Southern border situation

Southern border situation

I have a Non-O based on marriage. I used to go to the Padang Besar (sometimes Sadao) border for a new 90 day entry stamp. Recently I have heard reports of people being rejected at these borders with this type of visa, asking them to spend at least one night in Malaysia. Does anybody know how is the situation there today?

In former times you got your exit stamp on the Thai side, an entry stamp from the Malaysian Immigration and an Malaysian exit stamp at the entry booth. Then back to the Thai Immigration for a new entry. That was easy and never a problem, and it was all done in 30 minutes.

I would much appreciate statements from people who have just done these kind of border runs with a Non-O. Do border officials still insist of a night in Malaysia before reentering Thailand?

I use to book train tickets from Hua Hin to Hat Yai and back in advance. If I really have to stay in Malaysia I need to adjust the bookings.

Thanks for the input!

Edited by nofarang

I have done this trip to Penang many times. The train from the border to Butterworth is very slow and a waste of time. It takes four hours to reach Butterworth and with the ferry crossing over to Penang it comes to six hours all in all. On the way back you can only book a train ticket to the border or to Hat Yai, and you often find yourself stranded in Hat Yai as all beds on the northbound trains are booked out for days.

In June, in Sadao, the immigration person in the booth asked many people to show cash; 10.000 - 40.000, but in the end some senior person in the office allowed everybody through withhout having to show cash.

i don't know how the situation is today.

I think things may of settled down at the southern border crossings. Other than Ranong which is still a problem.

I don't recall any recent reports of there being a need to stay overnight.

Sadao 8th September, my friend had to stay overnight. Tourist visa, double entry. Doing borderrun to activate 2nd entry.

My Visa Run went very smooth, but a lot of the people in the group had a sense of uncertainty and worry.

All did get their visa stamped, all were on legal visas or extension of stay.

Why doesn't the government issue a list of rules, as required by the law.

To many officials, border posts, disgruntled officials, make up their own rules.

Observations at the border, after a few hours you can tell which group will have problems.

Most of theses visitors to The Kingdom are doing their own Visa Run!

These are easy picking, they just add "things" to the rules, requirements. I realize there are times when additional "things" are necessary, but when the Passport holder just crosses the border out and back in in 30 minutes what could be wrong with their papers, either the qualify for entry or they don't.

The government need to provide a set of published rules of the requirement that effect EVERY Border Crossing.

The rules should be the same at all crossings and available for the Visitor to see/read,

If the problem is the border post of the other country, just close that border to foreigners.

If every one followed the same set of rules, and they were enforced, the process would go so much smoother, with less stress and BS on both sides.

Every one was bitching about the changes in the rules, Other than ED Visas and VOA the rules are the same as they always have been, just enforcing the rules now. I know there have been small changes, my statement is "IN GENERAL".

Don't listen to roomers, all the information you need is available on the net, just look!

In almost 40 years here in "The Kingdom" I have NEVER had a exit or entry problem at any border crossing.

Yes more questions are asked now, but that's the way things are all over the world now.

Well, I had a lovely time at Sadao border today.

I have a 'non-immigrant one year multiple-entry' visa based on working as a supervisor in a primary school. I went to Sadao to do my three-month check-in. I've never had a problem before so I was expecting things to run smoothly.

I entered back into Thailand from Malaysia by motorcycle taxi and went to immigration booth one. The lady at number one directed me to the office without taking so much as a look at me. I was expecting to go to the office as per previous reports so I had my work permit and 20,000THB prepared just in case.

The officers in the office did not pay much attention when I entered, only their scruffy looking assistant. I told the assistant I had been directed here and he flippantly sent me straight back out to immigration booth; I could tell already at that point I wouldn’t ever want to deal with him again. I went back to the immigration booth one and the woman, again barely glancing at me, sent me to immigration booth eight.

Immigration booth eight was staffed by an elderly gentleman whose first question was ‘Who sent you here?’ I told him booth number one sent me there and he immediately went on his walkie-talkie. I told him I was a supervisor at a primary school in Songkhla city; he didn’t pay much attention to that and continued to fiddle with his walkie-talkie for about five minutes whilst a queue built up behind me.

Eventually the man in booth eight sent me back to the office. I still kept a happy face on as the decision of any officer could keep me stuck outside of Thailand. I went back to the office and told the assistant I had been sent back here and he took my passport. He was rude as before but my bad feeling only increased when a middle-aged guy (again, not dressed as one of the immigration officers) stuck his head into the office.

I was trying to be respectful by responding to them in Thai (their English wasn’t great) but they just poked fun at my beginner-level ability. Still I kept my happy face on but I started to feel pretty crap about the situation. I could sense that these two thugs really didn’t like foreigners. They made allusions (in basic English) about how well paid foreign staff in schools are, in a way that was clearly resentful. They then proceeded to ask 500THB (in Thai) from me. I asked why (in Thai) and they responded in English. They said that every time I spoke Thai I should give them 500THB. Needless to say I stopped speaking Thai and in fact stopped speaking to them at all.

Shortly after the bribe attempt I was called over by one of the immigration officers who looked at my work permit and passport and stamped me through pretty quickly. Why I had to be grilled and made to feel bad by the two gangsters I don’t know. They weren't queuing entertainment as there was no other foreigners currently being dealt with in the office.

Needless to say I’m going to see what I can do to avoid going to the border again, whether it be to work through an agency who can sort out my papers for a one-year extension or to work at a university whose requirements are less onerous. I really love the kids at my school so I don’t want to have to do this but I really don’t want to risk being turned away at the border again.

p.s.-Any ideas who those guys in the office might be? They didn’t act or dress professionally like the officers. They were the ones who really made my experience today shitty. I have no problems being asked questions, but being asked for bribes and having fun poked at you when you feel as if you are at their mercy isn’t something I feel anyone should face.

p.p.s.-Sorry for the essay! I hope no one else has the same experience I had.

Edited by fredzafsky

Well, I had a lovely time at Sadao border today.

I have a 'non-immigrant one year multiple-entry' visa based on working as a supervisor in a primary school. I went to Sadao to do my three-month check-in. I've never had a problem before so I was expecting things to run smoothly.

I entered back into Thailand from Malaysia by motorcycle taxi and went to immigration booth one. The lady at number one directed me to the office without taking so much as a look at me. I was expecting to go to the office as per previous reports so I had my work permit and 20,000THB prepared just in case.

The officers in the office did not pay much attention when I entered, only their scruffy looking assistant. I told the assistant I had been directed here and he flippantly sent me straight back out to immigration booth; I could tell already at that point I wouldn’t ever want to deal with him again. I went back to the immigration booth one and the woman, again barely glancing at me, sent me to immigration booth eight.

Immigration booth eight was staffed by an elderly gentleman whose first question was ‘Who sent you here?’ I told him booth number one sent me there and he immediately went on his walkie-talkie. I told him I was a supervisor at a primary school in Songkhla city; he didn’t pay much attention to that and continued to fiddle with his walkie-talkie for about five minutes whilst a queue built up behind me.

Eventually the man in booth eight sent me back to the office. I still kept a happy face on as the decision of any officer could keep me stuck outside of Thailand. I went back to the office and told the assistant I had been sent back here and he took my passport. He was rude as before but my bad feeling only increased when a middle-aged guy (again, not dressed as one of the immigration officers) stuck his head into the office.

I was trying to be respectful by responding to them in Thai (their English wasn’t great) but they just poked fun at my beginner-level ability. Still I kept my happy face on but I started to feel pretty crap about the situation. I could sense that these two thugs really didn’t like foreigners. They made allusions (in basic English) about how well paid foreign staff in schools are, in a way that was clearly resentful. They then proceeded to ask 500THB (in Thai) from me. I asked why (in Thai) and they responded in English. They said that every time I spoke Thai I should give them 500THB. Needless to say I stopped speaking Thai and in fact stopped speaking to them at all.

Shortly after the bribe attempt I was called over by one of the immigration officers who looked at my work permit and passport and stamped me through pretty quickly. Why I had to be grilled and made to feel bad by the two gangsters I don’t know. They weren't queuing entertainment as there was no other foreigners currently being dealt with in the office.

Needless to say I’m going to see what I can do to avoid going to the border again, whether it be to work through an agency who can sort out my papers for a one-year extension or to work at a university whose requirements are less onerous. I really love the kids at my school so I don’t want to have to do this but I really don’t want to risk being turned away at the border again.

p.s.-Any ideas who those guys in the office might be? They didn’t act or dress professionally like the officers. They were the ones who really made my experience today shitty. I have no problems being asked questions, but being asked for bribes and having fun poked at you when you feel as if you are at their mercy isn’t something I feel anyone should face.

p.p.s.-Sorry for the essay! I hope no one else has the same experience I had.

Lots of people has bad experiences in Sadao (I think we're talking about Dannok actually), including myself. it is probably the worst border post in Thailand.

It would be interesting to understand who exactly are the bribe demanders. Since it is known that Dannok routinely collects money from passports, it could be that it has been setup so that is not taken directly take by officers.

Lots of people has bad experiences in Sadao (I think we're talking about Dannok actually), including myself. it is probably the worst border post in Thailand.

It would be interesting to understand who exactly are the bribe demanders. Since it is known that Dannok routinely collects money from passports, it could be that it has been setup so that is not taken directly take by officers.

You're right, I'm talking about Dannok border. I've just been talking to my friend about the situation and he made the same comment about the bribe demanders. If the situation is really restricted to Dannok, I might try Satun border next. I've heard good things about the officers at that border.

You're right, I'm talking about Dannok border. I've just been talking to my friend about the situation and he made the same comment about the bribe demanders. If the situation is really restricted to Dannok, I might try Satun border next. I've heard good things about the officers at that border.

You can also try Wang Pranchan in Thale Ban national park. Is is relatively less known yet used by border run companies.

Hi fred thanks for the "essay". It is a shame how people holding a legal visa are tossed around. Some border posts/officials create their own rules thinking to be too far away from any jurisdiction. That is why we have to exchange our experiences to be informed about the scams going on.

I heard bad stories about the Sadao/Danok border which is why I started this thread. Personally I prefer the Padang Besar border which is only just a few kilometers away and is easy to reach from Hat Yai (bus and minibus). I have been there many times and never had a problem. Other to Sadao/Danok I have never seen many foreigners there.

I have also been to Wang Prachan once. This is a very lovely border post in a hilly area with lots of forests around. But it is very remote and hard to reach If you don`t have a car.

I would love to hear more reports on the Padang border.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Hi fred thanks for the "essay". It is a shame how people holding a legal visa are tossed around. Some border posts/officials create their own rules thinking to be too far away from any jurisdiction. That is why we have to exchange our experiences to be informed about the scams going on.

I heard bad stories about the Sadao/Danok border which is why I started this thread. Personally I prefer the Padang Besar border which is only just a few kilometers away and is easy to reach from Hat Yai (bus and minibus). I have been there many times and never had a problem. Other to Sadao/Danok I have never seen many foreigners there.

I have also been to Wang Prachan once. This is a very lovely border post in a hilly area with lots of forests around. But it is very remote and hard to reach If you don`t have a car.

I would love to hear more reports on the Padang border.

I used to use Pedang Basar quite a lot when going to Thailand to visit the family . I haven't used it since the "Visa -Run" "Crack down" started , about April this year and have only flown into Thailand. I get my Multi non -Immigrant on Monday (Fingers crossed) and am flying from Hat Yai to BKK on Thursday, crossing into Thailand at PB. I've never had trouble on the Thai side there before

Edited by Sena Dave

I think things may of settled down at the southern border crossings. Other than Ranong which is still a problem.

I don't recall any recent reports of there being a need to stay overnight.

Just back from Ranong;

B 1 year visa; have ur wp with you.

double entry tourist visa

no problem

retirement extension, marriage

no problem

NO money asked for , no ticket out. They check u can check out of Thailand before they actually stamp u out an if ur not valid to come back they will NOT stamp you out.

Ranong is hurting for tourists but u would never know it from the motorbike guys an what they charge. ONLY use the local Song Taws 15 baht!!

Example Ranong Bus station to the pier/immigration 15 baht motorbike 100,taxi 150!! plus 2 people on a motorbike they ask for 150!!

Ranong will NOT issue a visa exempt stamp