Truly unimaginable: 'Beyond imagination' mall to open west of Bangkok

webfact

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

alt=saai.gif> Oh goody....another mall opening soon.

Yes, and further good news ---- Emporium is being rebuilt from the inside out AND Emporium2 is nearing completion right opposite on Sukhumvit Road. Yippee.

Moreover, Emporium 3 (Emsphere) will soon start construction on the rubble of Washington Square. Its slogan is equally or more ridiculous:

"The Vibe That Bangkok Has Never Experienced Before". It should be more like "The Vibe That Bangkok Will Never Experience Again" as it becomes an increasingly boring and soul-less conglomeration of mega-malls, condos, and luxury hotels.

The corner of Sukhumvit soi 7 opposite TVF Lounge has been flattened a while ago. Most likely we'll get a much needed shopping complex annex boutique hotel annex whatever there.

I heard TVF was building a mega bar complex to cater for all their members.

Winners will be the developer who rents out the shopping space and 'customers' who wander around in the free air conditioning. The small shop owners will struggle to make a profit and many will close down once their lease expires only to be taken over by some other 'sucker'.

On the other hand keeping the people happy, is the goal not to have far less traffic in Bangkok = lots of Malls everywhere so people have no need to drive to BKK = far less traffic in Bangkok.

But at the moment or yesterday outside the building of this new Mall were 30 buses/pickups/mini buses 3 deep blocking the road, that is NOT counting all the Taxi's, wonder if they will build a bus park ?

Have you ever driven past a Central that didn't cause a traffic jam?

Yes many times. Central Pattaya and Central Embassy and Central Kad Suan Keaw.

Beg to disagree as far as Central Pattaya is concerned. Anything up to 3 lanes of traffic, on beach road, at weekends all trying to squeeze into one car park entrance. Taxis & baht buses stopping in middle lanes to let passengers disembark and embark. Total chaos. Placing cones to separate the furthest right lane has helped some but still drivers slow down and gawk at where they wanted to be but can't get to. Heaven forbid they find a park elsewhere and walk a little.

Edited by Keesters

On the other hand keeping the people happy, is the goal not to have far less traffic in Bangkok = lots of Malls everywhere so people have no need to drive to BKK = far less traffic in Bangkok.

But at the moment or yesterday outside the building of this new Mall were 30 buses/pickups/mini buses 3 deep blocking the road, that is NOT counting all the Taxi's, wonder if they will build a bus park ?

Beg to disagree as far as Central Pattaya is concerned. Anything up to 3 lanes of traffic, on beach road, at weekends all trying to squeeze into one car park entrance. Taxis & baht buses stopping in middle lanes to let passengers disembark and embark. Total chaos. Placing cones to separate the furthest right lane has helped some but still drivers slow down and gawk at where they wanted to be but can't get to. Heaven forbid they find a park elsewhere and walk a little.

The question was. "Have you ever driven past a Central that didn't cause a traffic jam?" There were no traffic jams during the week in Pattaya during the low season that I saw.

On the weekends sure all the folks come up from Bangkok. Have you ever seen a football stadium that didn't have a traffic jam after the game let out? Do you want to stop football? Or concerts? Or any other event that causes traffic?

Winners will be the developer who rents out the shopping space and 'customers' who wander around in the free air conditioning. The small shop owners will struggle to make a profit and many will close down once their lease expires only to be taken over by some other 'sucker'.

That is just so silly. If no one made any money the mall would close. Take a look at the stores in the Central Embassy mall. http://www.centralembassy.com/

If your product does not sell people don't buy the same for retail space. The developer loses in the shops are not successful. Empty stores mean less rent per sq meter.

Old ugly malls close and new pretty malls sell.

Yes but this is different there only building it, just steel waving around above the ground floor level

But on a serious note I think it would be better for Thailand and Thais as well To maybe have a nice park where there could take there kids to with amusement and ride free for all Thai's Farangs can pay small fee to ride. Could even showcase Thai culture in song and dance. Oh yes and regional foods That would attract tourist . Malls attract thieves and pickpockets.

Huh? Thieves and pickpockets? Have you ever been to an upscale Central mall in Thailand? They attract people who are willing to pay top dollar for Swiss chocolates and Gucci, Omega and Prada.

http://www.centralembassy.com/fashion/

A park where people do Thai songs and dances? The company had revenues of 7 billion $US dollars last year? Song and dance?

Yes Siam paragon And saw several pickpockets plying there trade reported them to police they got busted. Also seen several Credit card thieves working high end shop's Like rolex and such. With there Nigerian handler in tow. So any more questions?

But on a serious note I think it would be better for Thailand and Thais as well To maybe have a nice park where there could take there kids to with amusement and ride free for all Thai's Farangs can pay small fee to ride. Could even showcase Thai culture in song and dance. Oh yes and regional foods That would attract tourist . Malls attract thieves and pickpockets.

Huh? Thieves and pickpockets? Have you ever been to an upscale Central mall in Thailand? They attract people who are willing to pay top dollar for Swiss chocolates and Gucci, Omega and Prada.

http://www.centralembassy.com/fashion/

A park where people do Thai songs and dances? The company had revenues of 7 billion $US dollars last year? Song and dance?

Yes Siam paragon And saw several pickpockets plying there trade reported them to police they got busted. Also seen several Credit card thieves working high end shop's Like rolex and such. With there Nigerian handler in tow. So any more questions?

I didn't ask you any questions. I said the high end malls don't attract thieves and pickpockets. A couple anecdotal stories do not trends make. Anyone who shops regularly at Central's malls knows crime is not a problem there.

Edited by thailiketoo

The question was. "Have you ever driven past a Central that didn't cause a traffic jam?" There were no traffic jams during the week in Pattaya during the low season that I saw.

On the weekends sure all the folks come up from Bangkok. Have you ever seen a football stadium that didn't have a traffic jam after the game let out? Do you want to stop football? Or concerts? Or any other event that causes traffic?

And every time I drive past Central Pattaya there is a traffic jam. So the question "Have you ever driven past a Central that didn't cause a traffic jam?" with regards to Pattaya is NO as sometimes there is a traffic jam. The question was not "that never has a traffic jam"

What you've seen and what I've seen are obviously different as our observations are made on different days. But there are often traffic jams as you drive past Central Pattaya.

Your last sentence is irrelevant, we're not talking football, concerts etc, we're talking Central shopping mall Pattaya as part of the original question.

That is just so silly. If no one made any money the mall would close. Take a look at the stores in the Central Embassy mall. http://www.centralembassy.com/

If your product does not sell people don't buy the same for retail space. The developer loses in the shops are not successful. Empty stores mean less rent per sq meter.

Never said anything about 'empty stalls'. One person leaves another 'sucker' takes their place is what I said. Never said "everyone would lose money". Of course if that were true the mall probably would close. But it is not what I said. Please read again.

I've tried to persuade many Thais from not doing something because they'll lose what little money they have. The usual reply is "there are so many doing the same we can't fail". They do of course because the competition is so fierce. The other typical Thai attitude to business is "we're not making a profit, put the prices up." They then lose even more custom. This is not silly this is Thai reality. Take a good look around and try to go back to the same small shop you went to in a mall a year ago. Many times it has changed owner and/or products.

Shops change hands and/or products overnight. The developer wins, the customer wins, many small shop owners lose.

Never said anything about 'empty stalls'. One person leaves another 'sucker' takes their place is what I said. Never said "everyone would lose money". Of course if that were true the mall probably would close. But it is not what I said. Please read again.

I've tried to persuade many Thais from not doing something because they'll lose what little money they have. The usual reply is "there are so many doing the same we can't fail". They do of course because the competition is so fierce. The other typical Thai attitude to business is "we're not making a profit, put the prices up." They then lose even more custom. This is not silly this is Thai reality. Take a good look around and try to go back to the same small shop you went to in a mall a year ago. Many times it has changed owner and/or products.

Shops change hands and/or products overnight. The developer wins, the customer wins, many small shop owners lose.

We are talking about two different things. I am speaking about the luxury malls like Central builds that are the subject of this thread. You are talking about little stalls in Nakon Nowhere. I'm talking Gucci and you are talking Somchai. Big difference. I posted the link before so you would understand and here it is again. http://www.centralembassy.com/ Look at the shops. They are major international chains like the Park Hyatt not Lek's Som Tom.

I've seen what you are writing about ten coffee shops in a row type of thing. This thread however is about big business.

We are talking about two different things. I am speaking about the luxury malls like Central builds that are the subject of this thread. You are talking about little stalls in Nakon Nowhere. I'm talking Gucci and you are talking Somchai. Big difference. I posted the link before so you would understand and here it is again. http://www.centralembassy.com/ Look at the shops. They are major international chains like the Park Hyatt not Lek's Som Tom.

I've seen what you are writing about ten coffee shops in a row type of thing. This thread however is about big business.

But these so called luxury malls are also full of smaller independent shops & stalls along with Gucci & the like. Never mentioned Nakorn Nowhere, Somchai, Lek's Som Tom. You should learn to read. And if you are talking about something different to me why did you answer & quote when your post had nothing to do with mine.

Unimaginable is not a load more S&P, Macdonalds, sports shops, gold dealers, and crappy, expensive clothes.

The unimaginable is a mall serving roast beef and Yorkshire puds with OXO gravy, or chicken and PAXO every day. That's the unimaginable. giggle.gifsad.png

The project will create more than 10,000 jobs when it is completed in 2015. It will also drive residential growth in Nonthaburi's Bang Yai district to exceed 150,000 units within five years from 50,000 units worth Bt150 billion currently, based on residential projects launched in this location.

Central Pattana is positioning CentralWestGate as a prototype super regional mall for Asia.

"We believe that this is a new lifestyle mall with more than 1,000 anchor stores and super-sized shops of both Thai and international brands,"

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/CentralWestGate-A-super-mall-in-the-making-30199000.html

How many jobs and stores would be attracted by Yorkshire pudding? Eggs, flour and milk ain't much of a culinary masterpiece is it?

Sometimes the simplest things in life are the best :)

But these so called luxury malls are also full of smaller independent shops & stalls along with Gucci & the like. Never mentioned Nakorn Nowhere, Somchai, Lek's Som Tom. You should learn to read. And if you are talking about something different to me why did you answer & quote when your post had nothing to do with mine.

The threads topic is about giant new mega malls. Your premise of the developer fleecing tenants is silly in any size mall anyway. It suits your anti business slant but it's not reality. If no one makes any money no one rents except the very stupid. And a fool and his money are soon parted in any country.

Unimaginable is not a load more S&P, Macdonalds, sports shops, gold dealers, and crappy, expensive clothes.

The unimaginable is a mall serving roast beef and Yorkshire puds with OXO gravy, or chicken and PAXO every day. That's the unimaginable. giggle.gifsad.png

The project will create more than 10,000 jobs when it is completed in 2015. It will also drive residential growth in Nonthaburi's Bang Yai district to exceed 150,000 units within five years from 50,000 units worth Bt150 billion currently, based on residential projects launched in this location.

Central Pattana is positioning CentralWestGate as a prototype super regional mall for Asia.

"We believe that this is a new lifestyle mall with more than 1,000 anchor stores and super-sized shops of both Thai and international brands,"

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/CentralWestGate-A-super-mall-in-the-making-30199000.html

How many jobs and stores would be attracted by Yorkshire pudding? Eggs, flour and milk ain't much of a culinary masterpiece is it?

Sometimes the simplest things in life are the best smile.png

How does that relate to the giant new mega mall that is the topic of this thread?

I never said 'developer fleeces'. You really do need to read what is written instead of making stuff up to suit your agenda, whatever that is. I am not 'anti business' whatever gave you that idea? Again please read what is written. Your last two sentences however do make sense as that is what I was talking about ... 'suckers' who rent space after prior person gave up after losing money during the period of their lease only to probably do the same. There are plenty of fools who lose their money in these malls and that is not the developer or the customers it is the owners of many of the small independent shops.

I never said 'developer fleeces'. You really do need to read what is written instead of making stuff up to suit your agenda, whatever that is. I am not 'anti business' whatever gave you that idea? Again please read what is written. Your last two sentences however do make sense as that is what I was talking about ... 'suckers' who rent space after prior person gave up after losing money during the period of their lease.

You wrote,

Shops change hands and/or products overnight. The developer wins, the customer wins, many small shop owners lose"

Which is exactly what you said you didn't write in the above post.

I wrote, "The threads topic is about giant new mega malls. Your premise of the developer fleecing tenants is silly in any size mall anyway. It suits your anti business slant but it's not reality. If no one makes any money no one rents except the very stupid. And a fool and his money are soon parted in any country."

Thais are great at proposing new and bigger malls, at buying tons of whitening cream, at hiring tens of thousands of katoy to stand behind sales counters, .... Yet how good are Thais at environmental husbandry? Not one Thai politician in the past 20 years has put environment anywhere near the top of priorities. If Thailand was cement and asphalt from north to south, east to west, Thais would figure, "oh well, mai pen rai, we can see pictures of trees and animals on our hand-held devices. Hey, let's go to the mall!"

I never said 'developer fleeces'. You really do need to read what is written instead of making stuff up to suit your agenda, whatever that is. I am not 'anti business' whatever gave you that idea? Again please read what is written. Your last two sentences however do make sense as that is what I was talking about ... 'suckers' who rent space after prior person gave up after losing money during the period of their lease.

You wrote,

Shops change hands and/or products overnight. The developer wins, the customer wins, many small shop owners lose"

Which is exactly what you said you didn't write in the above post.

I wrote, "The threads topic is about giant new mega malls. Your premise of the developer fleecing tenants is silly in any size mall anyway. It suits your anti business slant but it's not reality. If no one makes any money no one rents except the very stupid. And a fool and his money are soon parted in any country."

And that is not 'developer fleecing'. It is a fool being parted from his money. Advising some potential businesses from not doing what they think will make money because IMO it won't is not anti-business. It is advice that 100% has been proved correct in those instances.

I have never denied what I have written and I stand by it. You however have tried to twist it. 'developer wins' is NOT 'developer fleeces'. 'Advice to businesses' is NOT 'anti-business'.

And I have already agreed with your last two sentences because that is basically what I said.

Edited by Keesters

I've only been to these Mega Malls just a few times, and most of the stores I see are empty of shoppers. Plus, most of the strollers in the Mall are carrying no shopping bags. The only businesses I see thriving are in the food courts,pharmacies or the little kiosks in the center that sell cremes, cosmetics and beauty products to female customers. I think most people in the Malls are window shopping and taking advantage of the air conditioning to beat the heat outdoors. smile.png

• Like 2

I've only been to these Mega Malls just a few times, and most of the stores I see are empty of shoppers. Plus, most of the strollers in the Mall are carrying no shopping bags. The only businesses I see thriving are in the food courts,pharmacies or the little kiosks in the center that sell cremes, cosmetics and beauty products to female customers. I think most people in the Malls are window shopping and taking advantage of the air conditioning to beat the heat outdoors. smile.png

Who is the richest man in Thailand and what does he do for a living? The new No. 1 is the Chirathivat family, owners of the Central Group, a retail and hotel conglomerate that saw group revenues rise 27% to a record $7 billion in 2013.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/naazneenkarmali/2014/06/04/thailands-50-richest-2014-some-win-some-lose-amid-political-strife/

Some one is right and someone is wrong. You or Forbes?

Thais are great at proposing new and bigger malls, at buying tons of whitening cream, at hiring tens of thousands of katoy to stand behind sales counters, .... Yet how good are Thais at environmental husbandry? Not one Thai politician in the past 20 years has put environment anywhere near the top of priorities. If Thailand was cement and asphalt from north to south, east to west, Thais would figure, "oh well, mai pen rai, we can see pictures of trees and animals on our hand-held devices. Hey, let's go to the mall!"

Lady boy and whitening cream bashing too? Thais don't just propose new and bigger malls they build them and it has made the man who does it the richest man in Thailand. So I guess you think the richest man in Thailand got there by selling whitening creams and hiring lady boys?

Looking at your post one may surmise you are talking about Hong Kong or Singapore. because 41% of Thailand is still used for Agriculture. http://www.tradingeconomics.com/thailand/agricultural-land-percent-of-land-area-wb-data.html

A major port at Dawei? Where?

Unlike the Chinese ports, which are surrounded by underdeveloped hinterlands, Shinawatra's proposal for the Chennai-Dawei corridor will connect economically robust regions. As the crow flies from Chennai, Dawei is directly across on the other side of the Bay of Bengal.

http://archive.indianexpress.com/news/thai-pm-for-chennaidawei-corridor/904138/

Well Shinawatra......

This proposal and about a 1000 similar proposals (Most sense are these with a channel) come and go the last 100 years. So it isn't his masterpiece.....

Thanks to BTS and Central Bang Yai developments.

Two years ago, we were able to sell our Sathonghin detached house for much more than what was expected.

And this even regarding the fact that we were three months under water ; only a few months, before the sale...

Who is the richest man in Thailand and what does he do for a living? The new No. 1 is the Chirathivat family, owners of the Central Group, a retail and hotel conglomerate that saw group revenues rise 27% to a record $7 billion in 2013.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/naazneenkarmali/2014/06/04/thailands-50-richest-2014-some-win-some-lose-amid-political-strife/

Some one is right and someone is wrong. You or Forbes?

As long as the space is rented he doesn't care whether the shops sell anything beyond paying the rent.

Good luck to him, the lad done well. Particularly well at keeping foreigners off his patch too.

When are they going to understand the biggest mall in the world is online?

No one builds malls any more.

So for all of you Thailand retail experts. "The Chirathivat family jumps to Number 1 for the first time buoyed by a 27% growth in their Central Group's revenues to $7 billion in 2013. Central Retail, the country's largest retailer, run by Tos Chirathivat, the grandson of the group's founder, is by far their biggest asset.

http://www.forbes.com/profile/chirathivat-family/

So all together now......What does the richest family in Thailand do for a living? They build and manage malls.....biggrin.png

Now tell the truth don't you all feel a bit silly? Malls are the biggest money maker in Thailand.

errmm I think you will find them not the richest.......

When are they going to understand the biggest mall in the world is online?

No one builds malls any more.

So for all of you Thailand retail experts. "The Chirathivat family jumps to Number 1 for the first time buoyed by a 27% growth in their Central Group's revenues to $7 billion in 2013. Central Retail, the country's largest retailer, run by Tos Chirathivat, the grandson of the group's founder, is by far their biggest asset.

So all together now......What does the richest family in Thailand do for a living? They build and manage malls.....biggrin.png

Now tell the truth don't you all feel a bit silly? Malls are the biggest money maker in Thailand.

errmm I think you will find them not the richest.......

Errmm I think I will.

"The Chirathivat family jumps to Number 1 for the first time buoyed by a 27% growth in their Central Group's revenues to $7 billion in 2013. Central Retail, the country's largest retailer, run by Tos Chirathivat, the grandson of the group's founder, is by far their biggest asset."