HKT Airport Car Rental

GiantFan

Flying in noonish next week and need a car for 5 days. My car is now sitting in Ubon at a friends house. Over the years have had many friends use the airport rental companies outside the airport and usually they are OK. But even after a lot of rentals, all have been duped for "scratches" by the agencies. They know you are in a hurry to leave and don't want to stick around to complain. A couple of thousand and you are on your way.

When I was in a few months back, I used Avis purely for the convenience. Car was in pretty poor shape, but it ran. Battery died and they came to Patong about 5 hours later and switched it out. Still waiting for a rebate (not holding my breath).

Any suggestions? I see that Budget is in Patong, but I need to pick up at the airport. Besides Avis, any other companies at HKT?

I used David too. Most of the time only rented for 1-2 days and never been scammed for anything. They are friendly and efficient but in the high season can sometimes be low on stock on good and cheap cars so better book a few days in advance (I never did :)). I picked always new-ish models and the condition was fine. They even drove me to the airport entrance after I brought it back so I didn't have to walk there with the luggage. Not sure if that's standard amongst the airport rental companies.

I have used the car rent place directly accross the street fromt the airport (next to the big money exchange place) walk there from departure on your left accross the road,

for monthly motorbike and car rentals......Never a problem always very helpful and to me and can take cars anyplace in Thailand not have to stay on Phuket like some places.

all properly insured. I always inspect the cars and let them see me taking pics of the dents and scratches at START of rental never a problem so far..

• 4 weeks later...

To follow up on my OP, I went with Hertz. It started badly as the piece of paper with my reservation number on it didn't jive with their numbering system. After asking me several times to give me a reservation number that fit into their system, I told them to call Hertz. These guys are a franchisee, so not sure why the reservation didn't get forwarded to them. Well, eventually they found the number and all was well. Had to give them my drivers license, PP copy, and CC.

Honda Jazz with hardly a scratch on it. 50K km's but it seemed like new. Drop off was easier than Avis. Just rang them 10 minutes before getting to HKT and they were waiting at Arrivals. A quick once over, sign, and off. It worked out to a little over THB 1,000 / day w/o the extra insurance.

It's not the first time I've rented in Thailand, but for the uninitiated, it is a bit daunting when they ask for your CC and charge you THB 30K for a deposit. Some hotels do this as a guarantee, but they don't ask you to sign on the dotted line on the CC receipt. When I dropped off the car, the lady said my deposit would be returned in 3 days! I called my CC company and they said that the 30K was run through when I picked up the car, just to see if it was available, but no money was taken out of my account.