Sa Kaew hospital campaign steeply reduces teen pregnancies

webfact

Aw shucks guys, the parents can't do it. They are steeped in conservatism and welled up with hangups. This applies to my home country as well.

Sexually active and curious youngsters need a neutral non judgmental third party for support and to hand out contraceptives and to give advice confidentially. If it's not confidential it won't work and they will be doing it anyway because it feels so good.

The key in my personal experience was confidentiality. Yes, we are having sex, now what have we got to do to do it properly? I needed a trusted third party, the nurse. Deny the adolescents this and they'll just do it anway.

We've got an infant here in the village from a 13 y/o... The young mommy was too shy to ask her parents and there was no confidential school nurse.

Edited by 96tehtarp

how uneducated parents, teachers or relatives can educated thai kids who never get any education in their life,

their can not produce any logical thinking since they are born because never teached, and then they should understand

such a complex matter like safer sex, pegnancy, relations ships, responsibility something what no thai ever learnt or even know what it is or eman, is the basic for sexual education

Aw shucks guys, the parents can't do it. They are steeped in conservatism and welled up with hangups. This applies to my home country as well.

Sexually active and curious youngsters need a neutral non judgmental third party for support and to hand out contraceptives and to give advice confidentially. If it's not confidential it won't work and they will be doing it anyway because it feels so good.

The key in my personal experience was confidentiality. Yes, we are having sex, now what have we got to do to do it properly? I needed a trusted third party, the nurse. Deny the adolescents this and they'll just do it anway.

We've got an infant here in the village from a 13 y/o... The young mommy was too shy to ask her parents and there was no confidential school nurse.

you believe also in Santa Claus or?

the publicity is completly false advertising ... a young thai man holding a baby / responsability ? they just run like hell and start all over with another girl if they impregnate one , that is real life

you see.....this is the idea of an ad campaign....it is to make them think and change attitudes.....it works took.......the papers you read have formed your jaundiced opinions!

-- I doubt the campaign has been around long enough to take credit for the so called "reduction in teenage pregnancies". Something that concerns me in Thai society is the lack of parenting skills to teach their children morals and a decent value system.

good news and the first right steps but what about the ultimate "contraseptive"?

make the boys/ man accountable for their offsprings and make them pay child care.i think this would solve the problem.

I agree......

This has been a problem for many years in the LOS. Great post.... and generally some farang comes along, marries the woman, takes care of the child, but the father is never any where to be found....... Just a thought.

clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif kilosierra

How does ONE hospital's campaign translate to `Campaign to reduce teen pregnancies in Thailand is huge success'?

And then: `The Act, currently in a draft form, would promote teenage girls learning more about sexuality...'

Takes two to tango. What about the boys?

Simple tools that aren't rocket science:

Education in schools, awareness and access to birth control options such as the pill, IUDs, depo-provera (latter two's protection is unrivaled as teenagers prone to forget taking pill, condoms break), legalization of abortion pills to avoid high cost, health risk of underground abortions; pro-choice instead of banning abortions.

Thailand's head-in-sand approach to reality is the root of the problem, as it is in so many other areas.

Not to worry------ this new piece of "education"---Quote--" will allow pupils to carry on their studies WHILE PREGNANT" !!!!!!

• Like 1

So every foreigner in Thailand seems to reckon that it will be good for Thailand if the number of teen pregnancies drops towards zero.

Okay, for a start, Thailand's birth-rate is actually lower than Britain and France. Also, Burma's birth-rate is higher than Thailand's. Reducing Thailand's birth-rate will mean that Burma will over-take Thailand's population size eventually. This is the last thing that Thailand actually wants.

And that girl in the advert on the OP. She's too young to be pregnant, the man who got her pregnant should be done for child-abuse.

So every foreigner in Thailand seems to reckon that it will be good for Thailand if the number of teen pregnancies drops towards zero.

Okay, for a start, Thailand's birth-rate is actually lower than Britain and France. Also, Burma's birth-rate is higher than Thailand's. Reducing Thailand's birth-rate will mean that Burma will over-take Thailand's population size eventually. This is the last thing that Thailand actually wants.

And that girl in the advert on the OP. She's too young to be pregnant, the man who got her pregnant should be done for child-abuse.

the OP is about TEEN pregnancies

about 10 years ago I was teaching in a vocational college for girls in Bangkok. We regularly lost about 5-6 girls per class per year to pregnancy, often after either Valentines day or (ironically) father's day celebrations involving lots of alcohol.

I lay part of the blame at the feet of a society which at 8:15 every night serves up a smorgasbord of rape and violence against women as a form of entertainment, and allows drunkenness and/or societal position as an acceptable excuse to avoid responsibility for your actions.

I'm not so sure that this is the "cause" as that both of them are symptoms of a similar cause. Either way, I'd agree that there's a connection.

about 10 years ago I was teaching in a vocational college for girls in Bangkok. We regularly lost about 5-6 girls per class per year to pregnancy, often after either Valentines day or (ironically) father's day celebrations involving lots of alcohol.

I lay part of the blame at the feet of a society which at 8:15 every night serves up a smorgasbord of rape and violence against women as a form of entertainment, and allows drunkenness and/or societal position as an acceptable excuse to avoid responsibility for your actions.

I'm not so sure that this is the "cause" as that both of them are symptoms of a similar cause. Either way, I'd agree that there's a connection.

Fair point!

Sorry for this late reply.

Teen pregnancies surely represent at least a small percentage of Thailand's births. There's people who drink in bars who constantly go on about how lots of Thailand's births are actually done by girls in their teens. Surely, reducing the teenage pregnancies towards zero IS going to reduce the number of babies born ?

And what percentage of babies born in Britain are from mums in their teens ??

I really do think that most people simply don't realise that negative population growth is actually a problem, if it comes. Look at Japan. It's suppose to be, that one of the reasons driving their (over) two decades of reccession is actually a very low birth-rate and too many old people collecting their pensions (state pensions are paid out using tax that has been paid by TODAYS workers).

Sorry for this late reply.

Teen pregnancies surely represent at least a small percentage of Thailand's births. There's people who drink in bars who constantly go on about how lots of Thailand's births are actually done by girls in their teens. Surely, reducing the teenage pregnancies towards zero IS going to reduce the number of babies born ?

And what percentage of babies born in Britain are from mums in their teens ??

I really do think that most people simply don't realise that negative population growth is actually a problem, if it comes. Look at Japan. It's suppose to be, that one of the reasons driving their (over) two decades of reccession is actually a very low birth-rate and too many old people collecting their pensions (state pensions are paid out using tax that has been paid by TODAYS workers).

Good to see that you get your facts from people who drink in bars.

As far as your agenda (which has nothing to do with unplanned teen births, which actually hurt the economy), I really do think that most people simply don't realize that relying on a system that only survives with an ever-expanding economy, ever-expanding resource use, and ever-expanding population is actually a problem.

The thing is, Thailand as a country is not expanding. Nor is the world's available land mass expanding. Nor are Thailand's non-renewable resources expanding. Nor are the world's non-renewable resources expanding.

If you're really relying on every population on Earth expanding faster and faster, then you're playing with the world's biggest pyramid scheme. Probably should start looking for a new game.

Edited by Bangkok Herps
  • Like 1

Hello Bangkok herps.

Yes, ever increasing use of natural resources will mean that the natural resources will end up being totally used and finished quicker. But, every nation demands or wants economic growth. No nation actually wants to have zero economic growth, zero economic growth is actually a recession.

And yes, pro-longed recession will probably cause widespread civil dis-order and rioting.

Thailand's birth-rate IS actually lower than Britains, that's from the CIA factbook. Teenage girls giving birth in Thailand, is the rate higher than Britain's rate ? I think it is, I'm not sure, seems like a few guys I know go on about how the Thai girlfriend's teenage daughter is pregnant.
I do think that if you remove all births from teenage girls in Britain, well yes, Britain will go into negative population growth. I'm just trying to say, that I don't think negative population growth is a good thing.

Can I make you laugh by saying that if negative population growth does happen, and it usually carries(continues) on once a country goes into negative population growth, well, eventually, there won't be anybody in that country. Negative population growth appears to be spreading. Is it good to have a world, where one day, there will be hardly anybody left here ?
Imagine being the last person on planet earth, knowing that Man was driven to extinction by massive use of contraceptives ??

Yes, perhaps population growth will sink so much that one day there will be no one will be left. And perhaps it will rise so much that one day we will all be defecating on each other's heads. I hope you realize that both suggestions are equally absurd.

So, what are we actually closer to - having too many people on the planet, or too few?

If everyone lived at the standard of living of the average Brit, then the carrying capacity of Earth would be about 1.5 billion people. But if you take out the poor and lower/working-class, and everyone lived at the standard of living of the middle-class and higher Brits, then the carrying capacity of the world would only be 1 billion people.

Since we are at 7 billion people right now, and every nation on Earth is rushing to improve its standard of living more more more and use more and more material resources, I would suggest that we are far closer to having far too many people than we are to having far too few. Even at current standards of living, we are overloading the sustainable carrying capacity of Earth by about 30% (in other words, we are only managing because we are depleting natural resources faster than they can be replenished at a ridiculous rate).

Even now population numbers worldwide are so skewed towards youth that even if we all dropped to negative population growth trends, it would be decades before the population actually started dropping and hundreds of years before it can down to that 1-1.5 billion person sustainable level.

If your only answer to this is "more population growth, for everyone, forever", then I have no idea what your endgame is.

And, as I mentioned before, regardless of your position on this, it is ridiculously silly to believe that having babies born to unwed teenage mothers is somehow going to help out the economy.