Distance-learning classes set to start at 15,000 small schools in Thailand

webfact

Distance-learning classes set to start at 15,000 small schools
TANPISIT LERDBAMRUNGCHAI
THE NATION

30243359-01_big.JPG

BANGKOK: -- CONCERNS HAVE been raised over some students' ability to keep pace with lessons as the Education Ministry prepares to launch distance-learning classes at 15,523 small schools.

During his visit to Suphan Buri's Wat Then Plai School, which has held distance learning via satellite for three years, Education Minister Lt-General Surachet Chaiwong said the project aimed to help alleviate the teacher shortage and teachers not qualified to teach subjects - for instance, a social-studies graduate may end up teaching maths.

Surachet said the technology needed in modern education would be used appropriately in the context of each area and school.

Distance learning has been expanded after the computer tablet project was scrapped.

Surachet said distance learning was more worthwhile and corruption-free.

Wat Then Plai School has six teachers and 105 students from kindergarten to Prathom 6. Its National Test (NT) and Ordinary National Educational Test (O-Net) scores were higher than average in all subjects in 2012.

In 2013, its NT scores were also higher than average in all subjects and O-Net scores were higher than average in six subjects.

Dusadee Chaowadecha, a Prathom 5 teacher at the school, said distance learning was effective as teachers could provide students with added information and check their progress to make sure they were keeping up.

The teachers had to prepare lessons according to the schedule provided in the distance-learning teacher handbook, she said.

Prathom 3 teacher Nanthiya Kaewthes said she arranged after-class tutoring for pupils if they couldn't keep up.

She said the school's high scores were not only the result of distance learning but also the tutoring.

Office of Basic Education Commission chief Kamol Rodklai told a Suphan Buri seminar, attended by representatives from 221 pilot schools, that the scheme would be expanded to 15,523 small schools by the second term of this school year. The Education Ministry will also train 124,000 teachers and school executives on using the technology.

Rodklai said the signal testing would be completed at all schools in October and the scheme would commence in early November.

The Distance Learning Foundation's distance-learning project was established on December 5, 1995 to celebrate the 50th anniversary of His Majesty's accession to the throne.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Distance-learning-classes-set-to-start-at-15000-sm-30243359.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-09-16

Hmm.... On obvious headache for immigration, allowing teachers to work in Thailand remotely. The teacher's physical location is transparent, be they in India, the USA or.. phuket. Payment via PayPal or bit coin. The digital era means a paradigm shift in everything from the analogue. War. Work. World.

i am excited when ever i hear of changes to the education system here in thailand,but also very sceptical it isnt all about votes and payoffs...treat our children well,please..never mix politicts with education...children deserve the best.we can give them..

• Like 1

Distance learning is a tool, but it takes more than one tool to build a functioning educational system.

I am afraid this will be another gimmick and short cut. We need to remember that a lot of schools don't even have electricity and internet is a distant dream.

If done properly it has been proven in Australia and Canada that distant learning can be

superior to class based learning. The problem is the social activity. Thailand hopefully

can take care of both. Just a matter of buying in by the teachers.

Once again a soon to be failed scheme, thought up based on the success of one or two schools. with little or no research to back it up. One of the key factors would have been class size. 6 teachers, 105 students. About 20 kids per class. Australia is a good example of small class size. After school tutoring. From what I see, almost any child who has great success in Thailand, is attending some type of tutorial class. By thai and foreigners. An absolute essential part of education in Thailand, mostly because of school class sizes and working parents.

• Like 1

The articles says that the teachers would have to produce lessons as per the handbook. Will the class be conducted using a teacher say in BKK or would the existing teachers merely use a screen instead of a book meaning that at the beginning of the lesson it is turned on & turned off at the end.

Maintenance is a biggie.............I teach at a large school near CM & it is not just a battle to get our audio/visual aids to work for us, it is futile to even try to have things seen to.

Learning really isn't in the program anyway.........My school says sorry no money in the budget but they recently bought a new mini van & a 3 tonne truck that they customised into a bloody big songtao. I estimate the cost of both to be about 4 million baht. So that is why there's no cash to fix a few computer & projector cables.

If this could be made to work effectively then excellent for Thai kids.

Also it could fix the paper shortage issue too. During this first term we had no paper & no copying service, this lasted for one month. When we raised our concerns with the director, he simply said "No problem, just talk to them or something" then laughed & walked away.

All these activities that are now hitting the schools, OMG some of us have not seen our students for up to four weeks..........so very little learning is going on at the moment & that is in every subject I might add. Very disheartening indeed.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Discipline ane motivation is needed. I hope it will work.

These qualities are not realities that can be found in too many educators here. Another problem with regards to teaching English is simply this, many, many Thai teachers do not have sufficient english skills to be effective with the new technology.............so no improvements.

I was pleased to read about this initiative because on www.obooko.com there is a free download of "How to Succeed with Distance Education" the book is mostly about the large number of free courses available at all levels for hobbyists, humanitarians and retirees. The last section of the book deals with setting up research programmes. In between are 'tools' for coping with distance education in the absence of timetables and peer pressure. There is a also a sector about Bill Gate's favourite free education source. The book is just about to be posted for a 4th edition that includes many more websites and opportunities. This is attached.

Walkerun

Prepare the lessons according to the handbook. That's the theory how is the practice most of us know. Just open the TV in the morning and close it in the afternoon. No need to be present.

Don't forget the tutoring though, an integral part of rote learning at weekends and a source of valuable income for those teachers who prefer to be more active at weekends!

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Discipline ane motivation is needed. I hope it will work.

These qualities are not realities that can be found in too many educators here. Another problem with regards to teaching English is simply this, many, many Thai teachers do not have sufficient english skills to be effective with the new technology.............so no improvements.

Seems that you're kidding. I've met plenty of Native English speaking teachers who didn't even know hot to use a projector, making a slideshow, etc..

Two of them are 20 years old. Can't do shit. But got a big mouth. One of them can't even book an online flight from Ubon to Bangkok.

Same guy is employed as a computer and health teacher at a well known primary school in lower north east, "teaching" grade 4-6 EP.

Seems that he'd lost a part of his chin.But he's a good facebooker though. coffee1.gif

Another Irish teacher had a computer problem, when I was asking him what operating system he'd have, he replied: "Google." Enough. No more help. Bye bye...

Might be a good excuse not to have a real chin.......facepalm.gif

Edited by lostinisaan

"scores were higher than average"

That's a hoot! Dig a bit deeper and what that means is rather than score 23/100, they scored 27/100. Thai students' "average" scores have always been utterly abysmal.

I think you will find that the average score is at least a pass!!! Your statement is a sweeping generalization. There are some exceptionally talented students here just like in any other country....