Iron or B12 Aneima?

matt111

It will be a number of weeks before I can return to get more specific tests however I have my CBC labs results in the meantime:

WBC 8350

Hb 14.8

Hct 42

RBC Count 4.64 L

MCV 89.7

MCH 31.9 H

MCGC 35.6

RDW 11.8

Platelet Count 169k (in referencce range but low?)

PMN;Neuotrphil 61

Lymphocyte 35 (on border)

RBC Morph Normal

So its look like simple anemia to me at this stage, and this tallys with fatigue / procrastination / brain fog, easy bruising (looking at several at the moment), and a few other symptoms (raging body temperature after drinking - never a problem before - note liver levels are comfortably within range). However until I get Iron and B12 tested Im unsure which one it is likely to be? Id like to alter my diet asap and and add supplements, is there anything I can infer from the above before my next visit as to which vitamin(s) Im deficient in? Male/early 30s. I suspect but cant be sure this has been bought on by either parasites, food poisoning a few years ago, or possibly years of drinking than I should, or perhaps all three

Your hemoglobin level is normal as is your RBC count (I don't know what the reference range was for the lab you used, but normally for men it is 4.32-5.72 million. I have never seen a reference range that would consider 4.62 low).

The MCH is also within what is usually considered the normal range. (usually 27 - 33). In any case, even if it was a little low, that has no clinical significance in the face of a normal hemoglobin and normal MCV.

You are not at all anemic.

In terms of your symptoms, I would suggest getting a full thyroid panel and checking your testosterone levels.

You are definitely not deficient in iron with these CBC results. It is worth checking still your B12 level though as even without anemia, mild B12 deficiency may cause some of what you describe.

• Like 1

Sheryl,

Thanks. That's good to know, as just lab results I had no real guidance than L/H markers and Google. The lab marked the reference range on the sheet as 4.7-6.10 for RBC, and MCH 26.5 - 31.2 then annotated them with L and H respectively, perhaps they choose the wrong range for male/31?

I will get T3, T4, and testosterone, B12 levels measured in a few weeks, so I guess I can stop looking for supplements in meantime.

Yes. But do eat a balanced diet. And if you drink a lot, think about addressing that.

If you drink often and/or a lot, and/or if you do not eat a very healthy diet, a good B complex supplement may help.

Lastly make sure you are adequately hydrated. It is easy for fluid and electrolytes to get out of whack in Thailand.