Microsoft unveils Windows 10 system

webfact

Microsoft unveils Windows 10 system with Start Menu
By Leo Kelion

(BBC) Microsoft has disclosed the first details of Windows 10 - its next operating system (OS).

The name is a surprise, bearing in mind it represents a jump from the last version - Windows 8.

The software will run on a wide range of devices, from phones and tablets to PCs and Xbox games consoles, with applications sold from a single store.

It also marks the return of the Start Menu, which had been removed from Windows 8.

In addition to offering a list of the user's favourite applications, the menu also brings up resizable tiles - similar to those featured in Windows 8's touch-centric interface on PCs and tablets.

These provide a quick view of notifications from relevant applications, such as details of new emails, Facebook messages and weather forecast updates.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-29431412

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-10-01

I have used Windows 8 since beta and 8.1 when it was available for upgrade. I like both.

Since the very beginning I used Windows 8 beta almost indentically looking as Windows 7 but the performace of Windows 8/8.1 was better for me.

As soon as the computer I want is available with the new Windows, I will be purchasing.

• Like 1

Have I missed something???

Like Windows 9

Having had to upgrade because MS pulled the plug on XP, not a happy bunny.

I just hope Bill Gates does not crash out under suspicious circumstances, every windows user will be a suspect.

Like Windows 9

<snip>

MS has never been logical in naming. For example look at this list, does it look logical to you ? I don't think so thumbsup.gif

3.1(1)

Me

XP

Vista

8(.1)

Edited by MJCM

I am another user that enjoys Windows 8.1. When I upgraded from 7 to 8, my computer ran faster and was more reliable. Not nearly as many lock ups, etc. Then 8.1 added some features bringing us back a little towards the 7 era.

Personally, I like the tile concept, especially the live tiles that tell me whats going on without needing to open the application, like weather, emails, Facebook, etc. The metro design is essential for those using a tablet. Personally, I enjoy Android on my Samsung Note 10.1 2014 tablet, and Windows 8.1 on my HP laptop. When my laptop dies (going on 5 years now) I'll get one of those hybrids that run both Android and Windows with a touch screen.

If you want to keep up with the latest software, you need to adapt to the new designs and methods. Otherwise, just keep using your old Atari.

Like Windows 9

Having had to upgrade because MS pulled the plug on XP, not a happy bunny.

I just hope Bill Gates does not crash out under suspicious circumstances, every windows user will be a suspect.

Windows 9 was so crap they didn't even release it. biggrin.png

• Like 1

Ten years ago I switched to Apple. Microsoft is the biggest bunch of bull shit in the world. If people could not get a bootleg copy it would not be so popular. They just keep changing the version of the operating system to suck simple minded people it to it. Wake there is a better world than Microsoft.

• Like 1

I am another user that enjoys Windows 8.1. When I upgraded from 7 to 8, my computer ran faster and was more reliable. Not nearly as many lock ups, etc. Then 8.1 added some features bringing us back a little towards the 7 era.

Personally, I like the tile concept, especially the live tiles that tell me whats going on without needing to open the application, like weather, emails, Facebook, etc. The metro design is essential for those using a tablet. Personally, I enjoy Android on my Samsung Note 10.1 2014 tablet, and Windows 8.1 on my HP laptop. When my laptop dies (going on 5 years now) I'll get one of those hybrids that run both Android and Windows with a touch screen.

If you want to keep up with the latest software, you need to adapt to the new designs and methods. Otherwise, just keep using your old Atari.

Nah mate I am still using the good old trusty computer cards, only have about 19 015 744 to go.

computer-cards.jpeg

• Like 2

Nah mate I am still using the good old trusty computer cards, only have about 19 015 744 to go.

computer-cards.jpeg

Ah gawd, I dropped a few boxes of those in my youth.

biggrin.png

• Like 1

Was dragged kicking and screaming from DOS xxx thru to 6.0 onto Win 98. In subsequent years migrated to Xp and could not be dragged away until yesterday. Treated myself to a new HP NoteBook, Intel i7, Nvida Graphics - all singing and dancing with a W8.1.

Cannot believe how easy it was to get me olde brain around this new (to me) OS and it's connectivity. Even installed my, dinosaur, Office 2000 SP3 OK (old but solid as a rock) including, against all odds, OUTLOOK 2000 which required some lateral debugging but works a treat.

So today I get out of bed only to hear MS has come up with a new OS. What sort of a loser am I? Thinking of shit-canning this and rebuilding my new machine at XP SP3. A pox on MS.

Olde saying:- "If it ain't broke don't fix it!" Come back with Xp support and all will be forgiven.

Edit: Fat finger typos.

PS. Looking at card readers, back in medieval times I used to service the old PDP 11 (then badged as the Fox 3) It has the dreaded paper streamer tape reader and punch. Hamersley Iron and Swan Brewery in West Aust.

Edited by bdenner

Ten years ago I switched to Apple. Microsoft is the biggest bunch of bull shit in the world. If people could not get a bootleg copy it would not be so popular. They just keep changing the version of the operating system to suck simple minded people it to it. Wake there is a better world than Microsoft.

Huh? And Apple never change their o/s either for big bucks when buying a new computer? At least with MS system you could upgrade the o/s without shelling out big money for a whole new computer.

And millions of commercial users of MS are wrong by choosing a cheaper computer system than Apple? And Apple allowed MS Office on their product? And Apple had to drop their microprocessors in favour of Intel? Wake up sunshine, to the real world of computing as determined by buyers.

Huh? And Apple never change their o/s either for big bucks when buying a new computer? At least with MS system you could upgrade the o/s without shelling out big money for a whole new computer.

And millions of commercial users of MS are wrong by choosing a cheaper computer system than Apple? And Apple allowed MS Office on their product? And Apple had to drop their microprocessors in favour of Intel? Wake up sunshine, to the real world of computing as determined by buyers.

Apple is overpriced, shiny crap with limited applications.

But amazingly they keep finding mugs to buy their rubbish.

I always recommend it to people with little computer skills.

Edited by Chicog
  • Like 2

Another screwup.

Win 8 - 8.1 is very unpopular and is used by only about 20% of business applications. 7 is still the favorite OS and more still use abandoned XP than 8. All this according to the article.

Now MS is trying to save itself by adding a start menu when many of us already use the proggy to make 8 look like 7. But 10 still looks like 8 and I don't want all of that crap on my desktop. I want icons of my own choice.

MS needs to admit it screwed up and make an OS that looks like 7 but has 8's superior kernel.

If I hadn't needed a new laptop and found that all good choices were already loaded with 8, I'd still be using 7 across the board.

We bought 5 computers for the office, stripped that farcical windows 8 out and replaced it with 7.

We use a lot of images and 8 is absolutely rubbish for working with images and generally slower to perform the same tasks than in 7.

I personally trialed 8 for a week to be sure it wasn't just an acclimatisation issue, after 7 days I had 8 removed, staff were very happy and productivity, which had fallen steeply during the time we were using 8, improved again instantly.

Why do all of these organisations feel they can impose things we don't want.

Facebook and it's ridiculous messenger system that can take photographs, video and sound from the phone even if it is in standby mode.

Microsoft insisting that we provide them with a phone number before we can sign in! I have 5 ms accounts I will never use again, they can stick them.

I don't get it, give customers what they want not what someone thinks they should have.

Edited by Steiner

Microsoft insisting that we provide them with a phone number before we can sign in! I have 5 ms accounts I will never use again, they can stick them.

Two factor-authentication is there as a security feature to protect people who routinely click on any old link going without checking what it is.

However, I don't remember giving them a phone number, and I logged into MSDN this morning without being asked for one.

Two factor-authentication is there as a security feature to protect people who routinely click on any old link going without checking what it is.

However, I don't remember giving them a phone number, and I logged into MSDN this morning without being asked for one.

I was asked for the phone number after I had entered the name and password.

I don't see how someone could click on 'any old link' and go to someone else's email account.

Authentication my ass they simply want more information so they can sell it or use it.

If you have 2-Step Authentication enabled and If you don't have the Authenticator App (I use the Google Authenticator App (downloadable in Play and App Store)) you can add a Phone Number to your account to send you codes to login. But it's absolutely not mandatory to add a phone number to your account, but you need at least one method to receive codes.

Edited by MJCM

I was asked for the phone number after I had entered the name and password.

I don't see how someone could click on 'any old link' and go to someone else's email account.

Authentication my ass they simply want more information so they can sell it or use it.

Where did I mention clicking on a link to go to someone else's account? blink.png

I was stating that clicking on links blindly is one of the most common ways to get your account hijacked, and ultimately two-step authentication prevents someone else getting into your account with username and password alone.

Of course if you practice safe behaviour, the chances of you needing 2FA are negligible.

Like Windows 9

Microsoft rollout cycle has been traditionally: accepted version - bad version - accepted version - bad version.

Now by jumping from 8 directly to 10 they are hoping to skip the bad version altogether. :)

True, it's called Linux! [emoji6]

sent from my slimkat 1+ using tapatalk

• Like 1

Like Windows 9

Microsoft rollout cycle has been traditionally: accepted version - bad version - accepted version - bad version.

Now by jumping from 8 directly to 10 they are hoping to skip the bad version altogether. smile.png

Except 9 was going to be the good one

Yeah OK mate, take time to read the two running Shellshock threads won't you?

thumbsup.gif

Like Windows 9

Now by jumping from 8 directly to 10 they are hoping to skip the bad version altogether. smile.png

Except 9 was going to be the good one

Uh. I thought 8 was the good one. Well, then maybe this explanation from Reddit.

Microsoft dev here, the internal rumours are that early testing revealed just how many third party products that had code of the form

if(version.StartsWith("Windows 9")){ /* 95 and 98 */} else {

and that this was the pragmatic solution to avoid that.

https://www.reddit.com/r/technology/comments/2hwlrk/new_windows_version_will_be_called_windows_10/ckwq83x

Yeah OK mate, take time to read the two running Shellshock threads won't you?

thumbsup.gif

all of my systems have received patches already, so what was your point? Are you trying to tell me that Microsoft responds to security vulnerabilities faster than Linux? LMFAO!

Like Windows 9

<snip>

MS has never been logical in naming. For example look at this list, does it look logical to you ? I don't think so thumbsup.gif

3.1(1)

Me

XP

Vista

8(.1)

3.1(1)

98SE

Me

Windows 2000

XP

Vista

8(.1)