have been sent to continue rehabilitating them.

Deputy Director-General of the Department of Mental Health MD Phanphimon Wipulakorn on Friday announced the results of the ministry’s rehabilitation for political protest-affected people nationwide over the past four months.

She said 13% of them still suffered from stress and some of them were diagnosed with depression, partly due to economic problems and their disabilities.

The ministry would conclude the rehabilitation project on 15 September but would continue following up on the affected people until their mental health improved, the official said.

MD Phanphimon added that the all units should work together in reforming the country in order to reduce conflicts and create a happier society.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-09-12 footer_n.gif

BANGKOK, 12 September 2014 (NNT) - The Ministry of Public Health has rehabilitated 473 people who were affected by political protests. 85% of them can now live a normal life but 28 other are under surveillance. Public health officers have been sent to continue rehabilitating them.

Deputy Director-General of the Department of Mental Health MD Phanphimon Wipulakorn on Friday announced the results of the ministry’s rehabilitation for political protest-affected people nationwide over the past four months.

She said 13% of them still suffered from stress and some of them were diagnosed with depression, partly due to economic problems and their disabilities.

The ministry would conclude the rehabilitation project on 15 September but would continue following up on the affected people until their mental health improved, the official said.

MD Phanphimon added that the all units should work together in reforming the country in order to reduce conflicts and create a happier society.

nntlogo.jpg

The protests bankrupted two of my friends' businesses, and dealt a possibly mortal blow to two more. What is needed is not "mental health rehabilitation", but for Suthep to pay compensation for all of the business they lost.

Sent from my IS11T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

nntlogo.jpg

The protests bankrupted two of my friends' businesses, and dealt a possibly mortal blow to two more. What is needed is not "mental health rehabilitation", but for Suthep to pay compensation for all of the business they lost.

I strongly disagree with your last statement.

Mental health certainly needs addressing in this land. There are very few facilities offered to cope with mental health issues (as that's considered a loss of face for family and friends here, if one has mental difficulties). Rehab facilities, and even institutions for the mentally disturbed, are a large missing factor in this 'collectivist' society (alledged collectivist society, that is!).

Treat, give drugs like prednisolone (or antibiotics even), and on your way - you'll be fine - you can collect plastic bottles and cardboard for the rest of your life, cos you're depressed and a ruddy disgrace to your family - on your way now. bah.gif

NO!

Mental health issues do need seriously addressing here in TH, because they have been largely ignored, and are even chastised in TV soaps.... ghost riddled people... for centuries until this very day!

It IS time somethings were done to offer rehab, or care facilities. Time for Thais to realise not all people are mentally stable!

Edited by DrLom
  • Like 1

I think we need to put this one through the translator too, as per SOP. Problem is we will all come up with something different.

To help settle my mind, the translation is that the Ministry of Public Health was treating 473+28=501 people for mental health issues that came about as a result of the political protests. 473 people have improved to the point where they no longer need the services, but 15% of them have lingering issues. The special program that was set up to deal with this is now officially closing down, but the remaining 28 patients will be able to avail themselves of other Ministry of Public Health services until they, too, improve.

Forget about the numbers, don't try to understand that. 28 is not 15% of 473 nor is it 15% of 501 which is 473+28. Literally reading it, it makes it sound like 473 people are "rehabilitated" but 71, or 15% of them, can't lead normal lives (so what does that mean?). An additional 28 are under "surveillance" because they haven't been "rehabilitated" . But who knows.

For good measure, the doctor at the end gave a general plea for people to get their act together. He needs his time for his whiskey, karaoke, and women!

• Like 1

..........There are very few facilities offered to cope with mental health issues ........

I'm sure there is a temple in every village in Thailand.

[That's the place people send their relatives with mental illnesses in order not to lose face]

My son is a Monk - wai.gifwai.gifwai.gif - not a nutter whistling.gif .

..........There are very few facilities offered to cope with mental health issues ........

I'm sure there is a temple in every village in Thailand.

[That's the place people send their relatives with mental illnesses in order not to lose face]

My son is a Monk - wai.gifwai.gifwai.gif - not a nutter whistling.gif .

I'm sure he's philosophically qualified... psychiatrically? I doubt that very much... wai.gifwhistling.gif

• Like 1

Deputy Director-General of the Department of Mental Health MD Phanphimon Wipulakorn on Friday announced the results of the ministrys rehabilitation for political protest-affected people nationwide over the past four months.

nntlogo.jpg

Mental health certainly needs addressing in this land. There are very few facilities offered to cope with mental health issues (as that's considered a loss of face for family and friends here, if one has mental difficulties). Rehab facilities, and even institutions for the mentally disturbed, are a large missing factor in this 'collectivist' society (alledged collectivist society, that is!).

Treat, give drugs like prednisolone (or antibiotics even), and on your way - you'll be fine - you can collect plastic bottles and cardboard for the rest of your life, cos you're depressed and a ruddy disgrace to your family - on your way now. bah.gif

NO!

Mental health issues do need seriously addressing here in TH, because they have been largely ignored, and are even chastised in TV soaps.... ghost riddled people... for centuries until this very day!

It IS time somethings were done to offer rehab, or care facilities. Time for Thais to realise not all people are mentally stable!

Glad to see you consider political protest to be a mental illness. <deleted>????

This report really does show how truly bizarre Thailand can be.

They rehabilitated people out of political protest. How very 1984.

Having your attitudes adjusted can be very painful and traumatic, apparently.

If this story hit the press about North Korea no one would be surprised would they. But they honestly stated that they have rehabilitated people out of the desire to protest.

How did they do this? Waterboard? Electric shock? Or self help group?

nntlogo.jpg

That will never happen. Suthep's protests only helped all Thai people, they did not stop businesses or elections (they just changed how wealth is redistributed). Now everyone is happy, just check the polls. I know seventy-nine and a half (one midget) people who had their businesses close in Bangkok because they had no cash reserves, and they are all happy to be hungry and poor because now the evil ear-wax guzzling camel herding part time golf caddies on skype are no longer puppet masters to the power brokers in Thailand, and all seventy-nine will happily die and watch their children starve because reconciliation is for the greater good. Sadly,the midget is undecided, and I am recommending a weekend holiday trip to an Army camp to have her attitude adjusted (humanely of course). Many, many Thais are happy to be oppressed as long as at least ten Thai people (especially if they live in Bangkok) are happy! Everyone knows that. It's a celebration of self sacrifice altogether. No one really wanted to vote -- that was just something to do on boring holidays. Geez, I wonder if any of you understand Thainess at all....

Now, where is that Blue Diamond? We put it somewhere....

Edited by FangFerang
  • Like 1

nntlogo.jpg

What about The Reds Thaksin who caused all this in the first place. Say he did not cause this? Well he stole the money disrupted the country and turned Thai against thai. (It is their land not ours). Now there is NONE of the crap that was going on for years under the Red Government and it is NOT all Military <artial law stopping it. the country is getting back to NORMAl and people again live sliling at each other.

Look at your own mates not Suthep. yes he may not be very nice either but don't blame on man for changing the country for what is obviously now a better place. Look at the bunch of rogues that tried to destroy it before.

• Like 1

473? What about the 1000s who lost their jobs because of the collapse of the tourism industry? Or the countless who could not get to work day in and day out?

And how about the innocent people who died?

No matter, once election collection ever takes place again, everybody will be mentally ill

nntlogo.jpg

Bankrupted my business too. Had to lay off myself, my partner and some 7 full time Thai staff and 2 part time. The ironic thing was, the staff were taking time off to join in the protests and when we had to shut shop so to speak they were blaming us! Such is life ay?

nntlogo.jpg

NO!

Dr Lom is my new hero -- and I would add a comment -- the stigma of having a mental disorder is prevalent in the West too -- having pneumonia is fine, but a neurosis...quick, lock them in a room so the neighbors don't talk.

nntlogo.jpg

NO!

I was not saying that Thailand doesn't need a better mental health system. I have no experience with the mental health system, but I have seen the shambles that much of the rest of the system is in, so I can believe what you wrote.

My point was that people should look at the cause of these "mental health issues", not just write off everyone that got upset because of the protests as "mentally ill".

My friends who went out of business because of the protests need compensation, not rehabilitation.

nntlogo.jpg

Bankrupted my business too. Had to lay off myself, my partner and some 7 full time Thai staff and 2 part time. The ironic thing was, the staff were taking time off to join in the protests and when we had to shut shop so to speak they were blaming us! Such is life ay?

Som nam na! (for the staff that skipped work to join the protests, not for you).

nntlogo.jpg

Som nam na! (for the staff that skipped work to join the protests, not for you).

Indeed! The irony totally escaped them. Now 6 months down the line I can look back on and smile about it. I'm not returning until democracy returns though which I'm sure it will soon enough