Carpet Tiles

Sirius1935

Does anyone know of a shop in Chiang Rai that sells or can order carpet tiles? I have tried all the usual places like Thai Watsadu and Home Pro.

I know they have them in Thailand as I saw them replacing most of the carpet tiles in the terminal at Don Mueang a month or so ago.

The ONLY place I know for carpet tiles is in Bangkok on Petchburi Riad and is called Carpets International. You'll have to google them, I'm sorry I don't have a contact there any more.

They are very good but their prices tend to match their reputation. Viz. not cheap.

• Like 1

Yes they are on Google even mention the tiles. Just checked.

Many thanks I'll give them a try. Another way to do the floor covering would be fitted carpet. The room is hexagonal with a column in the middle.

Do they do fitted carpets in Thailand and do you know or anywhere in Chiang Rai? I don't want to tile the floor due to the acoustics.

Thanks again. S.

I can assure you Thailand does indeed do fitted carpets but have you considered doing some nice throw rugs to help with the acoustics while being much easier to move around or pick up and clean?

Thanks for that VF. The floor is at present rather unattractive concrete which is why I was considering a total covering of the floor.

Do you know where in Chiang Rai they sell carpet on a roll that can be cut to fit the shape of the room? I have tried Home Pro and Thai Watsadu but neither of them stock it.

Due to the climate, I have never considered carpet in Thailand so have no firsthand experience. There really isn’t much you can’t get or have done in Thailand if you are willing to pay for it, however. The village handyman won’t be experienced at things like laying carpet so you would probably need to go to a carpet company (which may mean Bangkok) and they may have minimum sizes they are willing to work on. Even if you find a Chiang Rai company, they will most likely be ordering carpet from Bangkok anyway.

Even in Bangkok it is usually the high end hotels and some offices which can afford to install and maintain carpet. I even remember a farang guy who ran a crew of carpet cleaners who worked nights cleaning the carpets in major hotels. It was not easy keeping them clean, even with in-house cleaning staff, so they hired him for bigger cleaning jobs.
Unless the room will be air conditioned, food odors, the humidity and bugs could cause problems down the road. I know you probably just want an answer to your question but thought I would offer up some of the downsides of carpet. Sometimes we get fixated on what we want and don’t think outside the box to come up with alternatives which might work just as well or better. Sorry if I have strayed too far off topic.
  • Like 1

Hi

Yes, In fact Carpet Inter also do fitted stuff but again it's expensive.

I would look to what type of structure was/is used on the floor (assuming it's a ground floor room) if it is an older building the chances are it's what we call "slab on grade" meaning that the concrete is poured on the earth below. If it is not tiled as your message suggests then putting any kind of carpet will "draw" damp from below which will very soon give mildew abd musty problems.

You could try a wood laminate (Mr. Floor just over the bridge on hwy1) and throw rugs as VF suggests.

More often than not though, acoustics can be better improved by using soft wall finishes and furniture. This is where the echo emanates, not the floor. Add full length drapes or curtains helps heaps.

Edited by AjarnP
  • Like 2

My wife bought some carpet tiles a short while back from a shop on the same side of the road as Central on the super highway (coming back into town) just past the kasikornbank and virtually opposite the Honda showroom. Shop is from and located next to vtt finance I think they are called.

Not a lot of choice but decent quality and not that expensive as I recall.

I think I also saw carpet tiles in Robinsons actually.

Edited by Paul888

• 2 weeks later...

We have those porcelain finished Granito tiles and a seven meter ceiling but no acoustical problems. Looking around the room I have to agree with AjarnP, that furniture, walls, windows and curtains seem to have a positive effect. As Scea says, rugs on tiled floors do look nice, though, and probably help a little with the sound too.

• 2 years later...