Is Thailand friendly?

buhi

The short answer is a definite YES, then you come up against the Government officials, the lazy shop worker and othjers who see you as an ATM, but in general most are friendly and helpful. It is the only plus going for the country apart from the weather.

weather

..food

...cost of living

...moral flexibility

...beaches

...distance from major war zones

• Like 1

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I live in Thailand, have a wonderful Thai GF and some Thai friends, although not many, but the same goes for farang-friends. I keep to myself, don't go out drinking, I just enjoy life very sabai-sabai with GF and my dogs.. In 15 years I had only two times somewhat problems with Thai, both times it ended with talking, not fighting. I have a very simple rule; treat people the same way you want to be treated, works like a charm! Give respect, receive respect, if you live like that then you will find Thailand a very friendly country.. Just my 2 cents..

• Like 1

No different to any other country in the world. Some people are diamonds, salt of the earth types, others friendly, some sometimeish, some racist, some arrogant, some ignorant..blah, blah, blah. For example, the old 70-year-old lady that collects plastic down our street tries to buy me fruit every time she spots me at the fruit stall. She's so kind it hurts. We talk every day and have become friends. On the other hand, the night-shift condo security guard won't get up to swipe me in even if i have 20 shopping bags, a rucksack, a baby and a pushchair in my hand - and that's his job!

This is life.

• Like 2

It is an interesting question but, inevitably, the responses are coloured by culture. In my culture politeness is typified by saying please and thank you. Holding the door open for the person behind you, standing to one side on an escalator to allow those in a hurry through, giving up your seat to the elderly and so on. If I use my culture as a barometer then what would the answer be?

And money doesn't neccessarily make it better. I remember going for dinner with my ex and her asking if her family could join us. Thinking she meant her mum, dad and brother I agreed. When the bill was handed to me for the 14 people I paid (fortunately it was not too expensive). In my culture I would expect 13 thank yous. I got none. Not one. Not even a smile, a wai or a goodbye. That infuriated me and the situation was never repeated. Because I let my cultural expectations colour my view. I don't know what the required form is in Thailand when that happens but i have only lived here seven years!!

How is it possible to be friends with people you have absolutely nothing in common with. Those who claim to have good Thai friends are simply deluded. Only when the money runs out will they see how quick so called friends disappear. To the Thais who have money a farang is just a token to gain status. In general , your money is welcome , you are tolerated.

• Like 1

How is it possible to be friends with people you have absolutely nothing in common with. Those who claim to have good Thai friends are simply deluded. Only when the money runs out will they see how quick so called friends disappear. To the Thais who have money a farang is just a token to gain status. In general , your money is welcome , you are tolerated.

That's a very bitter viewpoint. I have many things in common with my colleagues and my neighbors and my partner.

It is silly to think that a farang adds status.

Edited by jdinasia
  • Like 1

Friendly or friends, close friends.

My post came about because of a realisation I had only one friend, true friend, we go back to childhood, grew up in the same neighbourhood, went to school together and now years later can still communicate at a REAL level. Only my wife can understand me like that and my son just knows of our bond. I do not mean friendly like most here interpret it, I mean as in friend.

I stated before and some get it, Thai trust no one but family!

• Like 1

Without wishing to appear to be conceited , there are few countries left in this world to which I have not paid a visit.

I have always found, with the possible exception of Japan, wherein live the world's greatest racists and xenophobes, that people have treated me in the manner with which I have treated them, therefore if I find people to rude and boorish , I take a look at how I am behaving towards them before making any judgement.

It might not always be correct, but it is not a bad place to start.

OK I back down, as most interpret the word friendly as how I described polite, civil, pleasant. Thai are the most pleasant people I have ever encountered, but friends outside family?

Thai's are very friendly to your face, and the next thing they will be talking behind your back.

I have a few I could call friends here who are very friendly and my wife and family are too, but outside those I take each as they come.

cheesy.gif Here is a day in the life. I came from the U.S. in a state not known to be friendly. I go back to visit every year.

Day 1: stranger lady with kids makes a joke to me while we wait in line at Toys 'R Us. See her again in another store, we continue to talk.

Day 2: strangers all talk and laugh in line at Home Depot.

Day 3: strangers talk to me while waiting in line for the elevator.

Back to Thailand:....9 years and not a word or acknowledgement of my existence (bar crowd not included).

I see it in a similar way, but cannot agree with your last sentense whoever you mean, expats or Thais.

The friendliest, politest, most openminded folks i met in Mexico, NewZealand, South Africa, Namibia and Malaysia. Americans are a nice bunch as well as long as they dont work for the government or the mafia.

cheesy.gif Here is a day in the life. I came from the U.S. in a state not known to be friendly. I go back to visit every year.

Day 1: stranger lady with kids makes a joke to me while we wait in line at Toys 'R Us. See her again in another store, we continue to talk.

Day 2: strangers all talk and laugh in line at Home Depot.

Day 3: strangers talk to me while waiting in line for the elevator.

Back to Thailand:....9 years and not a word or acknowledgement of my existence (bar crowd not included).

Had the same experience.

Is Thailand friendly?

Thailand is very friendly to the following Americans (most favored at the top):

Ben Franklin

Ulysses S Grant

Andrew Jackson

Alexander Hamilton

Abraham Lincoln

Tom Jefferson

George Washington

Cheers

What about Jefferson Davis?

It is an interesting question but, inevitably, the responses are coloured by culture. In my culture politeness is typified by saying please and thank you. Holding the door open for the person behind you, standing to one side on an escalator to allow those in a hurry through, giving up your seat to the elderly and so on. If I use my culture as a barometer then what would the answer be?

I find Thai's very polite to each other, probably because they realize giving offence will cause some Thai nut-job to take a gun or knife to them.

As for friendly, never, as a previous poster stated, they have family, so don't bother with friends (unless they want something).

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican
  • Like 1

Thai's are friendly but they observe your personal business and I've had them walk right into my house just to look around like I'm in a zoo. But, at work (I was a teacher), if you have issues they will not back you. Get in a fender bender all of a sudden you have 20 withnesses and its your fault because you have $$$$, but not for a murder.

Enjoy the safe beaches with your wrist band and electronic ankle braclet, not water proof for diving and $$$ deposit. It helps the gangs who rob you track you more easily.

It makes it easier to ID you at the hospital and bill you I.A.W. which hotel you stay in. Leave gifts and food in your luggage on the bus sleeping while the thiefs down below will enjoy your treats and help you get his cousins taxi to continue the Thai experience, don't worry about the meter its for a dash decoration only.

WELCOME,COME BACK WHEN YOU HAVE MORE CASH AND A NEW PASSPORT AND ATM CARDS.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Without wishing to appear to be conceited , there are few countries left in this world to which I have not paid a visit.

I have always found, with the possible exception of Japan, wherein live the world's greatest racists and xenophobes, that people have treated me in the manner with which I have treated them, therefore if I find people to rude and boorish , I take a look at how I am behaving towards them before making any judgement.

It might not always be correct, but it is not a bad place to start.

No different to any other country in the world. Some people are diamonds, salt of the earth types, others friendly, some sometimeish, some racist, some arrogant, some ignorant..blah, blah, blah. For example, the old 70-year-old lady that collects plastic down our street tries to buy me fruit every time she spots me at the fruit stall. She's so kind it hurts. We talk every day and have become friends. On the other hand, the night-shift condo security guard won't get up to swipe me in even if i have 20 shopping bags, a rucksack, a baby and a pushchair in my hand - and that's his job!

This is life.

These 2 posts more or less nails it for me. I don't live in Thailand - just spend 6 months of winter there, my base is the UK, but I also travel to different parts of the world trying to spend a month or more in one place. I guess you can get a different perspective if you are somewhere permanently and don't often see other places. I talk to people in the UK who rarely travel but will offer an opinion on the Spanish, Greeks or whoever and they may be right for all I know. They also have different opinions on what constitutes a friend. In my experience of Thai folks (I was married to a Thai - a lovely person) - is that they overuse the word by my standards ( my opinion, only!). UK people also have different ideas of what is a friend. A lot of (UK) people also say that their only real friends are those they went to school or University with - if true - a bit sad - I think.

I do, very much, agree with the point made about "Treat others as you expect to be treated yourself".

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

That's a very bitter viewpoint. I have many things in common with my colleagues and my neighbors and my partner.

I find that the Thais with money only treat you friendly if there is status to be gained other then that they are annoyed and not interested in the language or cultural difficulties. they are a very selfish and self centered people (just watch them open a door for you or try to cross at a cross walk or drive with them.) On the norm Thais believe they are Superior. as they do not have the capability to admit that there country is pretty much ass back wards 25 years behind and contributes very little to the worlds seen.

• Like 1

I find that the Thais with money only treat you friendly if there is status to be gained other then that they are annoyed and not interested in the language or cultural difficulties. they are a very selfish and self centered people (just watch them open a door for you or try to cross at a cross walk or drive with them.) On the norm Thais believe they are Superior. as they do not have the capability to admit that there country is pretty much ass back wards 25 years behind and contributes very little to the worlds seen.

Yet another bitter response that has little to do with reality.

Perhaps it is just me. I speak and read Thai. No deep language or cultural issues. My Thai friends speak and read English. No deep language or cultural issues.

Your other complaints seem both petty and issues with Thai culture.

A bit harsh jd, but probably correct! It's not relevant (whether true or not)to this discussion whether Thai's offer anything to the world or not and/ or if they are 25 years behind!

I get the idea you have integrated into the Thai society as much as it's possible to do so into a country/ culture that's different to your own. I don't spend enough time to do that successfully, but I do try - of course money is a great motivator as it is anywhere, but I'm fairly confident I've had some very pleasant exchanges where a Thai person can not financially benefit. They are not friends, but became nice acquaintances. My wife's (sadly deceased) family fall into that category - never asked for money and offered to pay every time. Maybe I'm lucky or naïve?

"Is Thailand friendly?"

Yes

"Is Thailand Expats friendly"

No

Don`t agree.

From my experiences the most people that are not friendly towards ex-pats here in Thailand, are the ex-pats themselves. I get on great with the Thais but the ex-pats seems curt, rude and unapproachable. It`s either the invisible teatment or the disapproving stare.

I believe that the Thais are extremely ex-pat friendly if you`re the neighborly type and don`t come across as conceited and self righteous.

I completely agree with you beetlejuice.... If shown towards the Thai's your a humble person just like some of them and not a Hi-So farang flashing money around they intend to accept you much faster and start showing interest in you..... of cause this is not the case with all Thai's but your more likely to break through to them...

• Like 1

Yes most Thais are friendly to me…and me to them.

I quote from what SamuiAxe said (post No 34).... “I have a very simple rule; treat people the same way you want to be treated,

works like a charm! Give respect, receive respect, if you live like that then you will find Thailand a very friendly country".

This has been my philosophy through out life and I’ve done pretty well so far.

I some times think a lot of members on Thai Visa live in a different Thailand to what I do.

There’s and old Crosby Stills and Nash song called ‘Wooden Ships’ it has a line in the song that says it all:-

"If you smile at me I will understand, coz that is some thing everybody, everywhere, does in the same language".

So be nice, next time some one smiles at you, reciprocate, I bet it wont hurt you.

Have a Nice Day.

Edited by firefox999uk
  • Like 1

Yes, they are friendly. That doesn't mean I want to invite them into my home, nor you. I hope you understand. Not trying to be unfriendly, just honest. I do not invite all of my friends to my home. You can be friendly, without being best friends.

• Like 1