Phuket park chief, fearing for his life, requests transfer

Lite Beer

Phuket park chief, fearing for his life, requests transfer

Darawan Naknakhon

1411364011_1-org.jpg

Kitipat Tharapiban, pictured during the destruction of illegal restaurants at Sai Kaew Beach

PHUKET: The chief of Sirinart Marine National Park has requested a transfer, telling his boss that he fears for his life.

On Thursday the Director of National Parks, Samak Donnapee, revealed that he had received the transfer request.

He said that the park chief, Kitipat Tharapiban, had cited stress from constant threats by investors and angry people who had been the targets of demolition of illegal construction of restaurants and bars at Nai Thon, Nai Yang and Sai Kaew beaches.

Mr Kitipat said he had had to change his cell phone number many times and that gunmen had been seen in the park area trying to shoot him. At the end of July he reported receiving death threats.

Mr Samak said, I understand the pressure Mr Kitipat is facing right now. He is sleeping in a bullet-proof room that Cheewapap [Cheewatam, his predecessor] built when he was the park chief.

I have discussed his transfer request with Nitiphon Chotiban [Director General of the Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation], who will decide whether or not to grant it.

However, seven or eight park chiefs have also requested transfers so Mr Kitipat can decide where he want to go [if his request is granted].

Mr Cheewapap, too, requested a transfer out of Sirinart after coming under pressure to accept bribes, along with threats if he did not. He is now in charge of the Royal Forestry Departments Crime Suppression Division.

Mr Kitipat took over from him in May this year, shortly before the military coup.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-park-chief-fearing-for-his-life-requests-transfer-48829.php

tpn.jpg

-- Phuket News 2014-09-22

he seems to be doing a good. Give him military protection.

(Normally would be a police job - you know why I am not suggesting them)

It is a shame, that officials in Thailand who are doing their job against wrongdoers and corruption are under threat

Yeah I'm stunned the way they are treating these threats so routinely. Wonder how many park chiefs are requesting a transfer to this opening?

On a not so serious note "gunmen had been seen in the park area “trying to shoot” him", no one calls the police, or are they the ones trying to shoot him, if not these are some seriously bad gunmen, if trying to shoot him, or is he a very fast runner and these guys fly a "I'm a gunmen" flag. .

... constant threats by investors and angry people who had been the targets of demolition of illegal construction of restaurants and bars ...

OK ... who's got the muscle? The government or the leeches who want something for nothing?

I wonder if there is going to be a showdown.

Well, we have come to the point in the road where the military has to fish or cut bait. It is time for some tough love, so to speak, like arresting and locking up anyone who makes a threat or who orders a threat to be made.

The question becomes who is in charge, the military or the various mafia clans.

Time to step up!

This is the Military's job. They created the problem and need to bear responsibility for to protect the officials who enforce the laws.

Find those making the threats and throw them in jail, no trial no phone calls.

Fear is a mighty weapon, the threat needs to be dealt with immediately, no matter who they are.

This is the Military's job. They created the problem and need to bear responsibility for to protect the officials who enforce the laws.

Find those making the threats and throw them in jail, no trial no phone calls.

Fear is a mighty weapon, the threat needs to be dealt with immediately, no matter who they are.

How do you figure that the military created the problem?

I was under the impression that the problem was created by corrupt bussiness men, the maffia, the Lands Department and the Forestry Department and that the military want to clear the mess up.