Car Passport Cost and time to get?

Searched the forum and have found no definitive answer to the following:

To drive to Laos you need to get the car passport or carnet -

1. How much does this cost?

2. How long will it take to issue?

3. Can a car not on Bangkok plates apply for the book at a Bangkok transport office?

4. What would be the costs to cross in to Laos?

Thanks

Did the trip two years ago, car passport issued the same day in Bangkok if you apply before noon. Can't remember the cost, but wasn't more than 2 or 3 hundred.

My car had BKK registration plates, but i'm pretty sure they deal with all provincial license plates as well.

• 1 year later...

Just a bit of info on getting the "car passport" in Bangkok as I have just done this today.

Firstly, the document is actually called an International Transport Permit and is in the form of a little purple booklet.

In Bangkok this can only be obtained from DLT at Chatuchak, not at sub-offices.

I needed to present the Blue Book, my passport (and copy of main page and visa) and my work permit (and copy of main page plus address page).

Cost was 55 THB and that part of the process took about an hour.

During this process they repeatedly told me that I should renew my tax at the same time, but I couldn't because my car is old and needs an annual inspection and I had traveled there by BTS. The result was that the validity of the International Transport Permit is only up until my tax runs out, which is in three weeks time. This is no bother to me as I only plan to go to Laos for one week and will be back by the time it expires, but f you want to get a Permit valid for a year, you will need to renew your tax at the same time (and do the vehicle inspection if required).

Once I had the International Transport Permit I was sent to the vehicle inspection building where they charged me another 25 THB for a Vehicle Inspection Certificate, written in Thai and English stating that the car had been inspected and deemed roadworthy. This certificate also logically expires with the current inspection and tax.

All in it cost me 80 THB and I was out in about 90 minutes with both documents.

I am happy because for me this is fine, but I am posting this so that others who want the documents to be valid for a year are aware that you will need to renew the annual tax and inspection at the same time in order to get one year validity.

Hi all, have obtained a passport for my car a number of times at Pattaya Land Transport Office, Car registration book, copy of Passport required, The Passport is dated up till your tax expires, usually obtained day of application or day after.

Cost depends on who does the process, 80 to 200 Baht, depending how much they think they can get out of you.

Tom

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sakhon Nakhon Transport departement = 55 bahts included 2 "T" stickers for  the first book;  Then 55 bahts each year for renewal.  Need very few time but copy Passport and Blue book

Do it just after my annual registration 

Archived