Anyone get charged the 7% VAT on a package sent from outside Thailand?

22 minutes ago, jimgilly said:

Has anyone had to go to the Thai post office to pay the 7% VAT that was to be effective 1 May or was the 7% collected upon delivery to the home? 

The arrangement has always been to pay at the local post office and collect the package; I doubt that the postmen would be lumbered with the potential of having to cart around all day, and return to the PO with, who-knows-how-many unpaid-for packages.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jimgilly said:

Has anyone had to go to the Thai post office to pay the 7% VAT that was to be effective 1 May or was the 7% collected upon delivery to the home? 

Yes, they'd leave you paper to go to post office, pay import duties and VAT to get the package. DHL cleared it for you, and ask you to go to their website and settle the bill for both import duty/VAT and their service charges, before delivering parcel. It's been like this since forever, only difference was on shipments of below 1500 baht which could be imported without import duty until a week back, but now the rule is the same for everything.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, jimgilly said:

You can pay online and they'll deliver the next day

15 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

It's been like this since forever, only difference was on shipments of below 1500 baht which could be imported without import duty until a week back, but now the rule is the same for everything.

The article in question addressed VAT, not import duty.

To ensure fair trade practices, the Ministry of Finance plans to collect VAT for imported goods sent via postal services irrespective of their value, while maintaining the exemption from import duties.

https://en.vietnamplus.vn/thailand-to-apply-vat-on-imports-sent-via-post-post285288.vnp

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, yankee99 said:

You can pay online and they'll deliver the next day

So for a 1000 baht value, you need to do an online transfer of 70 baht before you get your package.  And what methods of payment are acceptable?

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

The article in question addressed VAT, not import duty.

To ensure fair trade practices, the Ministry of Finance plans to collect VAT for imported goods sent via postal services irrespective of their value, while maintaining the exemption from import duties.

https://en.vietnamplus.vn/thailand-to-apply-vat-on-imports-sent-via-post-post285288.vnp

True, but receipt I have got for importing stuff from Japan via EMS always had import duty AND 7% VAT. On the total cost of shipment, meaning on the product price + shipping price. And it's been like this since I started buying stuff from overseas.

There was no VAT applied to my recent package that I accidentally bought from China. I've ordered another product from China now to see what the deal is. I won't get it til next week though. I can't help laugh that I normally try to not buy from Chinese sellers, but the new government policy actually motivated me to do so on this occasion.

6 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

True, but receipt I have got for importing stuff from Japan via EMS always had import duty AND 7% VAT. On the total cost of shipment, meaning on the product price + shipping price. And it's been like this since I started buying stuff from overseas.

Yes, goods over 1500 baht have always been subject to import duty and also VAT, currently reduced from

10% to 7%.

From 1st May goods under 1500 baht will be subject to VAT at the current rate but they will still be exempt from import duty.

I have been receiving goods from India via Thai Post for many years and never paid anything, gross value $45 - $50, net value about $37.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, madox66 said:

Recieved today a parcel from China through Lazada, nothing to pay. Same as usual...

Lazada already includes all duties and taxes in the price of the product. But you might have noticed that some items increased in price slightly. About 5-10% in the past few weeks.

20 hours ago, jimgilly said:

So for a 1000 baht value, you need to do an online transfer of 70 baht before you get your package.  And what methods of payment are acceptable?

you scan the qr code so about any bank app works 

14 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

Lazada already includes all duties and taxes in the price of the product. But you might have noticed that some items increased in price slightly. About 5-10% in the past few weeks.

Not really 

lazada {from Thailand sellers} only collects vat on their commission. The seller is required to charge and pay vat. In reality if a thai seller has been doing business correctly it wont affect them.

When its shipped from China or another country then the vat/tax burden will be on the impoter whether a forum member or Bigc 

• Agree 1