Amcham discussion airs worries about declining Phuket

webfact

PHUKET: Amcham discussion airs worries about declining Phuket
Alasdair Forbes

1410774707_1-org.jpg
The father of Phuket tourism, Wichit Na Ranong, explained how, decades ago, he and others had formulated a plan for the government to guide Phuket’s tourism development.

PHUKET: -- What began as a discussion, arranged by the Phuket chapter of the American Chamber of Commerce, about Phuket’s identity, and the way the island should be branded to ensure that tourist numbers continue to rise, took an abrupt turn on Friday (September 12).

As David Keen of branding company Quo gave examples of how New Zealand had boosted numbers with its “Pure” campaign, or how Yorkshire had done the same with its “Have a brilliant Yorkshire”, there were mutters all around the room, filled with around 200 people, about whether Phuket needs any more tourists or, indeed, can stand any more.

On the stage, the father of Phuket tourism, Wichit Na Ranong, explained how, decades ago, he and others had formulated a plan for the government to guide Phuket’s tourism development.

It was accepted and although Thai Airways started flying regularly to the island, there was no budget for most of the rest of the plan, so it didn’t happen.

Alongside him, Daniel Meury of Andara commented, “Phuket is paying the price for its success.” Anthony Lark of Montara, agreed. “Phuket used to be beaches and Thainess. Market forces have driven development in an uncontrolled way. Perceptions of Phuket are mixed. There are many negative opinions.”

In the audience, Wolfgang Meusburger who includes in his portfolio the Holiday Inn in Patong, said, “It’s a classic case of things going bad when there is no control and everyone does whatever they want.”

Mr Keen, always nimble on his feet, swerved away from his numbers but argued that Phuket still needs to define itself. Without definition there would be no pride and no direction. He even offered to work on Phuket’s brand pro-bono.

He challenged anyone in the audience to sum the island up in a word or phrase. There were no takers.

So Mr Keen called for hands from those who would join an über-committee – a Tourism Council of Phuket, perhaps – to include the various chambers, associations, clubs and stakeholder organisations on the island that are already involved in steering things, often in conflicting directions. Perhaps 25 hands went up.

Russell Russell spoke for many when he said, “There really is no one in this room who can drive forward the changes needed in infrastructure and branding. We can talk about it but we can’t drive it.”

But Mr Wichit disagreed that it was time for the government, or some form of authority, to take a grip and make a plan.

“No, not top-down,” he said. “No one is better than the people sitting here and the stakeholders to create the plan.”

Presenting the plan to government, in a way that it would be accepted and supported, is an art, he explained. “You have to cook the food and then chew it for them. Then you can take it to a higher level [so they can digest it easily].”

He added, “Any children who stay quiet get forgotten. So you have to demand.” But who would do this cooking, chewing and demanding? Michael Ayling, new boss of Royal Phuket Marina, agreed that it was “now the time to come together”.

“Phuket is developing as a mass tourism destination,” he said, causing shudders around the room, “and we have to adapt to that.” He suggested that the major developers should take the lead.

Mr Lark – who could never be accused of catering to mass tourism – said that, instead, “Phuket needs breathing space to slow down, to fix the garbage, infrastructure and development.”

Mr Wichit came back to his argument that people need to come together to define Phuket and devise a coherent way forward. The page could not be wiped clean, he said. “We have to paint a picture on a cloudy sheet. But better that than no painting at all.”

He added, “We have to be ready for some pain.”

There was surprisingly little dissent in the room. All appeared to agree that Phuket is in a mess, that everyone is pursuing his or her own interests without regard to their effect on others, that the authorities are reactive rather than proactive, and that the island is sorely in need of a plan.

All the participants went away with plenty to think about. Whether the discussion will result in people actually coming together to give Phuket direction remains to be seen.

But, warned Mr Wichit, “We should not wait until everything breaks.”

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/amcham-discussion-airs-worries-about-declining-phuket-48737.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-09-15

It seems K Wichit would be the logical choice here as he's a local well respected business man. However, you need the ear of the decision maker(s) in BKK to see anything to fruition. As was referred to, everyone has been in it for themselves up to now and there has been sweet f all of forward planning.

• Like 2

But what does this plan look like? We have regulatory legislation on the books. That is not the problem. The problem is a complete lack of enforcement. Did anyone at this meeting dare breach the topic really plaguing the island; the rampant, normalized corruption?

• Like 2

I've heard too many scare stories to ever want to go to Phuket, friends have been ripped off there too. I only really like Kho Chang, the only rip off there is the song teaws but once you;re at your destination the prices arn't expensive and the locals leave you the fk alone. Phuket apparently got worse after the tsunami, you would have thought they would have taken that time to start afresh, oh well you reap what you sow I guess. Good luck Phuket.

The worst scams,cheating and overcharging I've come across in my many years of travelling in Thailand have been on Phuket.So I don't go there anymore.

Probably never will again.Plenty of other places to try and many to revisit.They will need to come up with something good.

• Like 2

Mr. Russel Russel? Seriously?

Oh, he was the chap with the stutter.

Equally baffling was Midder Keen (always nimble on his feet) who had no takers to his glib waffle on branding Phuket. Hardly surprising since his unnecessary usage of (abbreviated) Latin phrase was lost on the majority of the audience.

Equally baffling was Midder Keen (always nimble on his feet) who had no takers to his glib waffle on branding Phuket. Hardly surprising since his unnecessary usage of (abbreviated) Latin phrase was lost on the majority of the audience.

I have heard Russell on the radio, he makes a good DJ & certainly never stuttered.

Paradise Phuket does not need re branding it needs to effectively deal with the problems which have plagued it for years. Rampant uncontrolled development, 2 tier pricing which in many cases is more than double, transport, lack of & unfair enforcement of the law, preventative maintenance i.e. educating Phuket people not to trash their own backyard, idiotic underpasses when flyovers would be just as effective & certainly cheaper & quicker to build.

Feel free to add to the list.

I think Phuket is beyond redemption.

Rampant development without investment in the infrastructure needed to support it has degraded the environment to the point where it will cost billions of baht to remedy it.

And then there is the issue of endemic corruption ....

• Like 2

I have heard Russell on the radio, he makes a good DJ & certainly never stuttered.

Paradise Phuket does not need re branding it needs to effectively deal with the problems which have plagued it for years. Rampant uncontrolled development, 2 tier pricing which in many cases is more than double, transport, lack of & unfair enforcement of the law, preventative maintenance i.e. educating Phuket people not to trash their own backyard, idiotic underpasses when flyovers would be just as effective & certainly cheaper & quicker to build.

Sir, a friend of mine was present and reported that RR sounded like a nervous Elmer J Fudd with stage fright.

Adding to your list would be redundant as what youd already (quite rightly) alluded to would involve coherent policies that would be enforced...the stable door was left open and the Buffaro has long since bolted.

Sir, a friend of mine was present and reported that RR sounded like a nervous Elmer J Fudd with stage fright.

Adding to your list would be redundant as what youd already (quite rightly) alluded to would involve coherent policies that would be enforced...the stable door was left open and the Buffaro has long since bolted.

"the stable door was left open and the Buffaro has long since bolted." - yes, and only Russian and Chinese visiting the stable now to see where the buffalo used to live. :)

• Like 1

"the stable door was left open and the Buffaro has long since bolted." - yes, and only Russian and Chinese visiting the stable now to see where the buffalo used to live. smile.png

Wait a cotton picking minute...I think you may have the next big money-spinning idea there...think along the lines of the Bible story of the 3 wise men who came to see the Baby Jesus in his crib at the stable...well, bring that forward and do it Thai Style using the sacred Buffaro as the centre piece of the story. Market the story; a poor sacred Buffaro called Sidney who carried the Buddha to Phuket a squillion years ago so that the main man could teach enlightenment to the locals. To show his gratitude to the now ageing Buffaro the Buddha gave him (no room at the Beer Bar Inn) his own crinkly tin shed on the beach. T’was here, after attaining enlightenment, Sidney croaked and his shack became a holy shrine. Okay, that’s basic outline and now all ya gotta do is sell these trips to the suckers, I mean valued guests. Location?...hmmm...I’ll let you sort that one although wasn’t there a topic a while back by wot’s his name...ya know the plastic copper with all the hotels...who mentioned a beach location on the north west of the island where the Buffaro’s used to roam? Also there’ll be the merchandising tat; hats with horns, fossilized pooh from the scared Buffaro (I suspect the source will probably have come from the security guard), etc. Given the location I think with some safety that we can do away with the idea of wise men. tongue.png

There you have it and if it goes well you can buy me a few ales when I’m over at Kitmath. You’ll recognise me as the red faced Irishman wearing me favourite green crumpled felt hat sitting in the Clowns Pocket Bar on Bangla. drunk.gif