Dual Citizen Leaving and Re-Entering The Kingdom

If a dual citizen and passport holder of Thailand and the USA left Thailand for the first time ever leaving the Kingdom and used their USA passport to go to a country that a visa was not necessary for an American citizen which passport should they use to re-enter Thailand.

As they live here permanently I would imagine using their Thai passport would be best as using the USA one again they would need to get a visa, say a 30 day tourist or whatever they are issuing on arrival now, it would expire since they don't travel out often and if they wanted to repeat this process there could be a very large overstay fine.

Is it legal to go on one and come on another?

If not is it enforced?

Are there any ramifications of having a passport that has gaps in the stamps?

What I mean by the last question is if one has an entry stamp to a country and then not having a exit stamp, but then having another entry stamp for somewhere else. I know that many people when entering Israel would ask immigration there not to stamp their passport as as other countries would not allow passport holders with an Israeli stamp entry.

Thanks,

JC

My wife holds those two citizenship's you mention

When we leave Thailand she uses the same passport she used to enter Thailand

which is course is her Thai Passport

At which point when leaving Thailand they will ask to see either a visa or green card to go to the US

or a US passport which she shows them hers.

She then of course enters the US on her US passport which requires no visa for her

Leave US with US passport & re-enters Thailand on Thai Passport

As to your stamps question again just show your a dual citizen & show the stamps in the corresponding passport

you used to leave your other country of citizenship

Any citizen of any country would never want to enter a country to which they hold citizenship with anything other than the passport they hold for that country.

Otherwise even though they are a citizen they are for all intents & purpose bound by the immigration laws that apply to non-citizens

Edited by mania
  • Like 1

Mania has it right based on my experience.

Your first paragraph seems to say that the person left or would be leaving on a US passport which might be difficult unless they came in on one.

Edited by Dante99
  • Like 1

if you always have to Leave with the same passport you left with, then there will be one of two passports that will never never be used ever again.

Wifey usually thinks a little on which passport she will be offering each time she's heading back up to Thailand. It depends, for her, on how long she wants to stay for.

Only once ever did she cop any flak from Immigration at BKK, when she was accosted by an old bat in Uniform, on why she's not using her Thai passport?, when she was born in Thailand originally.

Did you note that? It was nothing to do with what Passport she last used, but the old bat was in wifey's face only because of some ethnicity at Birth balderdash.

It is, from the Users perspective, all about for what sort of trip is being made each time?, and to Pre-decide about from which location you will always regard as being the Start of your journey?

In wifey's case, she always regards OZ as her Start-point of any and every Return Trip.

if you always have to Leave with the same passport you left with, then there will be one of two passports that will never never be used ever again.

Sorry that makes no sense

You leave the country with the same passport you entered it with period.

You then enter & leave the next country with the passport of that country. (If you hold one )

A dual citizen is often traveling between the two countries they hold citizenship's for.

The two passports are equally filled on any given trip.

Edited by mania
  • Like 2

Using OZ Passport makes wifey feel more Hi-So

That is fine if she is staying a short time.

But for Thai's returning to a residence of course they do not want to be

held to immigration laws ( visa,90 day checks etc. )

I actually know an older Thai man. Went to the US for College & stayed to work for

US company the majority of his working life.

For some reason when he moved back years ago he entered on his US passport which he obtained after years of living & working in the US

He actually was paying a visa service for years to do his retirement visa's & 90 day reports. Even though he was in fact a Thai citizen

Of course they never told him what I did....That it was a simple matter of leaving Thailand at any border

& returning on his Thai Passport to never need to do those things or pay those fees again

He was happy to do so smile.png

Edited by mania
  • Like 1

one question here! Upon disembarkation - will 2 sets of Disembarkation; and for Arrival: 2 Arrivals Cards need to be filled out?? - seeing as 2 separate passports are seen each time?

No because for example the US passport was not used in Thailand except sometimes if asked.....

as proof of where you came from since your Thai passport does not have a stamp leaving another country

since you last left Thailand & also when leaving in lieu of needing a visa to board a plane to a country which a Thai would need a visa for

but the dual citizen does not.

Same on Arrival just the one card for the one passport about to be used.

Edited by mania
  • Like 2

Your first paragraph seems to say that the person left or would be leaving on a US passport which might be difficult unless they came in on one.

Actually didn't say as I guess I didn't think it out throughly but will now advise to exit on Thai.

I did say this is their first time leaving because they never came in as they have never been out of Thailand.

Thanks for clearing this up. I will now tell then they need to get a Thai passport but luckily the turn around time is only a week and costs 1000 bht.

Any other words of wisdom always appreciated!!

JC

Edited by junglechef
  • Like 1

Actually didn't say as I guess I didn't think it out that much but will now advise to exit on Thai.

I did say this is there first time leaving as they never came in as they have never been out of Thailand.

Sorry JC I see that now & yes even though their 1st trip out they would want to use their Thai Passport

so when they return they would be entering on it without incident

Of course if leaving as a Thai citizen they will be asked for a visa to the next country if it is one that requires one

of Thai's. Being she also holds a US passport that will satisfy that question for them by just showing the US passport

Edited by mania
  • Like 1

one question here! Upon disembarkation - will 2 sets of Disembarkation; and for Arrival: 2 Arrivals Cards need to be filled out?? - seeing as 2 separate passports are seen each time?

Pity the folks who have 3, 4 or even 5 passports, they much have so many cards and stamps.

It is just so complicated, lucky your wife has her acts together hi so and all.

Pity the folks who have 3, 4 or even 5 passports, they much have so many cards and stamps.

Actually it is not complicated at all & you have no more stamps or cards than a single passport holder has.

Chicog said it best or most simply

"Whatever passport you enter with, you leave with."

Also I actually envy those with dual citizenship. It is a nice benefit in these days of

scrutiny in banking etc.

Edited by mania
  • Like 1

Don't be sorry about a small confusion on a quite confusing matter. I'm sorry if I sounded like I was due an apology.

But you might have to apologize for assuming it was a women to anybody who gets offended by such things (which is not me nor the gentleman in question :) )

• Like 1

My wife holds those two citizenship's you mention

When we leave Thailand she uses the same passport she used to enter Thailand

which is course is her Thai Passport

At which point when leaving Thailand they will ask to see either a visa or green card to go to the US

or a US passport which she shows them hers.

She then of course enters the US on her US passport which requires no visa for her

Leave US with US passport & re-enters Thailand on Thai Passport

As to your stamps question again just show your a dual citizen & show the stamps in the corresponding passport

you used to leave your other country of citizenship

Any citizen of any country would never want to enter a country to which they hold citizenship with anything other than the passport they hold for that country.

Otherwise even though they are a citizen they are for all intents & purpose bound by the immigration laws that apply to non-citizens

My second daughter has Thai and US passports. During the past three years she has travelled several times between the two countries the way your wife does it.

No problem in the USA... my mee pahn-hah in Muang Thai.

• Like 2

Don't be sorry about a small confusion on a quite confusing matter. I'm sorry if I sounded like I was due an apology.

But you might have to apologize for assuming it was a women to anybody who gets offended by such things (which is not me nor the gentleman in question smile.png )

laugh.pnglaugh.png No problem & I did actually start my reply to you with "even though their 1st trip out"

but later must have gotten yours & tifino's posts confused wai2.gif

• Like 1

Actually it is not complicated at all & you have no more stamps or cards than a single passport holder has.

Also I actually envy those with dual citizenship. It is a nice benefit in these days of

scrutiny in banking etc.

Re the topic, yes I know it is not complicated, family members have been doing it for more than a decade.

Re Dual citizen banking, be careful. Some banks are asking for signatures on forms with details about dual citizenship required or at least requested, I have seen those forms. Other banks have yet to do that.

Re Dual citizen banking, be careful. Some banks are asking for signatures on forms with details about dual citizenship required or at least requested, I have seen those forms. Other banks have yet to do that.

Yes I don't mean doing anything illegal I just mean it is

easier for instance for a Thai to open an account in Thailand with less hoops & forms than a Foreigner

Same in the US...Being a citizen you just give your SS# & state you are a citizen & much easier to open accounts for checking savings etc.