Thailand: International tourist arrivals may decline 15-20 per cent

webfact

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Stop ripping off, making rude remarks, falsely smiling, money orientated, rule book wannabes, more my jobs worth, puppy eyied, speak English not Tarzan and Jane, snobby high so,s , haven't got change for a thousand baht, Victorian toilet, cockroach, mangy dog, sawadee krap, ka, ka, ka, the doors music organ music taxis, 1950's buses, stare at me farang your fat, look at my iPhone, contact lenses zombies, chicks with dicks, tiny plastic seats, spoilt kids, hippy trendies wannabe high sos....

Don't you just love it here!

I have to confess I really do love Thailand and all the negative aspects are also funny when u think about it. Come to Thailand and enjoy this one of a kind country.

• Like 2

I'm not sure that tourists care if a government is a military dictatorship or not.

And I'm not sure that the recent reports of appalling violent crimes against tourists are much of a factor either. Thailand remains in the "very low" category for violent crime. Violent crime is probably lower in Singapore, but a holiday at a maximum security facility, within a giant shopping mall, is not everyone's idea of fun.

Some months ago there was a crackdown on evil, scum of the earth long stayers, that allegedly abused the system by making back to back visa runs. Surely the vast majority, just loved the place and wanted to stay any way they could. They developed ways and means, some more legitimately than others, but on the whole, they managed to pay their own way and doubtless their cost of existence ratio to locals was probably around three to one - in other words for every one foreigner managing to live here, was directly or indirectly supporting around three locals. This is not difficult or controversial calculus.

What perhaps was not known about this group was the fact that mostly, they all belonged to a secret society. The "We Love Thailand Club" a society that would persistently propagandise the inscrutable joys and pleasures of living in Thailand. In millions of emails and in hundreds of blogs, these foreign Thai loyalists would beaver away, making their friends envious of their exotic life in salubrious Thailand.

Then one day, the powers that the be decided "enough was enough". A tourist terror campaign was launched. One day at immigration its "welcome to Thailand", the next day you are an "abuser of the system", a parasite, a criminal, and a worm. Quite literally tens of thousands of loyal aficionados of Thailand where marginalised officially and unofficially. And many thousands have left, with a very bad taste in their mouth, which naturally is less likely to sing the praises of the land of smiles. To the contrary, they now focus on its ills, its problems and its injustices of which like most countries, it has no shortage.

Meanwhile the "We Love Thailand Club" is being eclipse by the we love Burma, Cambodia, Indonesia and Philippine Clubs, which are enjoying a growing membership and influence.

And I'll bet those same people who defended and supported this immigration crackdown will be amongst the first to complain around the results of it. Rising poverty, crime, corruption and misery.

More crackdowns anyone?

Cracking good post Jolly good, I must say. And so very true.clap2.gif

• Like 1

Tourists not big on military dictatorships, who`d have thought!?

Interestingly hotel prices are going up rather than down despite demand going down and supply going up. A couple of years back 1000 baht got you a decent 3* hotel in Bangkok whilst 2000 baht got you a 4* or even 5* hotel such as the Rembrandt where we always stay at when in town.

Looking at prices for our next trip the Rembrandt is 5000 baht a night!? Talk about making a bad situation worse! When we were last there is June there was about a dozen other customers.

Seems an odd name for a Thai hotel. Anything to appear classy I guess. Why don't you try places with names ending in inn, most offer clean rooms for 1000-2000.

In regards to the military issue here, if there is one: This was an absolute necessity, since the PM could not, under law, resolve the rice issue. The country would have collapsed. Besides, coups are normal here and alright with me. The real reason is that Russia is in recession and it gets harder for them to stay here; Europe is in recession or close. I don't see a bright future for the world economy with so many political problems. I hope that the Chinese government lightens up, it would be a dark signal if they crushed Hong Kong, and I think, an economic calamity.

• Like 2

A 20% drop just because of martial law? Wait unitl they read about the wristband and tracking, the violent taxi drivers back behind their wheels on the streets of Phuket, and of the immigration raid at Punspace in Chiang Mai...

Do you think the average tourist knows or even cares about a cafe in Chiang Mai? Tourists don't come here to sit in a cafe and work so they won't care. It has nothing to do with them and doesn't affect them. Do tourists stop visiting the UK because UK immigration raid a few restaurants there? N.

No idea about tourism. I live in a silent village, doing my work, lovely neighbours around. Use to spend my tourism-money to Lao, Malaysia, Vietnam aso. Looking for some clues regarding Myanmar. Planning a trip to China. And I feel lots of Farangs around the world think the same...

Silent village? I didn't know they existed here. Are you sure it isn't silent hill, or sleepy hollow?

I'd like to see some more detailed figures of which nationalities are dropping off and which are increasing their numbers to Thailand. I'm guessing westerners will show the sharpest decline whereas Russia, India, middle east and China will show greater numbers travelling to Thailand. Without getting high and mighty about it I believe most Thais do still prefer western visitors in terms of behaviour and manners. When I ask my Thai wife if she likes the Russians "god no, they look terrible", Indians "no, too smelly", Arabs, "no !" and Chinese "omg, no"., westerners "yes, I like them". Sums it up really. Not that we're racist of course......

I assume you're a Westerner, so what do you expect her to say? That she loves Indians and hates Westerners?

• Like 1

Tourists not big on military dictatorships, who`d have thought!?

Interestingly hotel prices are going up rather than down despite demand going down and supply going up. A couple of years back 1000 baht got you a decent 3* hotel in Bangkok whilst 2000 baht got you a 4* or even 5* hotel such as the Rembrandt where we always stay at when in town.

Looking at prices for our next trip the Rembrandt is 5000 baht a night!? Talk about making a bad situation worse! When we were last there is June there was about a dozen other customers.

Its Thai-logic.

No customers = then try to raise the price to get the lost money in.

• Like 1

I'm not sure that tourists care if a government is a military dictatorship or not.

And I'm not sure that the recent reports of appalling violent crimes against tourists are much of a factor either. Thailand remains in the "very low" category for violent crime. Violent crime is probably lower in Singapore, but a holiday at a maximum security facility, within a giant shopping mall, is not everyone's idea of fun.

Some months ago there was a crackdown on evil, scum of the earth long stayers, that allegedly abused the system by making back to back visa runs. Surely the vast majority, just loved the place and wanted to stay any way they could. They developed ways and means, some more legitimately than others, but on the whole, they managed to pay their own way and doubtless their cost of existence ratio to locals was probably around three to one - in other words for every one foreigner managing to live here, was directly or indirectly supporting around three locals. This is not difficult or controversial calculus.

What perhaps was not known about this group was the fact that mostly, they all belonged to a secret society. The "We Love Thailand Club" a society that would persistently propagandise the inscrutable joys and pleasures of living in Thailand. In millions of emails and in hundreds of blogs, these foreign Thai loyalists would beaver away, making their friends envious of their exotic life in salubrious Thailand.

Then one day, the powers that the be decided "enough was enough". A tourist terror campaign was launched. One day at immigration its "welcome to Thailand", the next day you are an "abuser of the system", a parasite, a criminal, and a worm. Quite literally tens of thousands of loyal aficionados of Thailand where marginalised officially and unofficially. And many thousands have left, with a very bad taste in their mouth, which naturally is less likely to sing the praises of the land of smiles. To the contrary, they now focus on its ills, its problems and its injustices of which like most countries, it has no shortage.

Meanwhile the "We Love Thailand Club" is being eclipse by the we love Burma, Cambodia, Indonesia and Philippine Clubs, which are enjoying a growing membership and influence.

And I'll bet those same people who defended and supported this immigration crackdown will be amongst the first to complain around the results of it. Rising poverty, crime, corruption and misery.

More crackdowns anyone?

Could not be more true! Very good post. Thank you!

A 20% drop just because of martial law? Wait unitl they read about the wristband and tracking, the violent taxi drivers back behind their wheels on the streets of Phuket, and of the immigration raid at Punspace in Chiang Mai...

Do you think the average tourist knows or even cares about a cafe in Chiang Mai? Tourists don't come here to sit in a cafe and work so they won't care. It has nothing to do with them and doesn't affect them. Do tourists stop visiting the UK because UK immigration raid a few restaurants there? N.

The comparison for raids in UK Thai restaurants would be a raid on an English school, not in an internet café. And I think that digital nomads are a good market for long-term tourism. That said, this raid was coupled with my post with other unpalatable news such as the decision to allow taxi drivers with a violent history to work in tourist Phuket and, most unpalatable, the wristband and tracking news. Not that I expect it to actually happen or be enforced -- but the insult remains.

I agree that few will read, and even less will care, with a similar attitude towards the local culture in general. The point I thought I was making is that martial law is not necessarily the major issue here, at least not since curfew has been lifted.

Only 15 to 20% ? i would think higher.... it is too dangerous in this country for the ladies to come alone and even when a lady is with a man it still is not safe. They are attacking in numbers now just like the Thai beatings of Farang, three or more against one. Rape also seems to be the crime of choice this year in Thailand. Beautiful and sexy girls need to fatten up or stay home. Sexy is dangerous ......

"Tourist arrivals may decline 15-20 per cent"

At least in this case, we can not claim that anything is unfair or not well-deserved. Scare away people, make them feel unwelcome and this is what you get!

And no doubt that the numbers will keep going down, until they maybe one day wake up and start thinking differently.

I'd like to see some more detailed figures of which nationalities are dropping off and which are increasing their numbers to Thailand. I'm guessing westerners will show the sharpest decline whereas Russia, India, middle east and China will show greater numbers travelling to Thailand. Without getting high and mighty about it I believe most Thais do still prefer western visitors in terms of behaviour and manners. When I ask my Thai wife if she likes the Russians "god no, they look terrible", Indians "no, too smelly", Arabs, "no !" and Chinese "omg, no"., westerners "yes, I like them". Sums it up really. Not that we're racist of course......

I assume you're a Westerner, so what do you expect her to say? That she loves Indians and hates Westerners?

I think she's just intimidated by big groups of men holding hands. Come to think of it, so am I.

You want to increase tourists you need to instill confidence. There are too many Thai low life's on the streets scamming, assaulting, robbing, raping and murdering tourists. I would like to see a mandatory one year jail time to any Thai who assaults a farang. The current 500 baht fine just don't build confidence that the government cares about the safety of it's tourists. Let the world know you are serious about crime and things are changing .... But do it and just don't say it !

You want to increase tourists you need to instill confidence. There are too many Thai low life's on the streets scamming, assaulting, robbing, raping and murdering tourists. I would like to see a mandatory one year jail time to any Thai who assaults a farang. The current 500 baht fine just don't build confidence that the government cares about the safety of it's tourists. Let the world know you are serious about crime and things are changing .... But do it and just don't say it !

What a stupid idea and bordering on being racist. So they should have a minimum of one-year jail for assaulting a white person, but what about assaulting other people? Are you saying that white people are better and need more protection? And what about a farang assaulting a Thai? Surely the same sentencing should apply to everyone. Also, your post is a more than a little hysterical. I suggest you stay away.

• Like 2

The attitude is now out there, that Thais are free to treat tourists as they treat each other.

They murder and rape each other and the keystone cops tragically do nothing. Now they can do exactly the same to tourists, and they are surprised as to why tourists may choose to not visit.

The comparison for raids in UK Thai restaurants would be a raid on an English school, not in an internet café. And I think that digital nomads are a good market for long-term tourism. That said, this raid was coupled with my post with other unpalatable news such as the decision to allow taxi drivers with a violent history to work in tourist Phuket and, most unpalatable, the wristband and tracking news. Not that I expect it to actually happen or be enforced -- but the insult remains.

I agree that few will read, and even less will care, with a similar attitude towards the local culture in general. The point I thought I was making is that martial law is not necessarily the major issue here, at least not since curfew has been lifted.

I think martial law is the main issue, because they're talking about advance bookings that are already down. The other things you mention may well affect tourism numbers as well, but they've only been mentioned in the last few days, so I doubt they are included in this assessment. I also think things like the Phuket taxi drivers wouldn't even be reported abroad. It's hardly news at all inside Thailand, let alone outside. The wristband thing is truly bizarre but will likely be forgotten about by next week. But none of it can be helping. I think Thailand will announce some major tourism initiatives over the coming months. But I think things like having tourist safety zones just makes the place sound even more unsafe.

• Like 2

Why is it that I feel it is us against them ? That is farang and tourist against Thais. This is not good and something is really wrong here.

I am a Yank and when I visit England the Brits bust my balls but are the first to buy me a beer and have a good laugh. Go to most countries and I feel very welcomed. I even spent time in Russia recently and believe it or not everyone was great. They made me feel a home and very friendly and helpful. Thailand use to be same but it has changed. Sad very sad .....

Got nothing to do with martial law, but people are getting fed up with the fake smiles, double-pricing, dangerous roads, a policeforce corrupt beyond belief and a in general quite violent society!!

Get your house in order, and people will come back!coffee1.gif

Got nothing to do with martial law

What are you on about?

"Before travelling to Thailand check with your insurance provider that they will continue to cover for claims arising from the current situation. Some travel insurance policies exclude cover following a military coup or the imposition of martial law, and your insurance may be invalid" -uk.gov warning-

There have also been stories in European press of curfews,censorship of press,lack of human rights, torture, killings, dangers of wearing a bikini,military personnel been made Judges without the competence, intelligence,training and certainly not the qualifications to be one. Wrist bands and electronic devices tourist might have to wear under this regime is a large reason people like myself are trying somewhere new and not returning to Thailand this year

What a stupid idea and bordering on being racist. So they should have a minimum of one-year jail for assaulting a white person, but what about assaulting other people? Are you saying that white people are better and need more protection? And what about a farang assaulting a Thai? Surely the same sentencing should apply to everyone. Also, your post is a more than a little hysterical. I suggest you stay away.
No, I think I am right on track. Farang gets stabbed in Pattaya and the guy walks after a 500 baht fine. That is just crazy. It is like the courts don't care and we are the ones who are looked at as second class. Thais get away with doing what ever they want to us and get a slap on the wrist. This don't cut it in my book. When you assault a guest in your country who don't speak the language or know the lay of the land it is worst than assaulting a local. We see the effects now .... Stay away you say.... Just the same attitude that is hurting this country.
  • Like 2

If you lot think this country is so bad, why don't you go live in one of the great countries you're always talking about? All mouth, no action.

That's right ... If you don't like it here don't come, go home.

Hahaha... I think that is what this topic is all about, people are not coming and staying home. They want it to change and people come and feel welcome and safe.

You are part of the problem!

• Like 2

The attitude is now out there, that Thais are free to treat tourists as they treat each other.

They murder and rape each other and the keystone cops tragically do nothing. Now they can do exactly the same to tourists, and they are surprised as to why tourists may choose to not visit.

The whole situation in that country leaves me sick with worry. I know why my old MIL takes security so seriously especially with regard to the kids. SIL's have been demanding I keep a gun of all things for years. Perhaps it is time to talk to Uncle NeverSure.

• Like 1