General advice about Phuket

paddycon

Relating to how dangerous Phuket is I have only heard about one incident from word of mouth, an acquaintance of my girlfriend was robbed at gunpoint on his way home from playing badminton. Not a very nice experience I am sure and of course these things happen on Phuket but not as often as some people think. On the other hand, in my home country and in my circle of friends and acquaintances there are numerous accounts of robberies and beatings and bad stuff happening, mostly related to late nights and partying, but nonetheless. And Sweden is considered very safe. Just a simple but empirically founded comparison.

• Like 1

Having lived in Thailand for 9 years, I never made it to Phuket because none of the women from Phuket ever recommended it!

Recently, many have told me it is downright dangerous at night even for them. I'm just conveying what 5 have told me recently. I have no opinion other than what was conveyed to me.

Having lived over 18 years in Phuket, I have never considered Phuket dangerous for the average person. For sure there are dangers - anywhere in the world - but downright dangerous in Phuket is a complete exaggeration for the vast majority of visitors.

Depends on an individual's definition of the term, "dangerous."

I certainly wouldn't ride the coast road late at night, even sober. For me, you may get through a few times, but for sure one night you will be chased, kicked off your bike, and robbed.

I wouldn't hire a jet-ski, and then tell the operator I'm not paying for a mythical scratch, that's going to be a dangerous situation, that could also see me arrested and gaoled, for not paying. So, whilst I may not have been assaulted, I'm in gaol - still a dangerous thing.

I would consider telling a tuk-tuk driver I'm only paying the price we agreed on at the start of the journey, not the price he changed it to at the end of the journey, as also being dangerous. I would consider being circled by other drivers, possibly some of them armed, as being in a dangerous situation.

These are just a few real dangers to "the average person" on Phuket, and this "average person" has done nothing wrong, except for googling "dangers of holidaying on Phuket" before coming here. :)

Having lived in Thailand for 9 years, I never made it to Phuket because none of the women from Phuket ever recommended it!

Recently, many have told me it is downright dangerous at night even for them. I'm just conveying what 5 have told me recently. I have no opinion other than what was conveyed to me.

Having lived over 18 years in Phuket, I have never considered Phuket dangerous for the average person. For sure there are dangers - anywhere in the world - but downright dangerous in Phuket is a complete exaggeration for the vast majority of visitors.

coffee1.gif ...hmmmm...well, I suppose such a viewpoint may come because you have a vested interest(s) there but would agree slightly that ‘downright’ was not the best choice of word in this context. Would I advise the wee bairns of my extended family to go to Phuket? No I wouldn’t. Would I advise them to visit other parts of Thailand? Yep, most definitely. Any Frenchman asking the same question I would, without reservation, advise they all go there.

@NKM

Sigh sigh - if you googled anywhere in the world you will find 'bad' stories, even where you currently live.

"if you googled anywhere in the world you will find 'bad' stories" - sure, one off incidents of crime, but not sanctioned rip offs, scams and extortions that have been going on for years, and high crime areas that are never policed.

"even where you currently live" - I have been using a VPN for a while now, as advised by you during a PM, ages ago, when I was having trouble with many duplicate posts on the forum.

So, are there NO dangers on Phuket that people should be aware of?

Would you ride you bike, late at night, along the coast road, regularly?

@NKM

Sigh sigh - if you googled anywhere in the world you will find 'bad' stories, even where you currently live.

Glad to see I'm not the only one who doesn't believe he lives in Patong nor Thailand.

See above post.

I've been living in Patong for around 2 years now, with no intention of moving to Rawai anytime soon. :)

@NKM

Glad to see I'm not the only one who doesn't believe he lives in Patong nor Thailand.

See above post.

I've been living in Patong for around 2 years now, with no intention of moving to Rawai anytime soon. smile.png

Lots of folks here in Rawai are very pleased and relieved to know that.

In the interest of fairness, we've all agreed not to move to smelly Patong. wink.png

Edited by Chainsaw

coffee1.gif ...hmmmm...well, I suppose such a viewpoint may come because you have a vested interest(s) there but would agree slightly that ‘downright’ was not the best choice of word in this context. Would I advise the wee bairns of my extended family to go to Phuket? No I wouldn’t. Would I advise them to visit other parts of Thailand? Yep, most definitely. Any Frenchman asking the same question I would, without reservation, advise they all go there.

I am aware LIK has business interests on Phuket, but have never felt his posts have represented his conflict of interests.

However, some other members, also with business/property interests here, try to sll Phuket like a used car salesman. smile.png

@NKM

See above post.

I've been living in Patong for around 2 years now, with no intention of moving to Rawai anytime soon. smile.png

Lots of folks here in Rawai are very pleased and relieved to know that.

In the interest of fairness, we've all agreed not to move to smelly Patong. wink.png

Of course, Patong really isn't part of Phuket, is it? I mean, when most people talk about Phuket, they don't mean Patong, do they? cheesy.gif

I would advise the OP to check out Rawai at the Southern tip of Phuket, if he's looking for somewhere other than the sordid part of the island.

Excellent beaches (Nai Harn, Ya Nui, Laem Ka and many boat trips available from Rawai Beach) Lots of great inexpensive restaurants serving a variety of cuisines from many nationalities.

Many small, reasonably priced resorts.

A big bonus is the fresh, clean air!

Come on down!

Edited by Chainsaw

@NKM

"if you googled anywhere in the world you will find 'bad' stories" - sure, one off incidents of crime, but not sanctioned rip offs, scams and extortions that have been going on for years, and high crime areas that are never policed.

"even where you currently live" - I have been using a VPN for a while now, as advised by you during a PM, ages ago, when I was having trouble with many duplicate posts on the forum.

Pardon my bad phrasing. I was referring to all our readers living around the world. I well know you live in Phuket. My point was that bad stories can be found everywhere.

Sure there are plenty of dangers here - for folks who don't take care, are not aware of their surroundings, and worst of all get very drunk. Over the years I have spend nights out in very dubious parts of West Africa and South America. Never had a problem so long as I followed my rules above. And no I would not drive a m/bike anytime of the day.

@NKM

Pardon my bad phrasing. I was referring to all our readers living around the world. I well know you live in Phuket. My point was that bad stories can be found everywhere.

Sure there are plenty of dangers here - for folks who don't take care, are not aware of their surroundings, and worst of all get very drunk. Over the years I have spend nights out in very dubious parts of West Africa and South America. Never had a problem so long as I followed my rules above. And no I would not drive a m/bike anytime of the day.

I consider myself well traveled, as you do LIK, my point being, many prospective tourists may now be putting Phuket, whether rightly, or wrongly, along side "West Afirica and South America" - which to me, sends a message to authorities here that Phuket has some issues, that must be addressed, or fear being a "no go zone" for those tourists with real money to spend.

We all know it's Phuket's "image" that most concerns authorities.

Do they really know how that image is slipping?

Arresting the offender of a violent crime against a tourist is no good if there is another violent crime committed against a tourist tomorrow, and the next day, and the day after etc.

@NKM

I consider myself well traveled, as you do LIK, my point being, many prospective tourists may now be putting Phuket, whether rightly, or wrongly, along side "West Afirica and South America" - which to me, sends a message to authorities here that Phuket has some issues, that must be addressed, or fear being a "no go zone" for those tourists with real money to spend.

We all know it's Phuket's "image" that most concerns authorities.

Do they really know how that image is slipping?

Arresting the offender of a violent crime against a tourist is no good if there is another violent crime committed against a tourist tomorrow, and the next day, and the day after etc.

Believe me, guv, as an outside visitor with no biznit interests and not having 180 years living there the rot is much clearer to see upon each visit. Then again it could be I remember it better than it actually was, but now the image definitely isn’t what’s in the tin. If one is nailed to the perch in any location for a long time squawking ‘Ships? I see no Ships’ serious change is not always seen until it’s too late. As for the authorities, does anybody really think any Thai really gives a rat’s ass what the farang thinks? Observe the tragic comedy over the poor murdered peeps on Koh Tao for example...

For the benefit of folk considering a visit can you please define ‘average’?

I’m sure this poor Ruskie lass considered herself average...sad.png

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/764101-man-offers-russian-ride-to-phuket-hotel-then-assaults-her/#entry8450476