hong kong

roytheoldboy

Hi,I was wondering if anyone can assist me with a little information..I have a layover of 7 hours in Hongkong on my way to Bangkok.

So I was wondering will I have to purchase a visa(at airport?) to allow me to go into town to have a quick look about. Also some ideas

about what to do and how to get about.A friend mentioned some trip up a mountain by tram if I have time? Also I have concerns about

recent unrest in HK,and dont really want to risk getting bogged down with security issues and risk missing my connection.Any info greatly welcome

All things considering (also determine by whether or not you get a clean run out of HK Airport) you should have about 2 hours to explore Hong Kong.

I would suggest going into Central, taking the star ferry across to Kowloon maybe visit the market in Mongkok (once again, determined by time) and catching the Airport express back again from Kowloon station.

• Like 1

You do not need a Visa to enter Hong Kong, just go through the Immigration line and they will stamp you in.

There is an excellent express train directly from the airport into the center of the city which connects directly with the subway system, which is huge.

The Airport train offers an inexpensive "One Day" round trip pass you can buy from a vending machine at the train station entry from Arrivals. The trains leave frequently, about every 15 minutes or so and the trip to the city center takes about 30 minutes. There is also a free tourist information desk there. They have been very helpful to me in the past and distribute free maps and tour guides.

As CodyB suggested, the STAR FERRY terminal is the best place to start. The trip across the harbor is really interesting and drops you off close to a lot of shopping. The tram trip to the top of Victoria Peak offers a spectacular view, but only on a clear day. Not worth it if overcast.

HK is VERY hilly so walking can be tiring. In the hilly areas, the sidewalks twist and turn so easy to get disoriented but there are always direction signs somewhere nearby.

A seven hour layover should net you about 3 to 4 hours to get a taste of Hong Kong, Well worth the effort. Do some online research and print out some maps of the area near the ferry terminal and be sure you leave yourself enough time to check in for your flight. Hong Kong airport is a very efficient (and very beautiful) airport and the check in process usually goes pretty quickly, especially if you already have your boarding passes from your initial check in at your original departure point.

BTW, I believe there is also a tour desk at Arrivals where you can book a short city tour directly from the airport. I've never used it so no idea of cost or quality.

I wouldn't worry to much about the demonstrations. They seem to be more in the University areas and anyway, as all of us in Bangkok learned during the street protests of this past year, you just go around them. Once you are a few blocks away, you'd think nothing was happening.

Edited by dddave
  • Like 1

I'd suggest avoiding the Central/Admiralty areas. Take the Airport express train into HK Station, then easy walk to ferry pier. Take ferry to Tsim Sha Tsui, aka TST, walk and ferry both 10 mins. Should be no 'unrest' across the harbor. Grab bus 2 or 7 and go up Nathan Road for 5 mins and start walking around. Print a google map, or boy one as easy to get a bit lost. Plan to return same way as MTR subways go to Central, which may be jammed. HK expensive due to high labor costs and astronomical rents. Restaurant food about 4X T'land.

• Like 1

All things considering (also determine by whether or not you get a clean run out of HK Airport) you should have about 2 hours to explore Hong Kong.

I would suggest going into Central, taking the star ferry across to Kowloon maybe visit the market in Mongkok (once again, determined by time) and catching the Airport express back again from Kowloon station.

<deleted> 2hours?you aving alarf?

You do not need a Visa to enter Hong Kong, just go through the Immigration line and they will stamp you in.

There is an excellent express train directly from the airport into the center of the city which connects directly with the subway system, which is huge.

The Airport train offers an inexpensive "One Day" round trip pass you can buy from a vending machine at the train station entry from Arrivals. The trains leave frequently, about every 15 minutes or so and the trip to the city center takes about 30 minutes. There is also a free tourist information desk there. They have been very helpful to me in the past and distribute free maps and tour guides.

As CodyB suggested, the STAR FERRY terminal is the best place to start. The trip across the harbor is really interesting and drops you off close to a lot of shopping. The tram trip to the top of Victoria Peak offers a spectacular view, but only on a clear day. Not worth it if overcast.

HK is VERY hilly so walking can be tiring. In the hilly areas, the sidewalks twist and turn so easy to get disoriented but there are always direction signs somewhere nearby.

A seven hour layover should net you about 3 to 4 hours to get a taste of Hong Kong, Well worth the effort. Do some online research and print out some maps of the area near the ferry terminal and be sure you leave yourself enough time to check in for your flight. Hong Kong airport is a very efficient (and very beautiful) airport and the check in process usually goes pretty quickly, especially if you already have your boarding passes from your initial check in at your original departure point.

BTW, I believe there is also a tour desk at Arrivals where you can book a short city tour directly from the airport. I've never used it so no idea of cost or quality.

I wouldn't worry to much about the demonstrations. They seem to be more in the University areas and anyway, as all of us in Bangkok learned during the street protests of this past year, you just go around them. Once you are a few blocks away, you'd think nothing was happening.

Many thanks DD. Thats what I was hoping to hear(rather than the doomsday versions of some others),cheers

The Peak cable hauled tram trip is well worthwhile if a clear day, however be aware the queues (lines) can be substantial ... an hour+ easily. This clip gives an idea: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEcoZx5BE0U

The best way to see around the city in limited time is by open top bus tour:

http://eng.bigbustours.com/hongkong/home.html

IIRC the ticket price includes a cross harbour ferry return trip.