Sports Day frustration

brianp0803

What are teachers experience/suggestions about sports day?

It seems many academic classes are skipped for a couple weeks to prepare for sports day.

Although school can't be all academic, it seems to go overboard in Thailand.

Suggestions/thoughts about how to minimize academic impact or do you think a valuable part of high school?

The last school I worked at had quarterly exams where one week was for preparing and one week was for the test. So 8 weeks a year dedicated just to testing. Then the kids would have special events all the time. Sports week was just one of many things that got in the way. I had an enormous amount of material to cover, I didn't say teach. There is no way to actually teach if you are interrupted all the time. I might introduce a topic and do one activity or review.

Since you have no control, you can only just accept and make the best with your time. Try to reduce the amount of time you waste in the class.

All I can really say is that I fully understand your situation.

• Like 2

Wow. This must be the Thai way-a week of study during school hours before midterms and finals. Can't expect students to study for finals during social media time.

Part of the frustration is it disrupts the planning and flow.

But the 2 weeks before sports week don't plan tests and expect many canceled classes and students missing class.

I've tried to suggest that missed classes means extra homework but maybe that is being too strict.

I've tried to suggest that missed classes means extra homework but maybe that is being too strict.

The problem with homework is you have a moral responsibility to check it, to correct it, the remember if there was confusion created by your instructions and learn from them, and on top of all that, many just copy others homework. I'd suggest only, leave the homework nonsense to the Thai teachers and subjects. Life's too short and I never did homework in high school either. On this point, I realized just today, that...smart phones are better than drug use. I'm much rather have my students hooked on the facebook etc. stuff than drugs like many in the west were at this important age.

I hear you. No communication even when it's about essential dates like start of the exams or something.

False information!

Let it slide... You don't matter and they clearly don't care about the academic side of things. (They let some fanatical woman rant too long most mornings, wrecking the 1st period classes of the whole school).

• Like 1

I think world peace day was the same time as finals week and there was a long presentation while many students were reviewing for their final exams that day.

Some students tried to get clarity on some topics but were returned to the lineup.

The brilliant speeches "peace is a human right" was more important for students than that days final exams.

Priorities

I start off complaining about lost classes due to sports day and now defending other activities.

I teach math and think that is important- along with other subjects.

Social interaction and creativity is also important.

My frustration with sports is day is frequent interruption without warning.

Hmmm..Maybe too much focus on other activities (although in the right proportion good)

My most favorite game at primary school set up's is the basket game.

Little kids are standing on cheep plastic chairs, mostly on cemented ground, while one kid's trying to toss the ball into the other kid's basket.

They really take this game serious and various soldiers are pretending to protect the kids from the ball.

Aeehhh...Free Fall.....facepalm.gif

post-158336-0-69817400-1412237074_thumb.

Edited by lostinisaan
  • Like 1