Want to increase that DOF but limited by camera & lens?

Tywais

I subscribe to some YouTube photographers and stumbled across this and thought it was really cool.

DOF is a mantra many talk about with oohs and ahhs of the lovely bokeh, creamy smooth blurred background. Well there are times when it is an annoyance and wish you could get a much greater DOF but lens and camera physics limits you. The technique I came across is Focus Stacking. If you've done manual HDR it is very similar but instead of varying exposure you have varying focus points. It comes in useful for example in product photography where you have to tightly frame the subject but also keep it entirely in focus. Same with landscapes where you really want that interesting stuff in the very near foreground in focus as well as the object in the far distance.

The process is fairly simple. Take photos setting your focus to the closest item that you want sharp then move the focus further out and do it again until the far distance object is the last item to focus. Use Photoshop (I use CS 6) and the steps in the YouTube videos I will attach in my next post. I did a very primitive and quick test just to see the process and how it comes out. Considering how little care I took in it it came out pretty good. I did two sets: The first set I used the touch focus capability on the EM-1 and the 2nd I used manual focus and focus peaking. The 2nd came out much better due to the finer control I had.

The 1st photo is my focusing on the table top closest to the camera and focused out until the back end of the item. Had about 5 focus points for this. The 2nd photo is of them all merged to get a large DOF of the item. I used a shorter focal length then I wanted at 35mm and aperture at 2.8 to compound the DOF issue. BTW, using the DOF calculator the DOF for this lens and camera was about 6 cm

1st photo of the group. Foreground (table top sharp) rest out of focus.

15100033097_961b84cd26_c.jpg

The merged product. Zooming in on the full resolution file and it is tack sharp from front to back.

15263565306_47bc2e34be_c.jpg

• Like 2