RO Booster pump issues.

mayview

I have purchased a booster pump system from the US. It delivers adjustable pressure up to 100 PSI with a supply pressure of 30 PSI and somewhat adjustable.

The motor is a Marathon (1/2 HP) and is wired for 220VAC 50/60 Hz. The motor cuts out within minutes and feels very hot. Water flows freely through the system when switched off and for the interval that it runs it achieves the pressure output.

There is an adjustable inlet pressure switch to prevent dry running and a non adjustable max pressure cut-off on the outlet, to prevent membrane damage. The Fluidotech pump outlet pressure is adjustable.

I don’t know how to approach this to get it going and wonder if someone could give me some advice?

Thank you.

Edited by mayview

Are you sure the motor is rated for 50 or 60 hz? My guess is the issue is related to running at 50 hz - which it would not have been designed for use in the states.

Thanks Steve,

The freq is stamped on the motor housing: "HZ 60/50".

"V: 100-120/200-240"

PH 1

Is there anything else I need to see?

Have you verified that the pump is actually correctly wired for 220V?

It wouldn't be the first time the manufacturer got it wrong.

@bankruatsteve motors designed for 50Hz work just fine on 60Hz (run a bit faster), it's the other way round where dragons lurk (it's all about the amount of iron in the magnetic cores). The pump in question has a motor with enough iron for 50Hz even though it's sold in a 60Hz country.

• Like 1

Oops - missed the reverse osmosis RO in the title - all too often read text of messages but title is lost and get egg on face - sorry for misunderstanding - I took it to be a booster pump for home and wondered who wanted 100psi from there taps. whistling.gif

Are you sure the motor is rated for 50 or 60 hz? My guess is the issue is related to running at 50 hz - which it would not have been designed for use in the states.

Thanks Steve,

The freq is stamped on the motor housing: "HZ 60/50".

"V: 100-120/200-240"

PH 1

Is there anything else I need to see?

If the voltage is rated "V: 100-120/200-240" it is most likely that you have to manually switch from 100-120 to 200-240. This is probably done by some revireing at the terminal or possibly, but not likely, with a switch.

If it was automatically switching from 100-120 to 200-240 it would probably be rated "100-240"

If the unit was bought in US it is probably wired for 110V and now needs to be rewired, Should be an easy thing to do and it is probably labled somewhere on the motor how to do this or in the manual.

How do you get supply side 30psi? You never pump from public water supply and most would not be at that pressure.

Thaks Lopburi,

I wasn't clear and I have read your follow on statement/message. Apologies.

I have an Hitachi supply pressure pump on the entry of the supply serving the whole house. The booster pump is connected to an outlet on this line. So the supply to the booster is 30 - 40 PSI (depending on which meter i read :) )

One thing is that US does not have single phase 240 volts as here (even for 240 volt uses)- it is split phase two 120 lines - so be sure this is an export motor designed for single phase 230 volt two wire (plus ground maybe) power.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Split-phase_electric_power

Thank you again.

The motor is marked as Single Phase, I think? (PH 1)

I have checked the input wiring and it is earthed (White Black and Green). Both white and black are switched in the pressure cut-off controllers.

Happy to check further if you lead me.

The motor will likely have some means of switching between 110V and 220V, if possible please post photos of the rating plate, cable inlet and any covers that can be removed (remove the covers) and anything else that may be relevant.

Did it come with instructions?

One thing is that US does not have single phase 240 volts as here (even for 240 volt uses)- it is split phase two 120 lines - so be sure this is an export motor designed for single phase 230 volt two wire (plus ground maybe) power.

I'm pretty sure the US has single phase 240 volt supply from 3-phase system. The 120v supply is from 1/2 phase. Just to say.

I can tell you that 98% of houses in the usa have 220v single phase feeding them.

I can tell you that 98% of houses in the usa have 220v single phase feeding them.

???

US households are primarily 120v, dual phase for 240v.

Unless you're thinking of another usa.

???

US households are primarily 120v, dual phase for 240v.

Unless you're thinking of another usa.

Im thinking of the usa where the people have the right to carry. You are correct houses use 120v but thats fed by 220/240 single phase. Dual phase is something that was phased out before i was born.

Two phase electrical service was used in the early 20th century in which only two circuits were used 90 degrees out phase from each other. Today only single and three phase systems are used in North America. Homes use 240 volt single phase service where there is two seperate 120 volt circuits 180 degrees from each other. Its a great idea because only a single sinewave can be used for two circuits instead of two sinewave!

Let's not get hung up on semantics.

The US uses a single phase 230V supply with a centre (center) tapped secondary providing two 115V supplies that are 180o out of phase, a convenient 230V supply is therefore available from the two ends for those pesky high powered appliances.

That would be called split-supply or bi-phase (but not 2-phase) in the UK.

Our OP's 115/230V pump, if wired correctly, should work just fine on the Thai supply.