TAT, Single Visa hopes to help boost tourism UN admires Thai for speedy recovery

webfact

TAT, Single Visa hopes to help boost tourism UN admires Thai for speedy recovery

BANGKOK, 29 September 2014 (NNT)-The Tourism Authority of Thailand plans to promote a single-visa scheme for foreign tourists to South East Asia, while the United Nations and the World Tourism Organization have expressed admiration for Thailand's proper handling of the situation and resolve to finalize the initiative with speed.

The TAT Governor Dr. Thong Khon, and the Minister of Tourism of Cambodia Mr. Thawatchai Arunyik have also discussed the official launch of the Single Visa Scheme.

Five countries - Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia and Myanmar - agreed in 2005 to relax immigration procedures to attract more non-ASEAN visitors to the region under the framework of Ayeyawady-Chao Phraya-Mekong Economic Cooperation. They created the "Five Countries One Destination" campaign and the ACMEC Single Visa to attract tourists from outside the region, especially from Europe, North America and Australia.

Tourists applying for a visa to enter any one of these countries would automatically be allowed entry to the other four countries under the scheme, which is similar to Europe's Schengen system.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-09-29 footer_n.gif

• Like 1

Agreed in 2005 but presumably never implemented? Or did I nod off at an important bit?

Having one tourist visa for all ACMEC members would be outstanding. If a tourist gets a visa from a Lao Embassy, but has to fly in via Bangkok, how's that going to work?

Also - does this mean free rights of passage for all ACMEC natives between their countries?

Can't help but think that there's a bit of detail to work out yet,,,,,

Edited by jpinx
  • Like 1

All these countries mentioned like Laos, Myanmar, Vietname and Cambo dai should all refrain from doing any business with Thailand or entering into any joint deals especially since thailand and thais considered all these countries and their people like dirt. I really hope that all these countries have have a sense or pride and dignity for a change and reciprocate thais the same way that they are being treated.

This subject passes the media every year or so.. but never happens....

===========>>

Indeed, but does anyone know what stage of implementation they are actually at?

Oh, advanced stage I'd say. At least the OP mentions that TAT plans to promote the non-existing scheme.

Somehow that almost sound like a scam though blink.png

Don't see that implemented tomorrow...

Cambodia 20 USD visa.

Thailand Visa on arrival free...

Going to need to agree on payment or not... Then who keeps the money....

Anyway TAT plans ... Should be ready for 2025... rolleyes.gif

------

Also might become a hard hit for Visa runners if it ever works...

Am I right in thinking that Thailand refused to participate previously? Now they appear to be taking credit for the scheme.

Anyway, I would have thought the other four countries, who don't currently offer anything like Thailand's 30 day admission at the border, would have much more to gain out of this than Thailand.

Thailand has understandably been dragging its heels, the visa basically makes it a little easier to visit surrounding countries. They are probably hoping the extra influx of tourists wanting to visit surrounding countries will make up for it.

Edited by Scully

Am I right in thinking that Thailand refused to participate previously? Now they appear to be taking credit for the scheme.

I thought that too -- thanks for mentioning it ;)

Give a man a rod and teach him to fish ........ever heard that saying ?

Instead of a fish ?

Yes I a sure you have ....

Thais claim to have invented that saying .

Am I surprised by anything ?

No .

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

while the United Nations and the World Tourism Organization have expressed admiration

Do the UN really care?

Does the UN really matters

Obviously to TAT or they wouldn't do a press release

What does ACMEC stand for?

Ayeyawady-Chao Phraya-Mekong Economic Cooperation Strategy (ACMEC).

Found in this 2005 article

http://www.asiantribune.com/news/2005/12/15/frank-candid-discussions-mark-asean-summit

Plus official Chairman report of the 11th Asian Summit with one reference to ACMEC:

"31. We also appreciated the valuable contribution of sub-regional cooperation framework aimed at narrowing the development gap and accelerating the integration of new members, as such as the Greater Mekong Sub-region (GMS) and Ayeyawady-Chao Phraya-Mekong Economic Cooperation Strategy (ACMEC)."

http://www.asean.org/news/item/chairman-s-statement-of-the-11th-asean-summit-one-vision-one-identity-one-community

Edited by rubl
  • Like 1

Another piece of tripe from the TAT...........all they're interested in is their budget.........Prayuth should well be able to see through this trash........

Tourists still get treated with contempt everywhere........the whole tourism philosophy and thought process of the authorities needs to change....it's 2014 now....major crimes against foreigners remain unsolved....scams abound everywhere.........they need to accept that there's big issues here and work to formulate massive change!

Agreed in 2005 but presumably never implemented? Or did I nod off at an important bit?

Having one tourist visa for all ACMEC members would be outstanding. If a tourist gets a visa from a Lao Embassy, but has to fly in via Bangkok, how's that going to work?

Also - does this mean free rights of passage for all ACMEC natives between their countries?

Can't help but think that there's a bit of detail to work out yet,,,,,

Maybe you should just read the OP. It has the answer to your question... "Tourists applying for a visa to enter any one of these countries would automatically be allowed entry to the other four countries under the scheme". So tourists applying for a Laos visa will be allowed to enter Thailand. Can you really not understand what the article is about?

Not much detail to work out. If you have a visa you're in. It's very simple.

Don't see that implemented tomorrow...

Cambodia 20 USD visa.

Thailand Visa on arrival free...

Going to need to agree on payment or not... Then who keeps the money....

Anyway TAT plans ... Should be ready for 2025... rolleyes.gif

------

Also might become a hard hit for Visa runners if it ever works...

Thailand does not have a visa on arrival scheme. For many nationalities they have visa-free entry. But I can't see how this is good for Thailand, as most are allowed here visa-free, so what does it matter if they have a visa for Cambodia? It would be better if all the countries involved just offered a 90-day stay without visa. That's the way to attract tourists, not by making them buy a visa. Most of these countries will lost out. If someone visits all of these countries now, they will pay a visa fee to 4 of them. If they visit all 5 in the future, then only one country will get a visa fee. So three will lose out. It's not a well thought-out scheme at all.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

while the United Nations and the World Tourism Organization have expressed admiration

Do the UN really care?

Does the UN really matters

Obviously to TAT or they wouldn't do a press release

The point is did the UN say anything? or is it TAT trying to make out there is international support for this visa. IMO the UN never said anyhting!

• Like 1