what kind of visa to stay more ?

(I've read a lot of topics here, I'm still a bit lost, also because of the new rules...)

I have 3 differents options since I'm under 50 years old and don't want to mary a thai woman.

I have stayed with an ED visa for 3 years in a thai school, I understand thai a bit now, I would like to study thai for 3 another years, but not possible,

so my school offer me to study another language like russian or english...

- choice number 1 : to study another language : 25000 B a year, so 2080 B a month + BTS 570 B + immigration fees : 2250 B every 3 months (taxi+bts included) = 3400 B per month (arround 85 euros)

disadvantage : have to go to school (even if I like it) + interview at the ministry of education each year (ok, not a big deal)

- choice number 2 : to go to a visa agency and request for a B visa : 30000 B a year, so 2500 B a month (arround 60 euros)

but don't know about the fees by plane to exit and reenter since I'm not sure I can go Laos for that, I guess it depends on the visa agency ?

If I understand well I don't need to go immigration every 3 months and the agency do the papers for me ?

But I'm a bit confused on that kind of visa, on the legality of that and even more with the new rules...

what happen if tomorrow the government close my visa agency because they think there is abusive use of the B visa ?

- choice number 3 : the royal choice, but the more expensive : the card thailand elite. 500000 B for 5 years, so 8350 B a month (arround 200 euros)

so for that price you get : VIP lane at airport immigration + limousine car, personnal assitant, -10% on shopping at Siam Paragon and the same on some other malls and hotels... etc

no need to go immigration every 3 months, the personnal assistant do for me the 90 day report. Also this card is transferable one time, so if after 2 years if i'm borred I could resell it for 300k B

the visa is one year, but I'm not sure I have to exit and reenter every year ?

I think it could be a good point if in 5 years I'm interrested by the double nationality french-thai, it prove I'm really interrested by that country (possesors of this card are called "friends of thailand")

but I'm not sure 8 years in the country would be enough to get the double nationality... also I need private class to get a really good level in thai in 5 years

so I don't know what to choose... I have to give an answer to my language school in the next 2 days, after only the choice 2 and 3 will remain...

what would you do ?

the choice number 3 is very expensive to pay as a one shot payment, but it's finally 8350 B per month and has a lot of advantages...

the choice 2 is nice also, but I want to be really sure this is legal and no problem in the future... it would be a nightmare to be blacklisted of the country...

Choice N. 2 is, as you say, illegal.

Choice N. 3 is, as you say, very expensive, and does not give any you right or qualification for future to Thai citizenship or permanent residence.

So excluding these two either you get a new ED visa, for which you can go to a different school if you want to study Thai again, or do repeated double entry tourist visa in Laos and other consulates.

You did not say what country you are from. In most Western countries triple entry tourist visas are available with no questions asked. Extending each of the 3 entries would allow a 9 month stay then return to your home country and repeat.

The thing is, "travel to home country" can cost 25,000 Baht or more, compare to 2,500 Baht approx when going to a nearby country. Also, not everyone has a place to stay in "home country".

• Like 1

disadvantage : have to go to school (even if I like it) + interview at the ministry of education each year (ok, not a big deal)

Just to be correct. One needs to go get a new non-imm ED visa every year, not just an interview.

Just to be correct. One needs to go get a new non-imm ED visa every year, not just an interview.

so this is a new rule, because I have stayed 3 years with the same ED visa, I had just to go immigration every 3 months + interview every year

now if I continue to be student, I have to leave the country each year for a new visa ? My school didn't mention it to me, I will ask them

ok thank you Mr Admin for this information

I've planned to go back to France for one month in mid otober, so I need to go thai embassy in Paris and came back to thailand with a new visa in mid november, right ?

or is it better to go Laos or Cambodgia ? I hope no, else I need to do 2 travels... not sure if doing a new ED visa in Paris is the best option ?

because I rent a condo in bkk, what happen if they refuse a new ED visa ? I guess I have two choices : come back with a tourist visa and remove my things in the condo, or get a thailand elite card ?

I can be student for how many years ? 6 years ? I have 3 years of ED visa already

ok thank you Mr Admin for this information

I've planned to go back to France for one month in mid otober, so I need to go thai embassy in Paris and came back to thailand with a new visa in mid november, right ?

or is it better to go Laos or Cambodgia ? I hope no, else I need to do 2 travels... not sure if doing a new ED visa in Paris is the best option ?

because I rent a condo in bkk, what happen if they refuse a new ED visa ? I guess I have two choices : come back with a tourist visa and remove my things in the condo, or get a thailand elite card ?

I can be student for how many years ? 6 years ? I have 3 years of ED visa already

I think you should get your new visa in Laos before leaving for your trip. You could get a re-entry permit for the 90 day entry the visa gives you and then apply for your extension when you return.

The requirements on the embassy in Paris's website are much more stringent that in Laos. http://www.thaiembassy.fr/fr/visa/visa-non-immigrant-%C2%AB-ed-%C2%BB-education/

wow !

is that the new rules or is it from France only ?

It's written you can get an ED visa if you study thai at least 5 days a week and at least 5 hours a day !!

I cannot belive it !

Ubonjoe did you mean the rules would be different from Laos ?

also now if we study english, russian or japanese does not comply with the new rules ?

I am confused because I didn't have the same informations from my school...

I have done the maths again to include the travel abroad each year :

- choice number 1 : ED visa : 25000 B a year + 10000 B to cambodgia/laos every year, so 3000 B per month + BTS 570 B + immigration fees : 2250 B every 3 months (taxi+bts included)

total = 4300 B per month (arround 110 euros)

- choice number 2 : the card thailand elite. 500000 B for 5 years, so 8350 B per month + 10000 B to cambodgia/laos every year

total = 9200 B per month (arround 230 euros)

wow !

is that the new rules or is it from France only ?

It's written you can get an ED visa if you study thai at least 5 days a week and at least 5 hours a day !!

I cannot belive it !

Ubonjoe did you mean the rules would be different from Laos ?

also now if we study english, russian or japanese does not comply with the new rules ?

I am confused because I didn't have the same informations from my school...

That is only rules that the embassy has set themselves. Laos has not changed their rules they don't have a minimum number of hours requirement.

You can still study any language.

I am certain your school is aware of the new rules. When does your current extension end?

I have done the maths again to include the travel abroad each year :

- choice number 1 : ED visa : 25000 B a year + 10000 B to cambodgia/laos every year, so 3000 B per month + BTS 570 B + immigration fees : 2250 B every 3 months (taxi+bts included)

- choice number 2 : the card thailand elite. 500000 B for 5 years, so 8350 B per month + 10000 B to cambodgia/laos every year

total = 9200 B per month (arround 230 euros)

You do not need to leave the country with to get another one year entry on the PE visa. You can pay 1900 baht at immigration for an extension.

They will also do your 90 day reports at part of your privileges,

ok good for Laos... weird that the french thai embassy define these rules, it's like if thailand prefer to receive Lao immigrant than french... maybe because a lot of french people don't like the rules too much and forget to go back to france... lol

When does your current extension end?

end of november, so I'm 2 months and few days now before my ED visa expire

I don't understand well about going to Laos before to go to France :

so I go to Laos to get a new ED visa, but I don't use it to come back to Thailand and use a re-entry permit, right ?

then I go to France and when I come back I show my new ED visa at Suvarnabhumi ? No problem is it's issued in Laos ?

ok so, I have done the maths again, should be good this time :

- choice number 2 : the card thailand elite. 500000 B for 5 years, so 8350 B per month + 1900 B every 3 months

total = 9000 B per month (arround 220 euros)

so with the PE visa it's twice the price of the ED visa, but no need to go to class, no need to wait at airport immigration + free taxi + reduced prices in some malls + no need to go Chaeng Wattana every 3 months... but required to pay immediatly for 5 years... :-(

it's a bit like the country prefer to host rich foreigners now, so they don't come to work, not so dumb... but these new rules are hard for a lot of falangs :-(

I know a german actor, he has no choice and have to go back to germany : give more jobs to thai people ? ok but thai people cannot play a falang actor...

it's weird not some exemptions have been made for some jobs...

ok good for Laos... weird that the french thai embassy define these rules, it's like if thailand prefer to receive Lao immigrant than french... maybe because a lot of french people don't like the rules too much and forget to go back to france... lol

When does your current extension end?

end of november, so I'm 2 months and few days now before my ED visa expire

I don't understand well about going to Laos before to go to France :

so I go to Laos to get a new ED visa, but I don't use it to come back to Thailand and use a re-entry permit, right ?

then I go to France and when I come back I show my new ED visa at Suvarnabhumi ? No problem is it's issued in Laos ?

I think Paris is setting their requirements for a multiple entry visa and applying them for single entry visas as well.

The embassy in Vientiane is aware that the majority of people applying for a visa are traveling from here and that they will applying for an extension. They leave it up to the MOE and immigration to set the rules for them.

You would enter on your visa when you return to Thailand and then apply for the re-entry permit at immigration and use it to enter Thailand after your trip to France.

You could also wait and get the visa after you return from France and use a re-entry permit for your extension to enter. Then go out to Vientiane for your visa.

- choice number 2 : the card thailand elite. 500000 B for 5 years, so 8350 B per month + 1900 B every 3 months

total = 9000 B per month (arround 220 euros)

No, Thai Elite card requires paid extension only once a year, assuming one never leaves Thailand.

ok thank you

this time it's good then :

- choice number 2 : the card thailand elite. 500000 B for 5 years, so 8350 B per month + 1900 B every year

total = 8500 B per month (arround 210 euros)

ok thank you

this time it's good then :

- choice number 2 : the card thailand elite. 500000 B for 5 years, so 8350 B per month + 1900 B every year

total = 8500 B per month (arround 210 euros)

So have to find someone who want to refund his Elite visa for less than 8500 B per month ... This could be a good solution.