Ranong Port could be viable pathway to the West

webfact

RANONG PORT
Ranong Port could be viable pathway to the West

Sasithorn Ongdee
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- As it is not in the same league as the pending mega-investment in the Dawei deep-sea port project in Myanmar, Ranong Port will have no chance to pursue its dream of becoming Asia's pathway to the West without strong commitment by the government in collaboration with the private sector.

However, the Port Authority of Thailand (PAT) is taking advantage of the approaching Asean Economic Community in its quest to make Ranong Port a pathway to Myanmar and also the Bimstec group and the Middle East, or even to Europe.

Apart from Thailand, the Bimstec (the Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation) group includes Bangladesh, India, Myanmar, Sri Lanka, Bhutan and Nepal.

The port has a capacity of handling up to 40,000 containers (twenty-foot equivalent units) a year after being expanded in its second phase in 2006, but it has yet to be utilised at full capacity. It is considered a deep-sea port, serving Ranong province's strategic plan to become a hub of sea transport on the Andaman coast.

Surapong Rongsirikul, deputy director-general of asset management and business development at PAT, tested the waters by asking 200 people engaged in imports and exports at a dinner talk on "Ranong Port, Pathway to Myanmar" last Wednesday night whether the port should be a "free zone".

PAT had commissioned Thammasat University to study the feasibility of developing a distribution centre on 15 rai (2.4 hectares) of land at Bangkok Port to help exporters and freight forwarders. The centre might include a dry port or duty-free zone or both. Those who wanted to ship products from Ranong Port could complete customs procedures at the dry port without needing to do so again at Ranong.

The point is that Myanmar, which is still a developing country whose exports enjoy tariff privileges under the European Union's Generalised System of Privileges, has yet to use those rights to full capacity. Meanwhile, Thailand has recently been classified as an upper-middle-income country and will lose its GSP privileges by the end of this year.

Surapong said Ranong Port was still small, and strategically what it needed was to focus on niche markets. Target groups should be those conducting import and export transactions with Myanmar and those dealing in heavy products such as cement, sugar, steel and fertilisers.

"The weak point is that the port is pretty small and far away from production bases [mostly located in the Central region], but the strong point is that it's near Myanmar."

He said a number of used cars were being imported from Japan into Laem Chabang Port in Chon Buri for re-export to Myanmar. If these vehicles were shipped from Ranong Port, it would save exporters about six days of shipping time, compared with Laem Chabang's 10 days.

Furthermore, if Ranong Port were a "free zone", it could be a production base for Myanmar, especially in the seafood industry. Those finished products, which would be mostly made from raw materials imported from Myanmar, would be exported back to Myanmar for distribution to countries in the West. There are an estimated 20-30 frozen-seafood producers in Ranong province and its surrounding areas.

The port is already in the registration process for upgrading its 1,500-square-metre warehouse to a bonded (duty-free) warehouse.

Logistics experts said Ranong Port had high potential to achieve its goals.

"As one of the key drivers to its success, shipping-line operators could profit from mooring at the terminal," said Paiboon Ponsuwanna, adviser to the Thai National Shippers Council.

He noted that while Singapore and Hong Kong battled each other to be regional hubs of waterway transport, Malaysia was able to lure a number of the world's top shipping lines to its Tanjung Pelepas Port.

Another factor is the Thai government's policy on whether it only wants to use Ranong to export oil and import gas. If it wants more than that, the port's next expansion phase should be completed, and the government should construct a four-lane highway from Bangkok to the port as well as proceed with railway double-tracking, he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/Ranong-Port-could-be-viable-pathway-to-30243254.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-09-15

• Like 1

I've been down that way and had a look at the Port. The road from Ranong encountered some steep hills that would tax the oft overloaded trucks to their limits.

It's a ghost town when you get down to the Port.

• Like 1

I've been down that way and had a look at the Port. The road from Ranong encountered some steep hills that would tax the oft overloaded trucks to their limits.

It's a ghost town when you get down to the Port.

Maybe an early opportunity in the ghost town to get a worthwhile venture started before the last minute charge-----maybe very low priced unit for rental now ???

• Like 1

I think this has to put into the same pot as the access of China to the Andaman Sea. Seems a bit silly to do two as

separate projects. The scope of the plan is such that the significant amount of money that is available, if the two are

considered together, make a lot of possibilities available. I think more returns than a high speed train from the NE;

Ranong might still have a chance against Dawei

"The mammoth Dawei deep-sea port project would also be on the agenda but any substantial progress would rest on the interest of foreign investors and the project's much needed transparency. Myanmar's main focus has always been on the Thilawa Port, which receives Japan's full financial support."

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/760442-the-prayuth-governments-strategic-dilemmas-opinion/#entry8387618

Ranong province is the least populated province in Thailand. Lots of space available for factoriesand ware houses. Cheap labour from Myanmar.

Go ahead, cooperate with Myanmar on the project. Everything can be done. A double train line from BKK to Ranong, yes, why not ?

Ask Singaporeans or Chinese how to do big projects in an effective way. Make sure to avoid corruption to cut cost in half.

"The mammoth Dawei deep-sea port project would also be on the agenda but any substantial progress would rest on the interest of foreign investors and the project's much needed transparency. Myanmar's main focus has always been on the Thilawa Port, which receives Japan's full financial support."

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/760442-the-prayuth-governments-strategic-dilemmas-opinion/#entry8387618

OK why would Ranong still have a chance because Thilawa Port is supposedly Myanmars main focus?

The junta are proposing a high speed freight railway to Map Ta Phut. This freight will then need to be taken by road/rail to Ranong where it is loaded on a ship that then sails 500 kms, past Dawei on the way up to Thilawa?

Am I missing something?

p.s not to mention that as well as a deep water port at Dawei, it would also have a large heavy Industrial Zone where abhisit, who penned the original deal back in 2010, hoped to export the problems of Map Ta Phut

The decision to invest in the Burmese port comes as Thailand looks to diversify from heavy industry on its own soil. Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva has said the country needs to focus on its strengths in the farm and tourism sectors. “As for heavy industry, I don’t think the people want it in their backyard,” he recently told the Bangkok Post.

https://www.dvb.no/news/thai-giant-closing-in-on-burma-port-deal/12162

Edited by fab4

OK why would Ranong still have a chance because Thilawa Port is supposedly Myanmars main focus?

The junta are proposing a high speed freight railway to Map Ta Phut. This freight will then need to be taken by road/rail to Ranong where it is loaded on a ship that then sails 500 kms, past Dawei on the way up to Thilawa?

Am I missing something?

A spur from the main rail link to the south ??? Better than a bullet train to Chiang Mai just for Shin family members--as I remember.--now scrapped thank heavens.

Am I missing something?

A spur from the main rail link to the south ??? Better than a bullet train to Chiang Mai just for Shin family members--as I remember.--now scrapped thank heavens.

I'll ignore your unnecessary and inaccurate dig at the Shinawatra family, but a spur off the main link to the south? What is the point of having a high speed freight rail to Map Ta Phut and then transferring freight to a normal speed rail link to Ranong? As I said it then has to be shipped from Ranong to Thilawa bypassing Dawei. I just can't see the advantage of Ranong being developed.

Ranong province is the least populated province in Thailand. Lots of space available for factoriesand ware houses. Cheap labour from Myanmar.

Go ahead, cooperate with Myanmar on the project. Everything can be done. A double train line from BKK to Ranong, yes, why not ?

Ask Singaporeans or Chinese how to do big projects in an effective way. Make sure to avoid corruption to cut cost in half.

Quite right.....get these infrastrucure ventures done in Thailand.....!

F#$@ Thaksins Dewei pet project......Thailand can do these things in Thailand...

Am I missing something?

p.s not to mention that as well as a deep water port at Dawei, it would also have a large heavy Industrial Zone where abhisit, who penned the original deal back in 2010, hoped to export the problems of Map Ta Phut

The decision to invest in the Burmese port comes as Thailand looks to diversify from heavy industry on its own soil. Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva has said the country needs to focus on its strengths in the farm and tourism sectors. “As for heavy industry, I don’t think the people want it in their backyard,” he recently told the Bangkok Post.

https://www.dvb.no/news/thai-giant-closing-in-on-burma-port-deal/12162

Well, it would seem Ranong has as much chance as the Dawei port which you tried to sell me yesterday.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/760230-nla-targets-bt17-billion-reduction/#entry8385571

Am I missing something?

I'll ignore your unnecessary and inaccurate dig at the Shinawatra family, but a spur off the main link to the south? What is the point of having a high speed freight rail to Map Ta Phut and then transferring freight to a normal speed rail link to Ranong? As I said it then has to be shipped from Ranong to Thilawa bypassing Dawei. I just can't see the advantage of Ranong being developed.

Neither can we see reason for Dawei being developed even though it was Thaksin/Yingluck's pet project. Note though the Yingluck government was only very vocal in support, and trying to get private investment, the current government hasn't said much apart from 'yeah, we continue in same style (for now)'.

First get rid of corruption within the customs, after that, start using brain (if they have) and dig the canal between the bay and the Andaman sea .

That canal would make billions for Thailand but even more important it would take Singapore out of business.

So every new government brings up the idea of the canal since the last 30 years and than they get silent over it very quickly.........

So I guess Sing always pays a fee....

Make a canal at the best place make Malaysia and Myanmar share owner and build a high speed train line from the port to Malaysia and Myanmar. So everything that can be distributed direct and cheaply. With a large tax free economical zone Thailand would get rich only on this idea.....

Am I missing something?

5555555555555555555 so you never make them?? 5555 You never have High speed freight-----what are you talking about ? If the track is the same width you can run trains as per UK---inter city express and freight. there are pro's and cons about the development.

Coming back to the DIG re Shins, it was a glaring example of mega billions of baht being spent, when air travel is as cheap and 10 times quicker, my DIG at the Shins was apt. Thaksin PTP stupid thoughts

Edited by ginjag

Neither can we see reason for Dawei being developed even though it was Thaksin/Yingluck's pet project. Note though the Yingluck government was only very vocal in support, and trying to get private investment, the current government hasn't said much apart from 'yeah, we continue in same style (for now)'.

Who's we? Are you just arguing because it's a fab4 post? A Thaksin / Yingluck pet project? Remind me again who made the agreement with Premier Thein Sein over the development of Dawei Port and why?

On 11 October, the Bangkok Post published a revealing interview with Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva. Thailand, Abhisit said, needed to diversify its development strategy and stop relying so much on heavy industry. “I don’t think the people want it in their backyard,” he explained. In light of Map Ta Phut, Abhisit’s comments make perfect sense.

But the interview was timely. The very same day, the Thai premier paid a one-day visit to Burma. He made a courtesy call on Senior General Than Shwe – with whom he was pictured shaking hands and looking notably uncomfortable – and discussed business with premier Thein Sein. On one key issue, the reopening of the border at Mae Sot, Abhisit failed to deliver. But on another, far more important front, Abhisit’s visit was a victory. The deep-sea port at Dawei, it was agreed, would be developed as a new industrial zone.

https://www.dvb.no/analysis/not-in-my-backyard/12359

I still haven't seen any rational argument from you on why Ranong should be developed as a "pathway to the west" or even explanation on how the junta high speed railway link to Map Ta Phut makes sense if Ranong is to be developed.

There doesn't appear to be much joined up thinking by either of you.

F#$@ Thaksins Dewei pet project......Thailand can do these things in Thailand...

Ahem, abhisit was the PM that agreed with Burma to jointly develop Dawei Port, but never mind.

There is already a railway line from Chumpon running down the west coast, but I think it is freight only.

Who's we? Are you just arguing because it's a fab4 post? A Thaksin / Yingluck pet project? Remind me again who made the agreement with Premier Thein Sein over the development of Dawei Port and why?

On 11 October, the Bangkok Post published a revealing interview with Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva. Thailand, Abhisit said, needed to diversify its development strategy and stop relying so much on heavy industry. “I don’t think the people want it in their backyard,” he explained. In light of Map Ta Phut, Abhisit’s comments make perfect sense.

But the interview was timely. The very same day, the Thai premier paid a one-day visit to Burma. He made a courtesy call on Senior General Than Shwe – with whom he was pictured shaking hands and looking notably uncomfortable – and discussed business with premier Thein Sein. On one key issue, the reopening of the border at Mae Sot, Abhisit failed to deliver. But on another, far more important front, Abhisit’s visit was a victory. The deep-sea port at Dawei, it was agreed, would be developed as a new industrial zone.

https://www.dvb.no/analysis/not-in-my-backyard/12359

I still haven't seen any rational argument from you on why Ranong should be developed as a "pathway to the west" or even explanation on how the junta high speed railway link to Map Ta Phut makes sense if Ranong is to be developed.

There doesn't appear to be much joined up thinking by either of you.

Obtuse and obdurate.

I also wrote

"Well, it would seem Ranong has as much chance as the Dawei port which you tried to sell me yesterday."

and before "Ranong might still have a chance against Dawei"

With quotes from the OP

BTW

"Government of the Kingdom of Thailand and the Government of the Union of Myanmar signed the Memorandum of Understanding ( MOU ) on May 19th, 2008 to develop a deep sea port in Dawei and a connecting road link to Bangkok, Italian-Thai Development Public Company Limited ( ITD ), the project feasibility and engineering design are on the due process toward implementing the project effectively."

http://www.daweidevelopment.com/index.php/en/about-ddc/introduction

That was under the late PM Samak. Still looking for even older clues. smile.png

Ahem, abhisit was the PM that agreed with Burma to jointly develop Dawei Port, but never mind.

Ahem, Samak was the PM who agreed with Myanmar to a feasibility study.

BTW not really important, but you're supposed to write first names starting with a Capital Letter. Also I vaguely remember from my English classes that is should be "PM who" rather than "PM that"

Cheers,

uncle Rubl

Edited by rubl

True, true, no need to mention the real high-speed link to ChiangMai.

In relation to ports though

2011-12-20

"Ousted premier Thaksin Shinawatra confirmed yesterday he travelled to Burma last week to help smooth the way for his sister, Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, to visit and said the move would benefit Thailand."

http://daweiproject.blogspot.com/2011/12/thaksin-behind-pms-burma-trip.html

Just to put things in the correct timeline, that was about a week after someone in the MoFA finally confirmed that from flooded offices a new passport had been issued and following delivered to some Thai person.

Ahem, Samak was the PM who agreed with Myanmar to a feasibility study.

BTW not really important, but you're supposed to write first names starting with a Capital Letter. Also I vaguely remember from my English classes that is should be "PM who" rather than "PM that"

Cheers,

uncle Rubl

Well if you're trying to be clever and suggest my use of the relative pronoun is wrong you really ought to make sure your ducks are in a line, so to speak.

Ahem, Samak was the PM who agreed with Myanmar to a feasibility study. should really be written as

Ahem, Samak was the PM who agreed with Myanmar that a feasibility study will/would/should be started/implemented (pick your own verb/s and tense)

or in a shortened form but still correct

Ahem, Samak was the PM who agreed to a feasibility study with Myanmar

Be that as it may, History doesn't remember who agreed feasibility studies, it's the guy who put's "pen to paper" to sign off on the deed. Do you remember who it was that agreed the feasibility study for the American Declaration of Independence? No? See what I mean.

FYI Relative Clauses in the English Language Rule 3:

who is used only with its antecedent referring to a person ("The man who ..."); which, referring to a thing ("The flowers which ..."); that, referring to either a person or thing ("The woman that ...", or "The flowers that ...").

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_relative_clauses#Status_of_that

I enjoy that drive between Chumphon and Ranong, traversed it dozens of times on visa runs.

I don't think I've ever seen a truck hauling a full-sized shipping container on that road, and doubt that it could handle the inclines and switchbacks, much less the a rapid succession of them in both directions. I have seen trawlers on flatbed trucks being shipped to the other coast, the going is slow and careful, and you can bet you'll get stuck behind it at some point.

If Ranong were to become a transportation hub I reckon they'd have to build a new heavy-duty highway elsewhere, like via Takua Pa maybe?