No change in Britons' travel plans after murders on Koh Tao

webfact

Hey CC,

Why such a thai apologist? Can you not comprehend the lack of insensitivity and the timeliness of the Thai gov and Thais in general only concern is about tourism and tourism numbers. Their priorities are all screwed up. It is not the time nor place to whip out an article about how does it impact me,me,me, me...

If they showed some compassion and not worry so much about how is this going to impact tourism. This event will have zero or very little impact on Tourism. Isolated murders have in all major cities/countries. .Now if there was a crime pattern or volume occurring against tourists or foreigners (like in Florida car rentals) then that is a different matter and then it is justified to come out with a study on how tourism has been impacted positively or negatively. But not within a week of a horrific crime and their tourism statements are nothing but projections and speculations anyway as they really don't know what the future brings. The point is that tourism shouldn't even being discussed in the media at this point in time.

For them to even think and put into public statements at this time is more of a reflection of insecurity even paranoia on their part. They got their priorities upside down and it reflects badly internationally..

Can you not see that?.

CB

Maybe he's just trying to put some much needed equilibrium into a thread totally unbalanced by the usual Thai bashers and their non-sensical rants?

Disgusting: Thainess now defined.clap2.gif

So is "Western-ness", with our selfinflated opinion about our own importance!

Thousands of people are murdered in Thailand every year, and most people don't care, because they are Thai, Burmese or Camdodian.

But this time it was sadly a young couple from our own "tribe", and we expects the world to stop.

If you consider Thailand too dangerous, move or stop coming here on holidays, it is really very simple.

You will be happy in your new destination of choice, Thailand will survive and we, who decide to stay, will not have to listen to your non stop whining about anything Thai!

Win win scenario!!clap2.gif

• Like 1

you can deduce which part of the world and which ethnic group contains people who are genetically the most similar to your own ancestors and gain an understanding of which ethnic group has the strongest ties to your genetic lineage. DNA testing can also allow you to determine your Haplogroup. Haplogroups are ancient family groups dating back to over 100,000 years ago that have migrated around the world to form our current populations. Certain Haplogroups are found exclusively in certain parts of the world. For example, all native americans fall into exclusive Haplogroups which are found either only in North America or in North America and Asia (since Native Americans are originally from Asia). Likewise, Europe contains many Haplogroups which are specific to Europeans and are not found in Native American and rarely found in Asians or Africans.

so the dna samples they have availiable to them should easily reveal the nationality it comes from?

What does traffic on London - Bkk have to do with anything ?

It's info for the government, and for me it means that no matter how much the Thai Police bungles an ongoing murder investigation, no matter how insensitive the remarks of the PM are perceived as, it all doesn't matter since the traffic London - Bkk stayed the same. It means the government can continue to do exactly as they have, since it didn't affect the money rolling in. It's a sanctioning of the ongoing way to do things, mai pen rai.

• Like 2

Thousands of people are murdered in Thailand every year, and most people don't care, because they are Thai, Burmese or Camdodian.

But this time it was sadly a young couple from our own "tribe", and we expects the world to stop.

If you consider Thailand too dangerous, move or stop coming here on holidays, it is really very simple.

You will be happy in your new destination of choice, Thailand will survive and we, who decide to stay, will not have to listen to your non stop whining about anything Thai!

Just watch what will happen to your surviving Thailand if 20% of tourists take your advice and stay away for the next few years.

Hey CC,

Why such a thai apologist? Can you not comprehend the lack of insensitivity and the timeliness of the Thai gov and Thais in general only concern is about tourism and tourism numbers. Their priorities are all screwed up. It is not the time nor place to whip out an article about how does it impact me,me,me, me...

If they showed some compassion and not worry so much about how is this going to impact tourism. This event will have zero or very little impact on Tourism. Isolated murders have in all major cities/countries. .Now if there was a crime pattern or volume occurring against tourists or foreigners (like in Florida car rentals) then that is a different matter and then it is justified to come out with a study on how tourism has been impacted positively or negatively. But not within a week of a horrific crime and their tourism statements are nothing but projections and speculations anyway as they really don't know what the future brings. The point is that tourism shouldn't even being discussed in the media at this point in time.

For them to even think and put into public statements at this time is more of a reflection of insecurity even paranoia on their part. They got their priorities upside down and it reflects badly internationally..

Can you not see that?.

CB

CB,

People. Children are killed every day in thailand and none of us on TV even show an interest except to see who can come up with the first or the best one-liner.

Now you think the world should stop because the victims were Brits.

It was a terrible crime. It has destroyed the lives of their loved ones. But there has been violent crime in Thailand before. Why is it only now that the TV message boards are filled with so much activity? Why aren't you speaking up about the 14-year old boy killed yesterday? He didn't deserve to die. His family is in tremendous anguish at the loss of their child.

Just watch what will happen to your surviving Thailand if 20% of tourists take your advice and stay away for the next few years.

That will bring the number of arrivals down to the level of 2011/12. With "only" 20-21M arrivals per year, I am sure that Thailand will survive.

Might actually be a good thing with a "breather"?

Well I'm definitely not changing my travel plans, last time I checked Thailand has a much and much lower murder rate per capita compared to the likes of ,Philippines,Colombia,Brazil etc.

Just to give you the picture, murder rate per 100,000 in USA is 4.7, Thailand is 5.0

Brazil is 25, Colombia 30

Its nearly 2 times safer than Russia which has a murder rate of 9.7

I hate how the western media depicts these countries as "dangerous"

Last time I checked they were also bashing Turkey after an american tourist was murdered, it has a murder rate of 2.6, lower than most European countries.

Screw the media, I'll never be influenced by them and change my travel plans.

yep all thegap year parents will be going , no worries.head for thailand we`ll pay . and those bods that book their annual 3 weeks.over the daily star instant coffee and a chat, 4 sure this wont influence them. floods coups. miltary dictatorship and now murdering young ones , with each giving a less clear picture of thailand, nah wont change them at all!!!!. though the answer i got when i.pointed out the missing.hordes, and they were dwindling! was who really cares the chinese were coming !!! and Isuppose she had a point.

Edited by rijit

Pathetic

You have summed it up in a word.

LoS is being seen in a bad light so let's churn out meaningless propaganda that proves nothing.

People are still flying into Bkk, wow !

I think this comment sums up the kingdom tbh. As much as I love going there (and I really do) it shows that they are selfish and only really care about monetary gain.

It appears difficult for many TV posters to comprehend a world where they are not the center of attention.

Cannot grasp that many Thai nationals livelihoods depend on tourism and they might be anxious to learn Britons' reaction to the gruesome murders.

It would be better printed in the Thai papers then.

It appears difficult for many TV posters to comprehend a world where they are not the center of attention.

Cannot grasp that many Thai nationals livelihoods depend on tourism and they might be anxious to learn Britons' reaction to the gruesome murders.

I couldn't care less about the Thai peoples livelihoods being affected by this crime. Two innocent young people have been murdered whilst they were guests on this island, so the how this affects tourism for Thailand/the Thai people is absolutely of zero importance considering what has happened.

Thank you for making my point.

Blame the entire society for the crime of one. Make the entire country suffer because of the actions of one.

Thats justice, eh?

The actions of One !! Get real! , Assault,violence,murder, rape,traffic carnage,drug abuse are a staple of this society not only among foreign visitors but within the local community.

As for justice; dubious at best and if you think otherwise then you are living in your own bubble.

• Like 1