renting deposit in Pattaya

borisr

I went to two reputable real estate agenies and in both cases the renting deposit was two months on 6 month rent. I am looking for a decent two bedroom appartment in Central Pattaya and I think is pretty steep. Is there any wat around it? Thanks in advance.

Its always pay first months rent,2 months security deposit

AND if you are LUCKY you will have it returned.

There a lots of places to rent,try to rent off the owner and

negotiate paying only 1 months deposit,its a renters market

so i sure someone will be happy to do it.

regards Worgeordie

• Like 1

Its always pay first months rent,2 months security deposit

AND if you are LUCKY you will have it returned.

That is what I am hearing too. In my case, I was offered (arguably nice) two-bedroom appartment on baht-bus route for 40000 baht per month. So I need to pay initially

120000 baht and then quite probably would not get back 80000 baht. Something, I am not ready to do.

Two months security deposit is a scam. The agent/agency is just trying to get their commission up front. First month and one month deposit is widely accepted and even then you may have problems with the deposit being returned. Remember, these monies are not kept in escrow as many westerners are used to. The refund is like pulling teeth because it comes out of the owners/agents pocket, not as I say an escrow account they can't touch.

• Like 1

We always take one month and one in advance however its perfectbly understandable requiring two months. If rent is THB 10,000 per month, a THB 10,000 deposit barely covers the television, let alone other damage or unpaid utilities so do see it from the vendors point of view. As for the comments of deposits not being returned, that is few and far between and usually because the tenant has broken the contract or made substantial damage. As for the OP, if the apartment is 40K a month, I would imagine it has 2/3 televisions, microwave etc, etc, etc.... a lot more than 80K worth of breakable or goods worth stealing.

Two months security deposit is a scam. The agent/agency is just trying to get their commission up front. First month and one month deposit is widely accepted and even then you may have problems with the deposit being returned. Remember, these monies are not kept in escrow as many westerners are used to. The refund is like pulling teeth because it comes out of the owners/agents pocket, not as I say an escrow account they can't touch.

In a sense, I am ready to forfeit one month deposit but definitely not two months.

We always take one month and one in advance however its perfectbly understandable requiring two months. If rent is THB 10,000 per month, a THB 10,000 deposit barely covers the television, let alone other damage or unpaid utilities so do see it from the vendors point of view. As for the comments of deposits not being returned, that is few and far between and usually because the tenant has broken the contract or made substantial damage. As for the OP, if the apartment is 40K a month, I would imagine it has 2/3 televisions, microwave etc, etc, etc.... a lot more than 80K worth of breakable or goods worth stealing.

In both agencies I was told that that this is their policy to take two month deposit. I do not quite understand the calculation above. They have a complete information about the customer, including copy of passport, information about the visa etc. If they assume that all customers are criminals, then they need to close their business. On the other hand, it seems to me, that it is much easier for the agency to take a legal action against the customer , then vice versa in case, if the contract is breached.

I'm a renter, but I do believe all the bitching about 2 months deposit is unreasonable. Sure the deposit money may not be secure like it is in other countries, but then again, it's easy for the tenants to skip and hop on a plane, leaving landlords high and dry.

Also consider there aren't any back ground security checks done when you rent here. References are also not required, so it's very easy to rent compared to back home. Also, it's possible in most cases to break the contract without being liable for the whole contract period.

It seems many want it both ways. If I was a landlord with a nicely furnished apartment I certainly would want to rent it out to total strangers for only 1 month's deposit.

I managed to negotiate the rental deposit to 1.5 x rent, but this is not always possible. If you can't strike a deal, then either walk away or cough up. It depends how much you like the place.

• Like 2

In all the apartments I've rented in Bangkok and Pattaya, I've yet to pay 2 months' deposit plus first month's rent. Have always paid one month's deposit plus rent. OP, go out and walk the streets to find a room. Most good buildings have an office or security can find the boss soon enough.

In all the apartments I've rented in Bangkok and Pattaya, I've yet to pay 2 months' deposit plus first month's rent. Have always paid one month's deposit plus rent. OP, go out and walk the streets to find a room. Most good buildings have an office or security can find the boss soon enough.

However, if you are adamant not to pay 2 month's deposit you will limit your options as not all landlords or agents will negotiate the amount.

It's pretty easy to "find a room", but if a person wants an immaculately furnished, well appointed place, the going won't be as easy.

The failure and refusal to return deposits isn't "few and far between". The legal requirement to hold the money and the commissions said "agents" want is the key to understanding the ridiculous deposit requests. If the agent has received a two month commission it is doubtful the owner is going to want to give back the deposit in any amount. How people continue to be deceived and unaware where they are living is perplexing. It's all about the money in the third world, even at the "HiSo" levels of 40,000.baht a month apartment(condo) rentals.

• Like 1

As you can imagine, I am doing precisely this. And what I find out is quite interesting. For example, in one well-known apartment complex they ask for 1 month deposit rent for three months and 2 month deposit rent for six months. This proves that all the talk about customers stealing from the rental property is a total BS. The only real concern is that customer may breach the contract by leaving appartment earlier. But in this case one month deposit should be more than enough. I would like to hear the opinion about condotels:

they seem to be much more flexible in terms of length of contract and deposits. 2-month deposit is a scam and I will not pay it (with rather stay in hotel).

The failure and refusal to return deposits isn't "few and far between". The legal requirement to hold the money and the commissions said "agents" want is the key to understanding the ridiculous deposit requests. If the agent has received a two month commission it is doubtful the owner is going to want to give back the deposit in any amount. How people continue to be deceived and unaware where they are living is perplexing. It's all about the money in the third world, even at the "HiSo" levels of 40,000.baht a month apartment(condo) rentals.

So you're assuming all Thai landlords are going to rob people of their deposits and will have to be lucky to get them back?

All my rentals have been from Englishmen so far and all deposits have been returned promptly. This is probably no coincidence either because I'm not into Thai style apartments.

In both agencies I was told that that this is their policy to take two month deposit. I do not quite understand the calculation above. They have a complete information about the customer, including copy of passport, information about the visa etc. If they assume that all customers are criminals, then they need to close their business. On the other hand, it seems to me, that it is much easier for the agency to take a legal action against the customer , then vice versa in case, if the contract is breached.

If you assume all agencies/vendors are criminals, then you need to buy rather than rent. Its much easier for the tenant to leave than it is the vendor recupping damages.

• Like 1

Maximum commission is one month for a full year. Six month contract as per OP would be equivalent to two weeks so your reasoning of its commission orientated has no standing. Deposits should be kept by the agency in order to secure return.

Maximum commission is one month for a full year. Six month contract as per OP would be equivalent to two weeks so your reasoning of its commission orientated has no standing. Deposits should be kept by the agency in order to secure return.

You are a great spokesman for the "rental" agencies in Pattaya, however, the truth remains in the facts and actions on the ground. "Maximum" commission isn't a word which applies, most if not all agencies will get as much as they can muster. The attitude they "will not work for two weeks" applies albeit again an attitude which thinks merely showing an apartment entitles said "agent" to 30,000.baht. Deposits kept by the "agency"? Are you serious? The deposits are spent I repeat for the benefit of the members. Spent. Gone. So deposit "refunds" are coming out of current income, if any?, flow. End of story. You are not dealing with professional people.

Someone recently did a runner from a rental ,owing B60,000..how the owner allowed I don't know.

The police were contacted, requested payment to investigate/stop him/her at immi.

Perhaps the act was not criminal, only civil ???

While the police are "for hire", I doubt they would get involved in a rental dispute at this low level.

People keep posting as if contacting immigration and stopping the foreigner from leaving the Kingdom is an easy process. It isn't. It takes real money to do it quickly and/or a criminal offense of a serious magnitude such as bank robbery or murder. Bar fights or disputes over apartment deposits aren't going to interest anyone other than the parties involved.

• Like 2

Deposits should be kept by the agency in order to secure return.

The list of here-today-gone-tomorrow real estate agents in Pattaya is long enough to make me wonder about that. Given that absolutely anyone can become one that's hardly surprising, of course.

No shortage either of landlords who have been surprised to discover in their properties tenants that the managing agent has "forgotten" to tell the owner about, and forgotten to pass on the rental payments for.

So much scamming and deceit in property in Pattaya.

• Like 1

I had a house in N. Pattaya once at 25K/month & 2 months' deposit.

Rented it for 2 years from a Thai "lady" living in Germany, married to a German. I was working abroad for a few weeks when, to my horror, the "lady" had called my wife & asked her to let the pool turn green, & have her sister come take a picture, so she could say there was nobody living there (she was divorcing the German guy).

My ding-bat wife did it. I was FURIOUS!

After 2 years of paying the rent on time & generally keeping the place in good order, the "lady" wanted to keep my deposit, because I let my dog in the swimming pool!!!!!!!!

I managed to get her German phone number and basically had to stalk her relentlessly.

I think it also helped immensely that business took me to Germany shortly after we had moved and I called from a German phone number.

I eventually got 40,000 of my 50,000 baht back.

FIRST THING YOU DO when renting a place in Thailand is go through the entire place with the owner/agent, and take a few hundred dated pictures, with them in the shots.

I rented an apartment in BKK once & they dinged me for every little piss-willy thing wrong with the place when I left, 99% of which were present when I moved in.

edit: Oh yeah, just don't pay the last 2 months' rent, seems to be the only sure-fire way to get your deposit back. Of course don't trash the place either.

Edited by jaywalker
  • Like 1

i rented a out a place in BKK to a chinese/Canadian working with UN

He did not pay the last months rent, against me not returning his deposit, and I later found stuff missing, which he returned, after I told him I'd contact the UN.."thought it was his".

I hate these people who believe that everyone has their low principles.

He did not pay the last months rent, against me not returning his deposit, and I later found stuff missing, which he returned, after I told him I'd contact the UN.."thought it was his".

You would contact the UN and say what? Sometimes a joke need to be laughed at. You didn't rent the apartment to the UN did you? Talk about "low principles". Threats to contact someone's employer is as low as it gets.

You would contact the UN and say what? Sometimes a joke need to be laughed at. You didn't rent the apartment to the UN did you? Talk about "low principles". Threats to contact someone's employer is as low as it gets.

2 years at 65K pm

It's not the principle it"s the money

Edited by DisparateDan
  • Like 1

I rented a house on the dark side for 2 years owned by a Thai lady living in Malaysia. Paid 2 months deposit and the monthly rental to the sister who lived down the road. Gave one months notice and deposit returned on the day I left. No problem whatsoever. Even thanked me for keeping the house in good order.

Not trying to be clever, but just trying to put some balance in the thread.

• Like 2

The thing I resent is the cleaning fee, which I've paid up to 1,000 baht. The owner rents out apartments, cleaning is part of the business. If a renter leaves the place clean, as I do, there should not be any fee for something they do already. I'd be OK with it if all the money went to the cleaners, but I'm sure they get only a 100 baht bonus or some such.