Thailand's road laws - mirrors and indicators

darkian

I dont know the full road regs for LOS , but in England , if a bike is road registered (an off-road bike ) and it wasnt made with indicaters when new , you dont have to retro-fit them. Also only 1 mirror legaly required. Your intended riding areas and personal safety concerns , may prompt you to fit these though.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Come on please. Just because the natives drive around as they please it doesn't mean you have to.

I had and have no intention of doing so, hence why I specified that I didn't want to get into a debate about that/the safety of it. This is related to a discussion I've been having with someone about riding bikes in Asia and the relevant road laws.

if no mirrors or indicators, police can fine you. it is illegal of course even in Thailand!

Thanks.

Mirrors are required, and in Bankok at least it seems that it's even enforced. My wife dropped my Wave backing it out of a parking spot about 6 months ago. Not a scratch on the rest of the bike, but one of the mirrors snapped off. A short time later, before I had time to replace it, a cop stopped me at a checkpoint. He didn't ask for any money, but he told me I needed to replace the broken mirror.

Outside of Bangkok, on the other hand... when I lived in Nakhon Pathom it seems like roughly half of the bikes on the road had no mirrors, and nobody really cared.

There are pertinent sections in both the Motor Vehicle Act and the Land Traffic Act. But the Motor Vehicle Act leaves it up to the Minister of Transport and Communications to define the standards. I spent some time looking for this but searching in Thai using translators is very laborious. I haven't found it yet.

Motor Vehicle Act
B.E. 2522 (1979)

Section 5

The Minister of Transport and Communications shall be in charge and control of the execution of this Act and shall have the power to prescribe such Ministerial Regulations as requirements of motor vehicles and their engines, standards for mirrors and horns, specifications for license plates, maximum loads and capacities for motor vehicles, etc. of motor vehicles and their engines, standards for mirrors and horns, specifications for license plates, maximum loads and capacities for motor vehicles, etc.

Land Traffic Act

BE 2522

Section 36 (500B)
When a driver is to turn the vehicle, let another vehicle to overtake, change traffic lane, reduce speed or stop the vehicle, he shall display hand signal or light signal. When the condition doesn't permit the visibility of hand signals (like at night), he must use the light signal.

The driver must display the hand signal or light signal not less distance than 60m before turning the vehicle, changing traffic lane, or stopping the vehicle.

The hand signal or light signal must be visible to other drivers at not less distance than 60m.

Section 38 (500B)

The driver of an automobile or motorcycle shall display light signals as follows:
a. to stop the vehicle, ...
b. to turn the vehicle or change traffic lane, ...
c. to let another vehicle to overtake, the driver shall display amber light signal for turning or blinking red or amber light signal at the back and to the left of the vehicle.

www.gt-rider.com/thailand-motorcycle-forum/showthread.php/36634-Traffic-Laws-in-Thailand-A-translation-(from-www-bkkriders-com)

http://thailaws.com/law/t_laws/tlaw0140_5.pdf

http://www.motorcycle.in.th/wiki/doku.php/thai_motorcycle_law

• Like 1

Thanks for that, really useful! smile.png

You're welcome.

I ran out of time earlier, but have now also found the Ministerial Regulation referenced by section 5 of the motoring act.

For information, "motor vehicle" is defined in the act as any motorized vehicle with 2 or more wheels.

By virtue of Section 5 (2) of the Motor Vehicle Act of 2522, as amended by car (No. 7) 2530.

Minister of Transport hereby issues the following:

Article 1 The Ministerial Regulation No. 10 (BE 2525) issued under the Motor Vehicle Act of 2522

Motor vehicles must have the following apparatus:

(4) A rearview mirror in which the driver can see traffic on the sides and the back at any moment clearly.

(c ) Turn lamps type flashing yellow light mounted on the front (2).

And yellow or red light mounted at the rear to the left and right sides. Each side attached to the same level above the ground at least

35 cm but not more than 1.20 meters. All the turn lights on the same side are to blink simultaneously while the car's turn signals are activated.

Source: http://law.longdo.com/law/465/sub32548

Edited by NomadJoe