Top Gun in Chiang Mai

eyecatcher

As I sit here listening to “Highway to the danger zone” from one of my favourite movies Top Gun; there is coincidently flying overhead Chiang Mai’s own Maverick and Ice Man.

So ok; if you are aware they tend to do their rounds at midday each day in between the domestic flights.

What are they actually doing and why, and what are the pilots doing for the other 9hrs of their day?

So this is what I researched and I ask you to put the relevance into Chiang Mai.

To become a fighter pilot, it is usually necessary to have an undergraduate degree and to attend flight school to receive training on military aircraft. This includes familiarization not only with the flight systems of the aircraft, but also with the combat systems. These can vary between aircraft, but generally fighter pilots learn to control a variety of weapons equipment along with radar and other detection systems to help them identify targets and evade the enemy.

Much of the work requires continual training. Fighter pilots fly repeatedly and on a regular schedule to maintain and refine their skills.(I think they know a circular route around the moat by now) The work can include practicing various aerial maneouvers, both solo and group, so pilots can work effectively as part of a team as well as on their own.

And the best bit………………A fighter pilot also needs to be familiar with operations like in-flight refueling, handling emergencies, and, in some cases, landing on the deck of an aircraft carrier.

Anyone seen either of the last two in our skies.

Lets hope we don’t need Navy support, and lets hope we don’t have to rely on the 3 fighters unless an airborne attack is in the old city.

Intel anyone?

post-150623-0-27244600-1410774973_thumb.

They've got 48 F-16s, about an hour north of BKK (by car). That represents the majority of their airpower. The heads just recently visited the US Embassy to make sure the US would still assist with the 20 year maintenance that is due soon. As long as they don't use them on their own people; it is unlikely to be a problem. F-35 sales might be a different story, but I noticed Oz is buying 72 of them.

They've got 48 F-16s, about an hour north of BKK (by car). That represents the majority of their airpower. The heads just recently visited the US Embassy to make sure the US would still assist with the 20 year maintenance that is due soon. As long as they don't use them on their own people; it is unlikely to be a problem. F-35 sales might be a different story, but I noticed Oz is buying 72 of them.

Thanks for your factual post.

It could be added that Chiang Mai was conquered by the Burmese and became their vassal state from 1558 until independence was regained in 1775.

Flying sorties near the border is a way of telling them that it won't happen again.

• Like 1

Everyone things its a nonsense buy and that Oz got pressured/ conned into buying them, though i believe they have only purchased 2 so far