WhatsUp + AIS

prepress

I installed WhatsUp on my iPhone at the request of my cousin in Germany who got no smart phone. He can not use Skype, Line or all the free apps who work over internet for int. calls.

I had some problems to activate WhatsUp. AIS mentioned some roaming settings. But now I can exchange pictures and text messages.

Question:

Is this service free - or will AIS charge me something?

Can I do voice and video calls with WhatsUp?

I guess you mean 'WhatsApp'. Text messages and images use IP and therefor data. That can be 3G/ 4G or wifi. You cannot do voice or video calls as VOIP using WhatsApp. Recommended applications for that are LINE, Tango and Viber.

Yes, off course. My wrong spelling.

Will AIS charge me to send a 2MB picture if using 3G?

Edited by prepress

I had a similar problem, how to communicate with somebody who doesn't have a smartphone. I found that an old messenger called ICQ is the answer... It works on almost every platform (computer MS Windows, Apple OSX or Linux, all smartphones... and if your phone is less smart you probably still can use it as many phones support Java...

ICQ offers the exchange of pictures and messages and you can also talk to another by audio chat, which works better than programs like Skype. I think the Java ICQ version and the web-based messenger support voice calls...

Check it out...., http://www.icq.com

If your cousin does not have a smart phone how will he recieve the message ?

That's a good one.

Yes, a good one.

He receives my messages and pictures. So he must have a smart phone. I will check that. He is 70.

Can not convince him to use LINE ;-)