Tourism Minister to visit Koh Tao tomorrow

Lite Beer

Tourism Minister to visit Koh Tao tomorrow

SURAT THANI, 27 September 2014 (NNT) – Minister of Tourism and Sports Kobkarn Wattanavrangkul is scheduled to travel to the island of Koh Tao tomorrow after the murder of two Britons in order to ensure sufficient security measures for visitors.

Surat Thani Governor Chatpong Chatphuti disclosed that during Ms Kobkarn’s visit to Koh Tao on September 28, the minister will be holding discussions with both state officials and private business operators in the area to hear opinions about the local crime problem and brainstorm solutions.

The visit is hoped to bring about more effective preventive measures against crime following the recent death of two British backpackers on a beach of Koh Tao which has put Thai tourism in a bad light in the eyes of foreigners.

The governor said he is planning to request a budget from the Department of Tourism for the installation of additional CCTV cameras and street lights on the island in order to assure tourists of their safety. The allocation would also be spent on a campaign to refresh the image of Koh Tao in preparation for the upcoming high season late this year.

Earlier, the Tourism and Sports Minister made a suggestion that local entrepreneurs and residents should join forces to protect visitors from criminals and a police station should be set up at every tourism destination across Thailand, including popular islands. She pointed out that there were only about 800 tourist police officers in the country which was inadequate.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-09-27 footer_n.gif

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does he really want to go to Koh Tao ???.

Have he not been told that Koh Tao is a haunted Island and will bring bad fortune and that all who visit or works there will be haunted by ghosts ( Phi Lok ) the rest of their lives...

maybe someone should tell him or any other Thai friend who plans to visit there...

I heard this from a friend of a friend whos girlfriends friend is a Thai..so it is certainly true crazy.gifcrazy.gifcrazy.gif so beware of Ghosts on that Island

Edited by sabaitoo
  • Like 1

Have he not been told that Koh Tao is a haunted Island and will bring bad fortune and that all who visit or works there will be haunted by ghosts ( Phi Lok ) the rest of their lives...

maybe someone should tell him or any other Thai friend who plans to visit there...

I heard this from a friend of a friend whos girlfriends friend is a Thai..so it is certainly true crazy.gifcrazy.gifcrazy.gif so beware of Ghosts on that Island

Ummm... I think the Minister is a woman... or at least described as such in the OP

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I heard this from a friend of a friend whos girlfriends friend is a Thai..so it is certainly true crazy.gif.pagespeed.ce.dzDUUqYcHZ.gif alt=crazy.gif width=20 height=27> crazy.gif.pagespeed.ce.dzDUUqYcHZ.gif alt=crazy.gif width=20 height=27> crazy.gif.pagespeed.ce.dzDUUqYcHZ.gif alt=crazy.gif width=20 height=27> so beware of Ghosts on that Island

Ummm... I think the Minister is a woman... or at least described as such in the OP

Well let hope she dont believe in ghosts then w00t.gif

Edited by sabaitoo

About the only ones who seem to be avoiding a trip to inspect . offer suggestions . give press release.etc are the monks. And they may be involved in some manner which has not as yet be announced to the public.

One thing that cannot be denied is that to date no one seems to not have a theory and/or a critisium or just about every aspect/individual invoved or mentioned. To date it appears that there are a passal of folks who have little knowledge,of protocal, investigive methods, proceedures.etc. It would be nice to see the learning curve intrduce or expanded in a classroom instead of at a crime scene w3here true profissionls are needed/required.

Thailand's Minister of Tourism and Sports is an unqualified female that used to the CEO of Toshiba Thailand thanks to an investment her parents made years ago.

I guess it is safe to say she will not be wearing a bikini there....or is she ugly.

• Like 1

Here is a good 0ne for the tourism Minister-today as I was out on the motorbike I followed a Thai lady on her motorbike across a road where appearently that was not allowed-she was two seconds ahead of me when a traffic policeman stopped her-very quickly she handed him something and left-he turned to me immediately and proceeded with the normal BS that I would have to pay Baht 500 -pen poised to write but waiting for me to say "do I pay here or at the police station".I refused to pay him so he wrote the ticket.Poicemen are supposed to be showing a clean example to the public since they are in power-instead they are dirtier than the normal public-go figure,This is not the end of the story.Monday I will go down to speak to the big boss.If they are serious about stopping corruption and the unfair targeting of foreigners visiting Thailand then why do they not have some corruption hotlines established in every major center.Being unfair to tourists will certainly drive them away,especially when they are targeted like this.In any normal country temporary tresident tourists should be forgiven for not knowing the local laws and given a warning-instead they are targeted as easy marks here in Thailand.and that to me is totally unacceptable.

• Like 1

Here is a good 0ne for the tourism Minister-today as I was out on the motorbike I followed a Thai lady on her motorbike across a road where appearently that was not allowed-she was two seconds ahead of me when a traffic policeman stopped her-very quickly she handed him something and left-he turned to me immediately and proceeded with the normal BS that I would have to pay Baht 500 -pen poised to write but waiting for me to say "do I pay here or at the police station".I refused to pay him so he wrote the ticket.Poicemen are supposed to be showing a clean example to the public since they are in power-instead they are dirtier than the normal public-go figure,This is not the end of the story.Monday I will go down to speak to the big boss.If they are serious about stopping corruption and the unfair targeting of foreigners visiting Thailand then why do they not have some corruption hotlines established in every major center.Being unfair to tourists will certainly drive them away,especially when they are targeted like this.In any normal country temporary tresident tourists should be forgiven for not knowing the local laws and given a warning-instead they are targeted as easy marks here in Thailand.and that to me is totally unacceptable.

Since he stopped the Thai lady first and you suggest she "paid" him how is that unfair targeting of tourists only?

• Like 1

The problem with arresting a farang is that if the case in not 100% proven and it looks like a setup or scapegoat the press will be even worse. Farang will never want to come to Thailand for fear of being used as a scapegoat. That will open up another can of worms for the tourist industry.

Their only saving grace is to find the real killers and bring them to justice. And in doing so the punishment better fit the crime or that will be even another can of worms.

• Like 2

refresh the image of Koh Tao by supplying the missing 15% of the tourist murders it needs someone to come down and kick ass to arrest person or persons who are obviously being protected by the local police possibly the gangster with downs syndrome.

Back to topic. Arresting the murderers should be her priority if she wants tourism to continue. Then put safety nets in place, like removing corruption at all levels.

As a Tourist Minister, if she does her job right, her concerned is tourism and not crime.

You don't seriously expect the Ministry of Tourism and Sport to start solving crimes, are you?

She pointed out that there were only about 800 tourist police officers in the country which was inadequate.

inadequate for what ? increasing revenues from extortion, drug dealing, blackmail and various other crimes ?

It's not the numbers of officers, it's the quality. The BIB and a lot of associates are nothing more than money making operations, dressed up to look like there may be some form of law and order. It's a lot worse in those Southern Islands.

She will be given a glorious tour and told the obligatory lies that there are no drugs or binge drinking going on there, no mafia and underworld. Everything perfect, except for this one "incident". She will leave and everything will be like before, except from a couple of CCTVs here and there operated by the ultra competent local police.

Please prove me wrong!

Edited by BestBitterPhuket
  • Like 1

People might lose their jobs and livelihoods? Tough shit!

Hit them where it hurts and then maybe someone will talk!

So Noi657, your saying, collective punishment for people who have absolute no clue, no connection to a crime is OK?

If that's the case, I hope Immigration will deport you back to your country tomorrow as there are quite a few British criminals hiding in Thailand and as you're British, you need to be punished too.

What a bulls##t.